PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #26 - Timepieces

Weepul
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #26 - Timepieces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Timepieces.
Clocks, watches, sundials, hourglasses, new or old or futuristic, or any other devices you can think up that track or measure time.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 25 February 2200 GMT.

R.Feeney
02-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Nice pick.
I was planning the same theme for next week :D
Ill have to put my thinking cap on now.

Mark The Great
02-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm guessing that the "Core" timer is off-limits? :D

colkai
02-20-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm guessing that the "Core" timer is off-limits? :D

Dang, that woulda been quick, a box with the IFW display node on it. :p

R.Feeney
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
It might be a little stretch to call it a time piece but it does time travel ;)
The TARDIS from Doctor Who.
The full 60 min on modeling.

colkai
02-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Oohh, neat! :)

Weepul
02-21-2009, 03:43 PM
It might be a little stretch to call it a time piece but it does time travel ;)
The TARDIS from Doctor Who.
The full 60 min on modeling.

Very nice, but indeed not quite in line with the theme... ;)

R.Feeney
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Ill just have to try another one then.
:D

RudySchneider
02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Meh, execution didn't quite meet expectations, but here it is, anyway...

RudySchneider
02-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Here's another, which took just about 50 minutes to model, but I'm gonna try to do the materials a bit more justice...

[edit] OK, now some materials...

Myagi
02-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Embarrassing as it is, another failure to beat the clock (and oh the irony with this topic). Next time Gadget, next time!

Figured I'd post it anyway.

THREEL
02-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Rudy beat me to the punch with the hour glass. Here's my version. It took me all of the 60 minutes to model it. Even the sand is modeled. I'd like to tweak the textures some more. We'll see. I tried to do ray tracing, but that was taking forever. Hope to post wires soon. I'm still using :lwicon: 8.5.

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

colkai
02-22-2009, 09:46 AM
For those who can't afford a clock. :)

This took about 20 mins to model the candle, mainly mucking about with the drip, with another 5 mins or so for the holder.

Dunno why it has this slightly stylised / superimposed look, but hey, I'm sure one of you guys will explain it. :p

EDIT: Ahh Hades! Just spotted that the handle sticks through the base :(

R.Feeney
02-22-2009, 10:06 AM
A second one from me, the full hour again. You may notice that the ticks dont line up quite right but I ran out of time to fix them.

RudySchneider
02-22-2009, 12:33 PM
One more, just 'cuz I could. This one took the full hour to model, cuz I had to wrap my head around how to "fan out" the top and bottom supports.

THREEL
02-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Here's the wires of my hour glass.

In order of appearance: Base, Feet, Legs, Glass, and Sand.

AL

Oops some setting squashed my wire png files, but you get the idea.

Nangleator
02-22-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm throwing my hat in the hourglass ring. (Good thing it's a modeling challenge, not an imagination challenge.)

I gave mine a funky shape and Dielectric material.

Oedo 808
02-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Great work everyone! I've finally made an entry after a second restart, went over the time limit by mere moments the first time :cry: and completely bodged the second attempt. Now all I have to do is texture the darn thing.

Congrats on winning the last challenge R.Feeney, a great model, it's also good that you're often the one to give these challenges a kick-start :thumbsup: I left it 'til the last minute on that challenge, then fell asleep and woke up past the deadline. :o

Nangleator
02-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Oh, 38 minutes modeling for me.

RudySchneider
02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Nicely done, nangleator. Very art-neuvo.

colkai
02-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Couldn't let it pass, had to spend a minute or two tweaking so the handle didn't show through. :)

Oedo 808
02-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Couldn't let it pass, had to spend a minute or two tweaking so the handle didn't show through. :)

If you hadn't mentioned it I might have thought it was a clever detailing of where the handle had been welded on. :p

My my, that's a big wick you have there colkai. ;)

Good job though. :)

colkai
02-23-2009, 05:20 AM
My my, that's a big wick you have there colkai. ;)

Arrghh... dag nabit, I meant to 'trim' that. Now I have to go back and put another 5 minute sin curse ye! ;) :D

Funnily enough though, your comment about the bit where the handle stuck through had occurred to me, my nana used to have something like that.

flakester
02-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Ooooh, fantastic stuff by everyone so far! :thumbsup:

I was away for the weekend, so not had time to get anything done for this one yet... I'll be scrabbling for some time later; might have to put an hourglass in so I don't feel left out! :p

Great work all.

--
flakester.

colkai
02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Ok, another 2 mins to trim the wick. I think I'm happy now. :D

Nangleator
02-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Nicely done, nangleator. Very art-neuvo.
Thank you!

After I finished I realized it wasn't as weird as what I had in my head. I got wrapped up in which polys should be inside glass, which should be outside glass and which should be sand, and I lost a lot of focus.

I kind of envisaged a Klein bottle hourglass, which is a pretty funny thing to think about.

colkai
02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Lovely looking thing though Nangleator and the surface is just drool-worthy. :)
Edit: Just found my next idea, hopefully should get time over the next 48 hours to get it done!

flakester
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, the model nor the render turned out exactly like the idea in my head; I guess sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you.

Digital watch face / case. about 25 mins to model, not much on top of that again to sort the rest out. Was going to attempt a strap for it, but if I'm honest, I knew it would take me over the limit so I didn't even start!

Some fantastic work here folks. :thumbsup:

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
02-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Another one, I really need to get a life :D
25 min modeling and about the same getting the scene set and about the same for the surfacing.
And as flakester said "Some fantastic work here folks"

Nangleator
02-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh, sweet work, guys!

lesterfoster
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
I bought this clock a couple of weeks a go. I thought I would model and enter it in this weeks speed modeling challenge.

I used EasySPLINE to model the frame. The hands are just basic polygon modeling. The numbers are a photo from the real clock..

The first attachment photo is of the real clock. The next is wires from within modeler. And the rest are sample renders with different surfaces.

flakester
02-24-2009, 03:44 AM
Another retro-digital-number. One of those alrarm clocks that makes the most annoying sound known to man or beast.

Three minutes shy of the full hour for modelling, pure brute-force techniques.... pretty much nothing down the line of efficiency here!

Roughly 40 mins for the materials, textures and layout.

Scene and model available if anyone fancies a good laugh at bogging down their system!

--
flakester.

R.Feeney
02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
45 minutes for modeling, I should have used the last 15 optimising it a bit but I was just too lazy.

I have a few ideas for the next challenge but if there is anything you particularly want to try your hand at, speak up now.

Hopper
02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh, how I had great aspirations for this challenge. Nothing like an absolutely horrid work week to steal away your creativity and imagination.

I got a whole 5 minutes into working this challenge and got called into the office. That was last Friday. I've had an entire 5 minutes of free time ever since. So, I thought I'd at least share my idea. Very do-able in an hour using some basic primitives and some quick thinking.

My idea for "Time Pieces" was a scattering of pocket watch pieces (gears, springs and such), maybe a watch hand or two - sitting next to a broken hour glass with the sand scattered about in a pile, that of which sits on top of a history book. You can see a basic digital clock and a few candles in the background. And all this sits atop a faded old calendar.

Man, that would have been cool... dammit. All pretty basic shapes and all lends itself to more or less a texturing exercise rather than modeling... I can see the scene in my mind now .. ala Otacon style.

Damn I hate work sometimes...

Oedo 808
02-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Some more very nice models coming in.

@lesterfoster, good work there, with a higher res or a little more AA I think you'd have achieved a very natural look with your third entry.

@flakester, yup, that render envokes the rage that all wailing alarm clocks bring out in me, so a good job. (lol @ l33t O'Clock).

@R.Feeney, cool stuff, if I would have done another model it would have been a classic ringing alarm clock. Those luminous spots are bang on.

@Hopper, yeah it sucks when things get in the way of these, I've been trying to set up the render on mine for hours! If I miss the deadline or have to post a half-arsed render I'm going to be really cheesed off.

flakester
02-25-2009, 03:11 AM
Agreed. Very, very nice stuff from everyone.

--
flakester.

Oedo 808
02-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Almost too much effort, anyway I hope this uploads in time, a clocktower. Lots of LWCAD, a bit of a cheat really.

Nangleator
02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Holy schmokes! That's one big clock!

A silent film star could be hanging up there with his whole extended family!

Great job, Oedo.

colkai
02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Talk about cutting it fine!
Here we go, Water-thief (ancient water clock).
Not thrilled with the surfacing but ran out of time.

flakester
02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Awesome stuff everyone, a wonderful scope of entries; a fair few items in there that wouldn't even have entered my mind! ~8-S
:thumbsup:

--
flakester.

Oedo 808
02-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Holy schmokes! That's one big clock!
Why thank you. :hey:

A silent film star could be hanging up there with his whole extended family!

Lol, yeah I suppose I could have tweaked the scaling in Layout, but I barely got it rendered. I wanted to do a shot looking up, but I missed putting in the underside polies of the arching, :cry: Still, I could have used some DOF, but ran out of time. I spent bloody ages setting this up, was cheesed off enough about having to restart because I ran over time by a couple of minutes on the modelling.

Looks a bit funky in places because I had to composite the grass in (silhouette, not that it's that visible anyway) as it doesn't render with FPrime (Sasquatch), and it was a rush job.

Great job, Oedo.

Thanks man. :thumbsup:

Great work all, I should really make the effort to enter all of these as I find them extremely beneficial to my learning.

Nice original entry there, colkai.

Plugins used:
LWCAD (2.5) (http://www.wtools3d.com/)
JulienneRT (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=0186594d)

R.Feeney
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Almost too much effort, anyway I hope this uploads in time, a clocktower. Lots of LWCAD, a bit of a cheat really.

An impressive size indeed. And using LWCAD is hardly cheating:thumbsup:

Another retro-digital-number. One of those alrarm clocks that makes the most annoying sound known to man or beast.

Three minutes shy of the full hour for modelling, pure brute-force techniques.... pretty much nothing down the line of efficiency here!

Roughly 40 mins for the materials, textures and layout.

Scene and model available if anyone fancies a good laugh at bogging down their system!

--
flakester.
Nice one, back when I worked something very much like that was the nightmare that used to wake me:l33t:

Talk about cutting it fine!
Here we go, Water-thief (ancient water clock).
Not thrilled with the surfacing but ran out of time.

I was eyeing up a water clock too, very different to this type though. All wheels and funnels and chains, a bewildering array of them.
I much prefer your one :D

JCG
02-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Did it work?
Did this get posted seven minutes ago??

JCG
02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Argh! No!

Oh, I know what happened. I did not get to model the flux capacitor! :thumbsdow

This will teach me to leave things for the last moment but I fell asleep >_<;; Left modeling at 54 mins because Wednesday was almost over in GMT, Rendering 1.7 seconds, texturing... what texturing?!

Edit: Oh! it ends at 2200! OK, never mind, sorry, nothing to see here. *whistles innocently and dashes for the left exit*
I'd need to find some Libyans to go back that far!

R.Feeney
02-25-2009, 05:14 PM
If it had worked and showed as seven minuts ago it still would have been 2 hours late.
Sorry.

Nice work man:thumbsup:

R.Feeney
02-25-2009, 05:24 PM
I have a list of possible subjects for the next challenge, if someone would care to pick a number between 1 and 20 it would help tremendously.

I just cant decide

JCG
02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Seven!
Oh, no. Now it's going to be my fault?

R.Feeney
02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Number seven you say :D

RollerJesus
02-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm going with 4...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/random_number.png

colkai
02-26-2009, 03:21 AM
Was so pushed for time, forgot to add, model took around 45 minutes all told, mainly of the tweaking / detailing. I'm going to continue with this as I don't like the surfacing so want to "finish it off". As it is, you can't actually see the bump detailing on the base can and I would of likes to put some marks on the 'riser' marker on the basecan which is your time indicator.

RFeeney: I think I know what you mean, I saw one which was like a clock dial with a funnel and unit. :)

R.Feeney
02-26-2009, 07:24 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95749
the next challenge is posted. If you dont like the subject its all JCGs fault :D
If RollerJesus had gotten there first with 4 ye would have had Musical Instruments

art
02-26-2009, 10:57 AM
[url]If RollerJesus had gotten there first with 4 ye would have had Musical Instruments
Such as tubas and trombones? :)

R.Feeney
02-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Or drums and bagpipes.
Yup

Weepul
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm late! 8/

Forgive me!

Nice work from everyone, as usual. Tough to pick just one! My top pics came down between RudySchneider's egg time (http://newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=839119&postcount=15) and Odeo 808's clock tower (http://newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=841303&postcount=37). In the end my choice goes to Odeo 808, because LW-CAD or not, that's just one fine piece of architectural modeling. :thumbsup: ...even if it's floating off the ground. ;)

@RudyScneider: A few fine entries. I've never quite understood how sun dials are supposed to work, but yours sure looks about right. ;) Your second hourglass (the egg timer) is a nice improvement over the first - more crisp and better definition all around.

@Colkai: Attack of the revisions! Your candle was simple but pleasant. The flame wasn't modeled, I take it? As for the water-thief, another neat take on an unusual timepiece. What's with the super-dense bit of polys at the base of the stair object?

@R.Feeny: You were rather prodigious here. :D Makes sense if I "stole" your topic... Nice work all around, and I particularly like the design of your pendulum clock. The wallward halo lighting from it is a nice touch, though not really a modeling aspect. The alarm clock was the least successful, I think - no fault of the technicalities of the model - just something about the proportions of the design seems off to me.

@Nangleator: Good to see a creative design spin, though I have to say it doesn't go over all that well with me. 8~ You could have pushed the definition of the shape more - as it is, is has that strong, slightly too blobby and artificial "subpatches" look.

@flakester: Nice start with the watch face. Too bad you didn't get to the band - a nice leather band might not have taken you too long, or following a "tank tread" tutorial for a link band. Bonus points for the menu selections, though that's not a modeling aspect. ;) The clock radio looked about right, but as you noted, the modeling was far from clean.

@lesterfoster: Nicely accomplished for what you were aiming to get. A bit too simple for me to give it the thumbs-up - but well done for what it is. :)

@Odeo 808: Congrats! :) I think the supports for the upper border/railing on the wall is what sold me. Even if it IS floating off the ground. :hey:

Nangleator
03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Congrats, Oedo! I loved that tower.

Yes, my blobby hourglass was kinda lame. I was counting on the material to really sell the shot. I didn't have a final shape in mind, so I didn't achieve it. Heh. Valuable learning experience!

flakester
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
!w00t!

Congrats Oedo! :thumbsup:
Well done to all.

--
flakester.

RudySchneider
03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Way to go, Oedo!

Oedo 808
03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
w00t! Thanks guys!

Thanks weepul! I'm extremely chuffed that you liked it. Of course it was a post-modern work of art to signify 'time flies' *cough, cough* :D

I have to say trying to work out a good way to approach Rudy's egg-timer ends makes my ears smoke, nice work :thumbsup:

Well done to everyone, I've said it before but I'm glad these challenges are still popular, even though I sometimes miss them out. :o

Thanks for the congratulations. :thumbsup:

I loved that tower.
Bonus points for that man there. :)

Right, enough smilies, except to say... :dance:

Cheers.

colkai
03-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Your candle was simple but pleasant. The flame wasn't modeled, I take it?
It was actually, just a textured sub-D shape. :)

What's with the super-dense bit of polys at the base of the stair object?
That was me, determined to throw some LWCAD profiling in. :D :p

Congrats to Odeo 808. :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
03-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Nice work Oedo :)