PDA

View Full Version : not having 64bit has f'd me over!

Otterman
02-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Ive squished and optimised all my geometry and images as well as lowering my memory segment to 1 and im still having huge problems rendering and even opening the file....its started to hang! OK-red faced and in a huff with not having 64bit mac! so......

ive heard some of you mac lavers talk about using lw64bit PC under bootcamp. I know little about 'bootcamp' What do i need to do this? I assume i need a licened copy of xp on my machine also? Plugins wont work but it should unlock my xtra memory...correct?

kopperdrake
02-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I did mine so long ago I can't remember the way to do it, but I believe Bootcamp is on the Leopard discs (is Leopard the 10.5 release? If so then it's Leopard :)).

One thing I would recommend though, is to install on a separate hard drive. And yes, you need a copy of XP64 - Good luck!

rsfd
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi,
not using bootcamp, but afaik you will need:

- original Windows XP Home Edition / Professional (SP2) or Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business oder Ultimate installation cd/dvd
- at least 10GB HD space for Windows partition
- OSX 10.5 (latest updates / firmware)
- early 2008 MacPro, MacBook Pro (or later) for XP/Vista 64
- tranquilizer to tolerate Windows

with Windows and LW both 64-bit, your Mac should address more RAM, and you would be able to use Win-only plug-ins, but 3rd party Mac plug-ins will not work, unless you can download an appropriate Windows-version for free (are there any Mac-only plug-ins - I can't imagine).
I think, Vista is said to install/run more comfortably, as bootcamp offers better support for Vista.

And '3dworks' runs a XP64 install, maybe he can tell you more.

Otterman
02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Good good-thanks guys that's all fab information! Just need ole 3dworks to pipe in now n my jorney 2 the darkside will b complete! I just know people at work are gonna ask why I don't just go pc! NEVER!

Regarding newtek-how do I stand regarding my macUB32 licence. . I don't need another one do I? Just need to request a pcUB64 one?

3dworks
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Good good-thanks guys that's all fab information! Just need ole 3dworks to pipe in now n my jorney 2 the darkside will b complete! I just know people at work are gonna ask why I don't just go pc! NEVER!

Regarding newtek-how do I stand regarding my macUB32 licence. . I don't need another one do I? Just need to request a pcUB64 one?

have a serach for the many bootcamp related threads in this forum, those are full of tips and how to's...

yes, you can use most of your plugins under win x64 - just a few of the commercial ones are not 'double OS' licensed or missing the 64 bit version. lscripts generally don't have any problems as well, they run on all platforms.

personally i've installed xp64 on all my macs, but this windows version is not officially supported by apple. the easy way for you is to use vista 64, then all drivers will be installed automatically with the bootcamp setup process.

my tip: buy a cheap extra drive for your windows partition, it's less hassles later...

cheers

markus

ps yes, you need simply to register with your serials again at the register.newtek site for windows 64. the license keys will be different. when registered you will see them together with your mac licenses in the list.

BeeVee
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Here's how to do it (http://www.lightwiki.com/Registering_another_platform_on_the_same_LightWave _v9_licence).

B

Otterman
02-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Markus, Ben thanx a plenty!

One day 64bit will be upon us weather it b in the form of ub or core, i dont know. Im just holding out for that day so we all can look back and laugh at how obserd this whole process is. I only hope my soiled mac will have forgiven me by then!