PDA

View Full Version : Is this why it takes 29 minutes to rendeR?

EricJohnson1
02-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Hello.

Im new here so sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum.

I just downloaded Maxwell demo plugin for lightwave and when I render it takes 29 minutes to full render!!

Is this because I have a 256mb card and running on my laptop?

Thank you

HelioAraujo
02-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Hi Eric,

You can set the time for your render inside layout:
http://www.oculusdexter.eti.br/LW/renderTime_Maxwell.jpg

Regards,
Helio

evenflcw
02-21-2009, 06:49 AM
No, it took 29 minutes because you started the render 29 minutes before it finished...

Seriously, there is not enough information about the scene or your system to say whether it was quick or not, whether your memory was a bottleneck or not. It's also my understanding that maxwell with it's unbiased rendering/light simulation/whatever is not the fastest thing on the market, although the results are really nice.

Also the graphics card was likely not used at all for rendering. Few renderer engines utilize the gpu.

Amurrell
02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Non-biased rendering takes a long time to calculate since the software is using real light physics to generate the image. I think Maxwell also resamples the image area over and over again like other non-biased renderers and continually refines the image from a grainy look to a more smooth look. Depending on your scene and lights and setup in general you could be looking at times in the range of hours for a complete render using non-biased rendering.
As evenflcw said above, your hardware isn't the problem with rendering, at least not the graphics card. You can get just as good renders with LightWave and using its global illumination a lot faster in interpolated modes, but if you want true light simulation I'm afraid it takes some time in apps like Maxwell.

EricJohnson1
02-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Guys Im still very confused. But I now have another problem. I'm making a video..

1. When I pick a material i always have to find a jpg file or png file that is associated with that material.

2. It takes 29 minutes (more or less) to render.

Video is underway!!

Im still confused

EricJohnson1
02-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Im sorry for the double post heres the video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHMzCtbhcE

evenflcw
02-21-2009, 05:28 PM
In LW surface settings are saved to objects not the scene. So saving the scene only is not enough if you like to keep your surface settings. That is likely why you loose your surface settings. You must save objects aswell as the scene! There are a couple of "Save All Objects And Scene" scripts/plugins around to make this a quick process.

The 30 minute render was already addressed by Helio I suppose. (I haven't used Maxwell)

EricJohnson1
02-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Where do I download plugins?

:embarrassed:

evenflcw
02-21-2009, 06:06 PM
www.flay.com mostly. There are some odd plugins floating around this board aswell.

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2017

EricJohnson1
02-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Man you guys are helpful!

Also, I have the trial edition so I don't have a manual. >.<

Thanks, though!

JeffrySG
02-21-2009, 09:13 PM
You should be able to download the manuals from your products area, just fyi. PDF files. I'm pretty sure that I was able to when I only had the trail version.

EricJohnson1
02-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks!

All problems solved!

Exception
02-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Any particular reason you're using *slow* maxwell instead of the native render engine?

EricJohnson1
02-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Any particular reason you're using *slow* maxwell instead of the native render engine?

The materials Maxwell has to offer. But I still want to get use to texturing in lightwave. I still don't know how some people get these picture perfect renders. So I'm watching William's videos. Hopefully they'll help me. I know it has something to do with nodes.

Besides, I still have NO IDEA on how to use Maxwell render. Just because when I click render in lightwave, no matter how long I set the render time to, it always comes out grainy. So still doing some research on that...

caesar
02-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Maxwell needs time to render, to clean the image noise. It runs like Fprime, it can go on forever improving the render. That time limit (30 min-default) is just the time you need to see if the render is going well hehehhe The result is fabulous, but itīd take 2-3 hours for a simple image (20-30 min compared in LW)