PDA

View Full Version : how do I model this?

yorkshiretyker
02-20-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm quite new to lightwave so forgive me if this is a noob question.

I'm trying to model this desktop lamp, and am having trouble doing the corogated, springy part of the stand.

It's not a spring, and almost like individual segments, not its not made up of individual peices. and wondered if there was a quick and efficient way of making this.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq65/yorkshiretyker/lamp.jpg

RollerJesus
02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
The only was I see is to create a disc that is the height you want, use the numeric panel to add enough segments so it resembles the part in the lamp.

I select the second segment down, use extender (e) and scale it down to create the bevel you're looking for. (repeat for a nice microbevel) Then deselect and repeat this for every other segment working your way down the disc.

Ideally I'd like to select every other segment and do it all at once, but if you try that, it will scale them all relative to the origin/mouse/selection and you won't get the result you want. If you find a better way, please share.

`Patrick

Myagi
02-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing what exactly it looks like, is it like a thread or individual circular segments? if it's threaded you could look at the thread tutorial movie that was linked to here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95476) the other day. You could probably do the same except add some edge bevels to make the "tips/peaks" wider.

If it's not threaded, just individual segs, couldn't you just make a disc, use multishift to bevel one segment into the shape you want and then array clone it.

Mind you I'm no modeling wizard, so it might be a case of the blind leading the blind ;)

edit: n/m I was too slow :)

Nangleator
02-20-2009, 08:43 AM
I've done things like this many times. Here's what I'd do.

Do a cross-section of an individual segment, and get the measurements as close as you can to perfect. Lathe that cross section around in a full circle, but only use 4 or 5 or 6 segments, to keep the poly count down.

Make an array of the segments to the proper length of the lamp's neck. You may have to play around with the offset of that array so that your segments overlap/butt up against each other correctly.

Once you have that built, you can add in the bends with the Magnet tool, or just bone it in Layout to give it a natural shape.

JeffrySG
02-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Ideally I'd like to select every other segment and do it all at once, but if you try that, it will scale them all relative to the origin/mouse/selection and you won't get the result you want. If you find a better way, please share.

`Patrick

You can do a normal move on those polys and they will all move in or out together.

Translate plus - right click

OR

You can use the stretch tool looking down the tube and scale up or down an even percentage using the selection as the action center.

RollerJesus
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
You can do a normal move on those polys and they will all move in or out together.

Translate plus - right click

OR

You can use the stretch tool looking down the tube and scale up or down an even percentage using the selection as the action center.

Now that is the information I've been looking for! Thanks a ton!

JeffrySG
02-20-2009, 11:07 AM
No problem! I usually use the stretch method but I just set a hot key for the translate plus so I've been using the normal move more often.

It's great for making tubes and wires thinner and thicker very quickly too! Just had to do that on a current project.

yorkshiretyker
02-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi :o)

I've just come back to see all the replies - thanks so much.

I tried doing it the long way by using the bevel tool to create the whole tube - it's not perfect, but I guess it works.

I'm going back to try it the way it has been suggested so that I can be certain that those segments are all the same size.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq65/yorkshiretyker/lamp3.jpg

mattclary
02-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I would try using the lathe tool with an offset to create a spiral. Create an shape that includes a high part and the groove part, then do the lathe so the next revolution the high part overlaps the groove part. It will probably take a lot of effort, but the results could possible be quite good.

I'm over the limit on attachments, so can't post a picture.

steamthunk
02-22-2009, 06:31 AM
I made the attached using a toroid (8 sections, 4 sides, 1m radius) deleted the faces in the "donut hole" and then used array (5 ycount, manual offset 1,1,1). Hit "Tab" to subdivide and smooth it out and then freeze if you want. Use bend tool if you need it to - well - bend. Took me more time to write this post and do the screen than the model. :)

*Pete*
02-22-2009, 06:44 AM
I would make a long, segmented but not detailed cable, UV it and use a simple, repetetive displacement map for creating the details.

or perhaps not even UV it but use a black/white gradient to create the details.

done in seconds ;)

edit: subd's of course...