PDA

View Full Version : DAZ Mimic Disaster

pilkiwilky
02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
I bought DAZ mimic specifically to do some character animation and now wonder if it's even possible!

The DAZ tech support team were dismally helpful to be kind...

They told me they had no clue how it worked with Lightwave.

Anyway, my issue is this... When I load my character it into Mimic, it asks me for a CR2 and DMG file for the character.

I have no clue what these are or how to create them... apparently nor do the rocket scientists who created the thing!

Anyone know what to do at this step?

Thanks for your help...

jasonwestmas
02-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I would ask for their president or regional director pronto!

pilkiwilky
02-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I told the guy I wanted to speak to his supervisor and was told his supervisor does not take calls.

RTSchramm
02-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Are you sure it isn't asking for you to create them first? I believe these two files are generated by the Mimic Pro program when you first launch the program.

Its been awhile since I loaded the program, but I'll see if I can load it with my 9.6 LW installation. I'll let you know if I'm having any issues.

Rich

precedia
02-20-2009, 04:12 PM
CR2 is related to Poser characters and contains information related to the character (for example, bones and morphs if I recall).

It is a file generated by Poser (http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/poser/index.html).

I have used Greenbriar Studio's CR2 loader to load Poser meshes with bone rigs into LightWave (http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/cr2load.htm). It works very well.

I have not used Mimic, but I suspect it is looking for your character's (facial) morph targets so that it can do its thing.

SplineGod recently posted in these forums an entry where he linked to some free tools that take sound files and produce phoneme maps for lip sync in LightWave. I'll look for the link.

I do recall that the Mimic software is way out of date, supporting LightWave version 7 or similar ancient version.

Daniel

precedia
02-20-2009, 04:15 PM
http://forum.daz3d.com/viewforum.php?f=28

SplineGod
02-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Do you have the right version of mimic?

cresshead
02-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Do you have the right version of mimic?

yeah sounds like you have the poser version of mimic...i have the lw version but havn't used it in YEARS...

Dodgy
02-21-2009, 12:53 AM
He had both Mimic and Mimic for LW installed. I helped him sort it out a bit.

Paul_Boland
02-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Since this topic has come up, can I ask about automation lip-sync software. I was considering investing in Minic but from reading the posts above it doesn't seem to be all that hot. What's a good solution to lip sync in Lightwave? I'm using version 8.5.

pilkiwilky
02-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Yes, no thanks to DAZ tech support, but thanks to some kind helpful folks on this board, I figured out that even though I installed the right plug in, LW was seeing the old poser version. I wiped it clean then reinstalled and it worked! Kinda...

I am still struggling, as I can get facial features and lips moving, but the neck bone thier instructions tell you to name 'mimic' does not seem to be working.

It is supposed to generate subtle head movements as the character speacks, but it is not working... Still appalled at DAZ zero existance of teck support....

Does anyone here know what I am doing wrong? I followed their quickstart instructions to the letter... but no head movement.

When I load their alien character and victoria, I can see the head motions (I am only talking about inside mimic)

I'm running the latest version of mimic 4 LW and am on LW8 since they done support 9

thanks for continued help!

DiedonD
02-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Why do you need to move the head inside Mimic anyway? Get the lips done as correctly as possible, and pray to God that they get saved in Layout while you close the plugin, and dont tell you that something went wrong, in which case youd have to go through all that again.

In LW Layout youll be doing the animations, both in head and in the rest of the body!