PDA

View Full Version : Best Lw To Maya Modeling/texturing Technique?

Cobalt
08-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Is it possible to open LWO's with full texturing (i.e. UV's, surfaced baked radiosity, gradients, image maps, procedurals, microwave, etc.) in Maya? If not, what is the best translator tool to do this?

I can import OBJ's OK, but it sickens me to have to try and do the surfacing / texturing that I can accomplish with such ease in Lightwave.

Any help is appreciated.

Dodgy
08-14-2003, 06:17 AM
I use deep exploration (www.righthemisphere.com) but you'll need a copy of maya if you want to export, similarly for 3ds max.

It exports surfacing and uvs, animation and weightmapped skinned objects. It's very useful, and version 3 has just come out...

Cobalt
08-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Thanks Dodgy. I've installed an older 2.0 Deep Exploration demo. Just to be able to browse LWO / LWS files as thumbnails makes it well worth the $299 price.

But as to my task, I wasn't able to successfully translate LWO w?surfaces, textures, UV, etc to Maya 4.5 with this demo version ... and for some reason, I can only download 3mb out of the full 10mb of demo version 3.0.

One last (multi) question then. What version of Lightwave, Maya and Deep Exploration have you been using and are you satisfied with the result? (For example, does your LW model end up turning into tringles or something?)

Thanks!

Mylenium
08-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Well, It should be no problem at all. I succesfully used objects from 7.5 and got them into Maya 4.5/ 5 via DE 2. You have still to obey some basic rules, though, which are in principle the same as for using OBJ. (only one UV set, no discontinous UVs, clean geometry). Also you will never get a perfect conversion. Especially tweaking surfaces and UVs cannot be avoided entirely since Maya and LW interpret certain settings in a different way.

Mylenium

Dodgy
08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
Yeah I back up My on that one, for example, Maya surfaces have ambient colour and a incandesence colour instead of an Luminosity. But I seem to remember I did get it to work with multi uv maps (maya does support them) and discontinuous UVs as I've been using it on game objects for the past 2 years....

Cobalt
02-04-2004, 10:29 AM
I finally purchased Deep Exploration but have not been able to see my texured model the way I see it in LW Modeler. The model has 3230 triangles, no sub-D's, 1 UVMap.

In DE, the 7 surfaces show up, but the UVMap with baked radiosity shadows is missing.

Once translated to Maya, it shows up as default grey. The Hypershade shows the surface names ... but they are all black.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cobalt
02-04-2004, 11:23 AM
My problem was in Deep Explorer. I needed to open the Materials Properties panel and reassign the UV texture map. It had lost the connection to the LW images folder.

Also, upon exporting back out to Maya, I specified the UV texture map to be saved in the proper "sourceImages" project folder.

The process works fine now and I'm very pleased with the results.

jin choung
02-04-2004, 01:46 PM
i do this everyday:

first, you MUST use UV MAPS to play all your textures.

second, you MUST make all your texture bitmaps. so if you are using any procedurals, etc etc, you have to bake them into bitmaps.

use deep exploration (or even the lw obj converter) to make an obj and open it in maya.

in maya, you will find that all the SURFACES that you've created and the associated polys are correctly maintained in maya.

all you have to do is:

1. open hypershade and note all the MATERIALS already there. these materials (they would be PHONG) correspond to your surfaces in lw.

2. simply open up each material and RE-ASSIGN the bitmaps because that's the connection that is lost when you send over to maya.

3. you're done.

jin

meshmaster
02-04-2004, 01:55 PM
wouldn't it be a LOT cheaper to just use fbx file format to convert?

Cobalt
02-04-2004, 02:22 PM
I guess I could have gotten this done without purchasing Deep Explorer? Oh well, I can't say that I regret the purchase. After a day of use, I'm impressed with the program. After experimenting with single model objects, I tried translating a fairly complex scene to Maya and it worked out pretty well.