PDA

View Full Version : t-rex texture LW8

Darth Buss
02-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Hey folks.

Ive been modeling in LW8 for a couple of years, but have yet to learn decent texturing. I now have built a t-rex and suddenly i have to color the bugger. Up until now i have built spaceships and other stuff that needs one texture pr surface, but the trex should be light at the belly and dark at the back and even darker round the eyes and so forth. Different bumpmaps to different parts would also be nice.
How do i go about doing that? Has it got something to do with weightmaps? I realy need some pointers here.

Thanks in advance.

Hopper
02-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Weightmaps and/or Vertex Color Maps will deinately suit your best interests for that kind of texturing. William Vaughan has a great video tutorial on that. He uses them for some basic coloring of a cartoon-like character, but the same method will apply to what you are trying to accomplish.

This should give you a better idea anyway. Hope it helps.

Using Vertex color Maps (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/color.mov)

RebelHill
02-21-2009, 02:13 PM
u can use weights or vc maps as hopper says, in conjunction with procedurals and stuff... u can get some very natural lookin results that way... u can also UV the thing and paint maps in photoshop, which is more intuitive in a way, and lets u define/design the detail exactly without having to try and nudge procedurals about.. but its less interactive/tweakable...

Myagi
02-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Just curious, won't procedurals only work with UV projection methods, which will look strange if the object is animated (deformed by bones)?

EricJohnson1
02-21-2009, 03:41 PM
You can also paint something out in photoshop then import it into your 3D model.

SplineGod
02-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Procedurals work fine. you basically use the weight maps with gradients with blending set to alpha to blend between texture layers, UV maps, image maps etc.

Darth Buss
02-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks guys.

Next question: I can create weight maps, but how do i assign texture to a weight map?

SplineGod
02-22-2009, 08:06 AM
You create a gradient with its input parameter set to weight map. Its blending mode is set to Alpha.

Darth Buss
02-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Tjek.

But how about the bump map. Can it also be localized by weight maps? I cant seam to find an input parameter for the bump?

Also: When i make the basecolor green and make a gradient red and assign it to a weight map with blend set to alpha, the gradient shows up on the render as a lighter green but with no trace of the red color. tis not to be wished. What am i doing wrong?

SplineGod
02-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Do you undersand how an alpha works?
Its purpose is to blend between two layers (assuming your using layers). So you need a red layer, a green layer and then a gradient layer whose input parameter is set to weightmap and blending mode set to alpha.

Darth Buss
02-22-2009, 11:55 AM
ok, so the gradient layer doesnt carry any color information it self, but only the opacity information for blending the layers? Have i got it right?
But how to add layers? Aside from choosing the base color, all i can find is image map, gradient and procedural from the "add layer" in the surface editor.

Sorry to be asking all this newbie stuff, but you are really helping me out here ;o)

SplineGod
02-22-2009, 12:06 PM
That is correct. The gradient uses a greyscale to determine which parts of the weight map are more or less transparent when blending the tow layers.

Those are the only types of textures LW supports.
You can blend any two layers. It doesnt matter which type of layer they are.
Id suggest doing some poking around the manuals. All this is explained :)

Darth Buss
02-22-2009, 12:09 PM
So, if i were to wish for a layer containing a complete color besides the base color, i would make a gradient with the desired color at both 0% and 100% ?
(you mentioned a green and a red layer to blend earlier)

Darth Buss
02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Sorry, didnt catch the last part.
I will look in to it. Thanks for your help man, it is much appreciated.

SplineGod
02-22-2009, 07:06 PM
You can also use greyscale image maps as an alpha layer too.

Revanto
02-25-2009, 01:27 AM
I suggest you start off by making the bump maps for your dinosaur because it will be easier to make colour, specular, reflect, etc... maps from the bump map.

I also suggest you try getting into texture baking using the Surface Baker plugin.

This video might help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpTbfw8Dp0w

Finally, I suggest you composite the sucker in Photoshop. So, instead of fiddling around with settings in Lightwave, you render out different passes and put it all together in Photoshop. It may sound like too much work but, trust me, it will save you alot of stress. Plus, you will find it easier to just render a new lighting pass instead of re-rendering the whole scene each time.

Hope this is useful.

Good luck!

Revanto :p

Revanto
02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I should add that it's better if you use desaturated photos of lizard skin to create your textures. Use lots of different kinds and layer them to get a seamless texture. Bake out different textures at different angles using the technique mentioned above and composite them in Photoshop to get a complete greyscale bump map.
Using photos will give a better realism to the final result.

Rev.