PDA

View Full Version : New europe upgrade price?

Lee
02-19-2009, 05:57 AM
I notice in the last day or two that the NT Europe site now has the upgrade with Core membership listed. Anyone know what the deal is on the price change? Its listed as 495 Euro which means we are paying 25% more than our US counterparts. Whats up with that? Newtek, USD != EUR

495 EUR = 628.57 USD at the current exchange rate and that does not even include VAT!!!

I understand that Europe is ripe for ripping off as we are a bunch of mugs when it comes to paying for stuff, particularly in the UK but a markup of 25% is a bit excessive. The last time I enquired about an upgrade, NT Europe quoted me less than half the current price.

:thumbsdow

Edit: Actually it just occurred to me, wasn't the US upgrade price going up to 595 USD at the end of March? If so, it looks like NT Europe went for the increase immediately unlike the US. If this is the case, that sucks to not wait till end of March for the increase like the US

Myagi
02-19-2009, 07:34 AM
It's annoying indeed, but almost everything is converted 1:1 betweed USD and euro, it's not specific to NT. I hope in future with electronic upgrades, everyone will be able to purchase from a single (US) location.

The US upgrade price up until february 4th was $395, and then it was changed to $495 the day after, so the euro price has been and still is 1:1. In a way NT-eu has been generous by taking longer to update to 495.

And now for the obligatory I told you so (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=834754&postcount=21) ;)

Lee
02-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Whether other companies do it or not is beside the point, its disgusting for any company to do it and its high time something was about it to all companies large and small. I would not be so annoyed had I not sent an email to NT Europe requesting upgrade info before the change relating to whether the upgrade price of 395 EUR included the core membership. Had they confirmed I would have purchased right away. The thing is, NT Europe clearly decided not to reply to me until after the price change (they still have yet to reply to me even now) which will make it a harder pill to swallow. I agree, electronic upgrades are the way to go but you have to have an adequate system for customer communication which NT Europe are failing on at at the moment clearly

RollerJesus
02-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Whether other companies do it or not is beside the point, its disgusting for any company to do it and its high time something was about it to all companies large and small. I would not be so annoyed had I not sent an email to NT Europe requesting upgrade info before the change relating to whether the upgrade price of 395 EUR included the core membership. Had they confirmed I would have purchased right away. The thing is, NT Europe clearly decided not to reply to me until after the price change (they still have yet to reply to me even now) which will make it a harder pill to swallow. I agree, electronic upgrades are the way to go but you have to have an adequate system for customer communication which NT Europe are failing on at at the moment clearly

Ok, that's what I'll tell the storekeepers and restaurant owners next time I'm in the UK... This is disgusting!!! I expect to pay US prices for your UK product!!! That's it, I've had it, I'm writing an email!:hey:

JBT27
02-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Erm....might be losing the plot or something but I'm in the UK, bought from here a fortnight ago:

http://www.newtek.com/core/

and paid what it says.....??

Julian.

Lee
02-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Trouble is I am not on 9 so I need the upgrade which as I understand it, can not be shipped to Europe if you order from newtek.com, hence my issue with NT Europe.

And Rollerjesus, thats different. Of course things vary from region to region. The issue is the level of difference. Some difference I can deal with but 25% + 19.5% VAT is taking the mickey

Myagi
02-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Sorry to hear about your trouble Lee. I had mailed back and forth a couple of times at the end of last week. I always got an answer the next working day.

Erm....might be losing the plot or something but I'm in the UK, bought from here a fortnight ago:

http://www.newtek.com/core/

and paid what it says.....??

I'm guessing you mean the core membership, which can be bought from NT directly even from eu (or at least you could before). However buying the LW9 upgrade you're re-directed to NE-eu. I mailed NT-us about a specific question of buying it from the US, but never got a reply from them, instead they seem to have forwarded the mail to eu and I got a reply from there instead.

biliousfrog
02-19-2009, 08:21 AM
If it is the case it is a rip-off because you'll need to download 9.6 anyway, you'll only get a v9 disc and content. That's why Adobe's pricing sucks because you have to pay more to download their software in the UK than in the US despite being the same product on the same server.

Buy it through Newtek.com and see what happens or send Newtek Europe an email

JBT27
02-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Sorry to hear about your trouble Lee. I had mailed back and forth a couple of times at the end of last week. I always got an answer the next working day.

I'm guessing you mean the core membership, which can be bought from NT directly even from eu (or at least you could before). However buying the LW9 upgrade you're re-directed to NE-eu. I mailed NT-us about a specific question of buying it from the US, but never got a reply from them, instead they seem to have forwarded the mail to eu and I got a reply from there instead.

OK - I see what you mean now.....

Well, on a general point, I have never really understood why a downloadable product should not be centrally available to anyone in the world, via the internet.

If such and such company price their product at $500 say, then that's what they get from each and every one who buys it, irrespective of exchange rates, which are in this case completely irrelevant. $500 is $500 - pay by credit card if you have one.....and sorted.....simple. No-one has been ripped-off and the company gets what it expects per license.

Luxology operate a centralised selling operation and it seems to work well - you know what it will cost you, wherever you are.

Adobe are THE worst offender, as far as I'm concerned. In the UK, their products, in some cases, or the Suites rather, can be hundreds of pounds more than the dollar equivalent conversion.

There is no real excusing these ridiculous systems now - software is a transient product, frequently evolving - locking it into discs and books and boxes and shipping crates-full around the world at any given time is a pointless and costly exercise.

Julian.

aliens
02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
maybe i'm wrong but NT Europe include LWcad 3 with the upgrade to 9.6 and hardcore member .....sound good to me

Myagi
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Well, on a general point, I have never really understood why a downloadable product should not be centrally available to anyone in the world, via the internet.

The problem currently is that they don't sell non-physical upgrades (from LW8 or older to LW9 upgrade), you'll always get the box and discs. They once had a one-time special offer for LW9 pre ordering, where you could buy LW8 (physical) and get LW9 as a download once released.

However it sounded like they are planning on digital download upgrades in the future (I assume with Core), so hopefully you wont be forced to buy that from any specific region.

maybe i'm wrong but NT Europe include LWcad 3 with the upgrade to 9.6 and hardcore member .....sound good to me

yeah, it does seem they tried to make up a little for the regional price difference by bundling it LWCad for now. Might not be a big comfort for anyone that doesn't need it, or once that offer ends, but a little comforting nontheless.