PDA

View Full Version : 1ST Trailer for Aristomenis Tsirbasí Battle for Terra

Wickster
02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Saw the promo vid for this waaaay back in the San Diego NewTek SIGGRAPH party. I was wondering what happened to this. Glad it's finally close to release.

Enjoy:
http://www.moviefone.com/movie/battle-for-terra/36649/video/battle-for-terra-trailer-no-1/2430396

Wickster
02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Oh before anything else...Is this still made in LightWave? Like I said I haven't really heard anything about it since SIGGRAPH 2007.

Stooch
02-18-2009, 11:40 PM
rendered (ing) with lightwave 8.3

its basically all LW with maya being used to animate characters and exporting via MDD (beaver project).

realgray
02-19-2009, 12:16 AM
I love it

lwanmtr
02-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Looks cool. using LW as the main package should let folks know it's still capable..even if they had to use maya for characters..hehe

DiedonD
02-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Bah! AOL! Only viewable in US of your A!

Any alternative links?

akademus
02-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Nice... Will keep an eye on it!

DiedonD
02-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Heres a link for the ones that cant view it in AOL like me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plyRYrqa_4g

Art at its best again. The trailer seems to me like its done its part in dealing with the recent hot topics of the 'neccessity' of conquering other areas in seeking for 'essential' resources, which in the movie case is air itself!

kojean
02-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Sorry, but isn't that just "Terra" again? Retitled for a wider release maybe?
Yes, it seems to be a feature based on the short (http://www.menithings.com/main.php?action=movies&movie_id=16).

Here's a brief look at their studio:

THE MAKING OF AN ANIMATION STUDIO, PART 2: PRODUCTION (http://www.menithings.com/main.php?action=news&news_id=180&type=how)

Interview with "Terra" director Aristomenis Tsirbas (http://www.mania.com/mania-talks-terra-director-aristomenis-tsirbas_article_54153.html)

Now as far as Lightwave goes thatís kind of our secret weapon because where Maya does have a decent renderer, itís extremely slow. Most other renderers are also very slow and if you want to get a real high quality result it would require an unaffordable amount of computing power in our case to make the film look as good as we want it to look. We want the visuals to be near photo-real.

But Lightwave came from television and itís optimized to look good and to render quickly. Lightwave artists in the industry are known as generalists who can work very fast. In fact a few large studios have Lightwave departments and they are their secret weapons and tend to do things faster, better, and quicker than the departments using Maya and other renderers. What we did is create a pipeline between LightWave and Maya by hiring Christian Aubert, who created a program called Beaver Project, which communicates between LightWave and Maya. So the short of the long in our production pipeline is we take the Lightwave animatics and convert them into Maya. The Maya animators animate the characters and then we spit out the deformation of the characters back into Lightwave and do almost everything else in Lightwave: all the vehicle animation, all the lighting, texturing, and rendering. The rendering ends up being full quality and despite the film having a very warm, photorealistic look weíre able to get render times of more often than not an hour or less per frame using a 300 processor render farm.

Andyjaggy
02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Looks good. Is this what Stooch was working on?

Stooch
02-19-2009, 01:04 PM
yep. wrapping up this friday. its been quite the ride. (i did about 90% of the effects on the movie, we had a super small team... typical LW working scenario!)

I think we managed to pull off quite a feat considering how tiny our team was. (30 people max at any given time, most of the time it was closer to 10 or less ). i hope people enjoy it and I hope to do more of this kind of small, but hard hitting projects in the future. we definitelly used LW for what its best known for, the production speed was BRUTAL lol. anyway i dont want to blab too much about this. ill let the producers and promoters do the talking. :)

Andyjaggy
02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Well cool, it looks really fantastic, the visuals anyway. Can't say anything about the story and overall experience yet but I will definitely go see it.

Mike_RB
02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
yep. wrapping up this friday. its been quite the ride. (i did about 90% of the effects on the movie, we had a super small team... typical LW working scenario!)

Cool Stooch. I talked to Meni a bit at siggraph about this production. Sounded hectic!

Stooch
02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Well cool, it looks really fantastic, the visuals anyway. Can't say anything about the story and overall experience yet but I will definitely go see it.

Thanks. Regardless of the story - I try to just focus on the job :) it's too much fun LOL. But this story is different. I think people might find the change of atmosphere refreshing, very curious to see the reactions! Critisisms are just opportunities for improvement :)

akademus
02-19-2009, 05:14 PM

I think we managed to pull off quite a feat considering how tiny our team was. (30 people max at any given time, most of the time it was closer to 10 or less ). i hope people enjoy it and I hope to do more of this kind of small, but hard hitting projects in the future. we definitelly used LW for what its best known for, the production speed was BRUTAL lol. anyway i dont want to blab too much about this. ill let the producers and promoters do the talking. :)

If you have time and means, please share some more production details. I'm sure there is a lot of people wanting to more know.

Cool work!

Stooch
02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Sure thing. After the premiere of course.

Wickster
02-19-2009, 10:22 PM
That's awesome Stooch. Will definitely check this out when it's released. :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
02-19-2009, 11:27 PM
I missed it when it was at the Tribecca film festival last year so I'm looking forward to finally seeing it.

For those that are interested there was a whole writeup in one of the HDRI issues last year. I didn't know you were working it, Stooch! That's very cool. It would be great to hear more when you can talk more about it.

So when exactly is the premiere? And what studio picked it up?

Stooch
02-19-2009, 11:50 PM
distributed by lionsgate. premiere is in may. i think the trailer thats linked here has the exact info.

akademus
02-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks mate. Will keep an open eye for this.

JeffrySG
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Looks like they have a website now too... seems that it will be in 3d in the theaters.

http://battleforterra.com/

Cageman
03-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Sure thing. After the premiere of course.

Looking forward to it!

:thumbsup:

DiscreetFX
03-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Very cool!

evolross
05-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a question about the Real3D stuff. It played in certain theaters in 3D using this Real3D technology. Did you guys actually use a 3D-stereo pipeline and develop all the shots with that in mind or was this something just added afterward to increase the appeal of the film?