PDA

View Full Version : Keyframes Seem To Be Linked

Meshman
02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Mac 9.6UB. Working in the graph editor, manipulating simple cubes using position + rotation keys. I set up position keys for the entire animation and noticed something strange when I began to manipulate the rotation keys. Repositioning rotation keys left or right also moves the corresponding position key (i.e., moving Rotation.P would also move Position.Y ). It's as if they're linked.

This happens even if only the rotation channel is in the bin. Also, undo would only work on the rotation key, leaving the position key in the new frame.

Initial workaround is to add a new key to the individual channel, but keeping track of which keys were added will become a PIA. Am I missing something, or does this sound like a bug candidate?

toby
02-20-2009, 02:09 AM
It shouldn't do that unless there's an expression or modifier assigned to it. Can you try it in a new scene just to be sure? And maybe delete your preference files too.

You'd be better off posting this in the Mac section too, Chilton (lead mac programmer) is there constantly.

meshpig
02-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Mac 9.6UB. Working in the graph editor, manipulating simple cubes using position + rotation keys. I set up position keys for the entire animation and noticed something strange when I began to manipulate the rotation keys. Repositioning rotation keys left or right also moves the corresponding position key (i.e., moving Rotation.P would also move Position.Y ). It's as if they're linked.

This happens even if only the rotation channel is in the bin. Also, undo would only work on the rotation key, leaving the position key in the new frame.

Initial workaround is to add a new key to the individual channel, but keeping track of which keys were added will become a PIA. Am I missing something, or does this sound like a bug candidate?

That sounds a bit like you're not accounting for the other channels if you are graphing only 2 channels without keying all first.

Say for example you have a camera keyed at frame 0 @ 0,0,0 for all coordinates and you graph/assign 2 keys only @ frame 7 say for heading and x axis, all the other channels are going to still be keyed at frame 0 when you hit frame 7.

They're linked in as much as with only one or 2 keys a curve will bulge and between the 2 assigned keys on pos/rot you'll get coordinates which appear to be out of shape. Better to key all first then edit.

m:)

Meshman
02-20-2009, 07:32 AM
All channels were keyed from the start. It looks like the preferences were causing the problem. Trashed 'em and the problem disappeared.

Thanks guys.

toby
02-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Wow, glad that worked, but I didn't really expect it to! Freakin' weird.