PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother Rising

sbrandt
02-18-2009, 02:49 PM
The way Gates started Microslop and the people he stepped over and on in the process should have put him in Federal prison years ago... now he's well on his way to becoming a complete damned monster.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/16/2259257&from=rss

hrgiger
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Someone has a grudge.

You know Gate has stepped down as CEO of MS?

sbrandt
02-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Of course I know.

He was kissing up to the NSA when he was still ceo.

You don't think anything this major doesn't go by him !!!

It's his Hydra, he birthed it, it will always be his.

lwanmtr
02-18-2009, 03:18 PM
There were very similar DRM issues found in early versions of Vista as well..which was one of the reasons I never got it...of course, if your using hacked s/w you're prolly gonna have problems anyway. Replacing DLL files generally causes issues.

Although, if W7 is allowing software vendors to alter firewall settings and access your system, then it is a violation of some law or right or ammendment.

warmiak
02-18-2009, 03:28 PM
The way Gates started Microslop and the people he stepped over and on in the process should have put him in Federal prison years ago... now he's well on his way to becoming a complete damned monster.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/16/2259257&from=rss

Prison ?

Just stop using Windows - what's the big deal ?

lwanmtr
02-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Not prison, although there should have been deeper investigation into the antitrust suits that were filed...M$ would have at least had heavier fines.

jasonwestmas
02-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Linux is looking mildly tasty these days. Less carcinogens it seems.

warmiak
02-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Not prison, although there should have been deeper investigation into the antitrust suits that were filed...M$ would have at least had heavier fines.

They got hit pretty bad over here as well as on the other side of the pond.

From a developer point of view I find Apple and their way of doing things much more restrictive and often bordering on ridiculous - nothing criminal or anything along these lines, but simply idiotic and paranoid - they make MS seems positively open source.

lwanmtr
02-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Linux is looking mildly tasty these days. Less carcinogens it seems.

I'll stick with Mac..too many versions of Linux to sort it out...hehe

ctuller
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
They got hit pretty bad over here as well as on the other side of the pond.

From a developer point of view I find Apple and their way of doing things much more restrictive and often bordering on ridiculous - nothing criminal or anything along these lines, but simply idiotic and paranoid - they make MS seems positively open source.

I can't agree with you more. Just look at the mess that is Cocoa-64

adamredwoods
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Read the comments below it, seems this article is misleading.

mattclary
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Please read this article:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/02/oh-the-humanity-windows-7s-draconian-drm.ars

jasonwestmas
02-18-2009, 06:27 PM
I can't agree with you more. Just look at the mess that is Cocoa-64

As far as 3D ANIMATION goes for games and film I find Apple restrictive. This is in the sense that they have the least interest in supporting the future for 3D Animation software and the most interest in supporting graphic design, print, video and audio. As a person who is very game and film oriented I think I'm a little narrow minded but it really does feel from my perspective that Apple software tends to sit on their "cash cow" mainly post production and ipod accessories and find more ways to support the things of the past niche markets while future development for the 3D community suffers. But in the end I just say whatever. . . Apple has their strengths and it doesn't seem to be in games and film.

How is final cut pro and shake doing these days anyway? I never really see that end of the pipeline as it tends to be post production, I'm on the other end of the pipe it seems. Hmm yeah.:p

akademus
02-19-2009, 03:16 AM
How is final cut pro and shake doing these days anyway? I never really see that end of the pipeline as it tends to be post production, I'm on the other end of the pipe it seems. Hmm yeah.:p

I'm looking at shake more and more these days, as well as switching ti alternate OS. Got pretty much sick and tired watching my 4-core and my 8-core xeon workstations struggle for air sometimes.

COBRASoft
02-19-2009, 05:36 AM
People thinking Linux brings the salvation for everything and everyone have to reconsider a lot I guess.
Sure Windows is not superb, MacOS is probably even worse. But Linux is a hell to introduce to 'normal' computer users like my customers, family and friends. They know Word, Excel and Outlook. For the rest, they know nothing and they don't care if Linux has 30 email programs and 150 editors to choose from. It is so easy to blame Windows and MS for everything. I blame them myself far too often and many times it is due to 3rd party software I get crashes.

Go back to the C64, now that was working well and fast. Those days are gone, for good.

warmiak
02-19-2009, 08:52 AM
People thinking Linux brings the salvation for everything and everyone have to reconsider a lot I guess.
Sure Windows is not superb, MacOS is probably even worse. But Linux is a hell to introduce to 'normal' computer users like my customers, family and friends. They know Word, Excel and Outlook. For the rest, they know nothing and they don't care if Linux has 30 email programs and 150 editors to choose from. It is so easy to blame Windows and MS for everything. I blame them myself far too often and many times it is due to 3rd party software I get crashes.

Go back to the C64, now that was working well and fast. Those days are gone, for good.

Yep.

Linux is a fine OS for running things in the background and out of sight - it simply works.

That's what I do at home with my Linux box - sometimes I do dual boot into my Linux partition on my main machine when I need to do some UNix specific development.
There is no chance in hell I would want to run it as my main desktop machine though - it is simply too primitive and messy.

Sure, there are plenty of apps but most of them are perpetual betas and generally tend to differ widely in the way they operate, often following their own GUI conventions - basically a mess.

OS X is much better ... at least there is some coherency where most apps tend to behave in generally predictable ways.

Personally I hate OS X GUI conventions .. and in terms of usability I find OS X vastly inferior to Windows but what is true for me , may not be true for others.

mattclary
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
But Linux is a hell to introduce to 'normal' computer users like my customers, family and friends.

Don't think I agree. I think the LESS people know about computers, the easier the transition. I have customers who pay me to install MS Office for them, because they just can't handle the high tech install process of "next" > "next" > serial number > "ok" > "next". If a user can launch Word and IE, they can just as easily launch Open Office and Firefox in Linux. One customer I installed it for (she was on a tight budget and needed a new machine, so went with Linux over Windows) exclaimed, "Oh! It's just like Windows!" Menus are menus to most users.

COBRASoft
02-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Don't think I agree. I think the LESS people know about computers, the easier the transition. I have customers who pay me to install MS Office for them, because they just can't handle the high tech install process of "next" > "next" > serial number > "ok" > "next". If a user can launch Word and IE, they can just as easily launch Open Office and Firefox in Linux. One customer I installed it for (she was on a tight budget and needed a new machine, so went with Linux over Windows) exclaimed, "Oh! It's just like Windows!" Menus are menus to most users.

The problem is with users that have used Windows and Office for years, they wouldn't even consider Office 2007 because of the ribbon. Language is also a problem. Here, everything must be in Dutch for these people and not mixed English and Dutch. Sorry to say, Linux is not ready to be a full-blown desktop OS in home or small office. And yes, GUI is a very important issue. As a developer I'm confronted with this everyday and that's why whole my ERP app is Office 2007 alike, even the colors :)

This is my personal experience with the customer and users in my environment and is in no way the case for everybody. I've tried to 'convert' people to Amiga back in the good days... It was a better system, but failed in the end.

jasonwestmas
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
What is the REAL issue with Linux here. I don't get what the fuss is about. If Linux is a solid system and if someone like me can read some instructions, remember where all the buttons are in my 3D apps and remember what they do, then all is left out is creative talent and how the tools permit human intuition to flow. I mean why are some of you comparing ourselves to so called "Normal" Users that don't know the difference between a disk drive and a hard drive; that think the only usable word processing program is MS Word? Are WE really in the minority here and if so, what does it matter, a good OS is a good OS, right?

BigHache
02-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Are WE really in the minority here and if so, what does it matter, a good OS is a good OS, right?

FCP is a real decent nonlinear editor, though it had a bit of a shaky release with Studio v2. Apple broke some things from studio v1 to v2. I've done Web and broadcast editing with it, no film output just yet, but it has been used on major films.

Yes, we, the computer literate, working professionals, are the minority among the masses of folks whose computer prowess encompasses Outlook, Internet Explorer, and MS Office. What makes a good OS is marketing more often than is it a good piece of software. MS has dollars and advertises, and people and businesses buy.