PDA

View Full Version : need basic Projection Mapping help please

Derrick_SA
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi there,

Guys, Please guide me in the right direction with this?

I've made a box (a product box) in Modeler, and then made a UV Map, screen captured that,

Took it to Photoshop, and put in all I wanted to be on the box on all sides.

Saved it without a background as a PNG file.

Pulled it into Surface Editor, and under the Color Texture, did the following:

Projection set to UV
UVMap set to Outside Box (the UV map I made)
Image set to map.png.

Now this is where it all goes woo-hoo for me. How do I get the right stuff to go to the right side of the box?

It's more of an exercise, cause I made a fake 3D box in Photoshop to be used,

But I thought it would look a lot cooler rendered in true 3D, and I would learn something,

But I'm stuck, so a little guidance would be appreciate alot !!

thanks,
Derrick

Derrick_SA
02-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok, it looks like it has something to do with the UV map screen capture method.

But I'm still totally lost, so some guidance would be appreciated.

thanks
- Derrick

Derrick_SA
02-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Ok, I've exported the UVmap as an .EPS file with 6 inch as the size, opened in photoshop, placed everything where it should be, then back in modeler everything is mapping properly,

the problem now, is it is very low res looking, Do I export the EPS bigger, or open it bigger in Photoshop and then bring it back to modeler and scale it?

thanks,
Derrick

MUCUS
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
You only have to choose the resolution you want when opening the eps file in photoshop (choose that in pixel). You can't choose the resolution from modeler when exporting and you won't have to resize it when importing the picture from photoshop into Lightwave.

Derrick_SA
02-18-2009, 01:00 PM
thanks,

so working at about 2k for a model that is about 200mm high and 150mm wide should suffice looks like it?

Man I still have a lot to learn, but having loads of fun doing it !

Thanks again,
Derrick

Lightwolf
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
so working at about 2k for a model that is about 200mm high and 150mm wide should suffice looks like it?

That depends solely on how much of it will be visible in the final image... and the size of the final image in pixels as well.

Cheers,
Mike

dwburman
02-18-2009, 09:01 PM
That depends solely on how much of it will be visible in the final image... and the size of the final image in pixels as well.

Cheers,
Mike

And also what resolution you'll be rendering at and how big in the frame the object/image map will be.

Lightwolf
02-19-2009, 03:09 AM
And also what resolution you'll be rendering at and how big in the frame the object/image map will be.
Isn't that what I wrote?

Cheers,
Mike

Derrick_SA
02-19-2009, 08:43 AM
thanks guys,

Derrick