PDA

View Full Version : weird PM at VFX Cast - malicious?

biliousfrog
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I've just received a strange PM in my VFX Cast account, I googled the email address and found several pages containing the same message. I don't know what it's all about but I suspect that it's malicious in some way. I just wanted to give a heads up.

The message is as follows:

Hello,

Nice to meet you, how is everything, hope all is well with you. My name is avelin regato, I found your contact after reading your profile I picked interest to contact you. I've something very important which I would love to share with you privately, therefore, would advise you to kindly write me back on email at([email protected]) so that I'll give you details. Waiting anxiously for your anticipated corporation,

Yours,

avelin regato

email. [email protected]

cagey5
02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
With something like that I wouldn't even have given it a second thought. It would have hit my waste bin in the blink of an eye.

flakester
02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
With something like that I wouldn't even have given it a second thought. It would have hit my waste bin in the blink of an eye.

:agree:

Sounds like the introduction from a classic phishing / money-scamming email [I have to transfer xxxx amount of dollars out of my country because my boss died.....] but PM'd through a forum. Was only a matter of time till they started hitting the forums I suppose. :thumbsdow

Leave it well alone Bilious, hit it with a big knobbly stick! :twak:

I, and I dare say a good number of others here, appreciate the heads-up.

--
flakester.

Verlon
02-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Sounds fishy...you could create a dead email address and check it out that way, if you were so inclined.

If you're in need of a hobby, www.thescambaiter.org has some very amusing scenarios they have played on wouldbe scammers. I still love the one about Pat McGroin, professional hockey player...

biliousfrog
02-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Don't worry, I stayed well away :)

I got an email back from the admin at vfx cast:

Steve,

Thank you!

We just banned that user and were putting some security in place to stop
this from happening again.

Thank you for letting us know and we appreciate your understanding.

Cheers,

Admin Team - VFXCast.com