PDA

View Full Version : How to create a block hole / event horizon

circleofsmoke
02-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Hi Anyone go any suggestions or tutorials they could point me at that will help me create a convincing black hole?

Thanks for any suggestions

3DGFXStudios
02-18-2009, 03:28 AM
take a preset for a volume light from http://presetcentral.com/

SplineGod
02-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Do you have something in mind in terms of final look? Since nobody has seen a black hole its anyones guess what they might look at the event horizon :)

Red_Oddity
02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi Anyone go any suggestions or tutorials they could point me at that will help me create a convincing black hole?

Thanks for any suggestions

Can you be more specific, i don't think anyone has ever seen a black hole, besides the obvious refractions/distortions that happen at the edges because the gravity bend the light traveling past it.

Are we talking a Deepspace nine wormhole type thing? or a black hole as seen on the movie Sphere (the Unknown event log)?

circleofsmoke
02-21-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm doing it to help a student with a film/educational video project for kids - he has a things in mind including a gravity well typically shown using a flat plane with a grid being pulled down a tube but also wanted to show someone being stretched along the curve of the light beams that are being sucked in - not sure how accurate this is scientifically -

CallMeCG
02-26-2009, 12:32 AM
May be using refraction sphere will give something that looks close. I suppose in real world there are defflections of light extremely raising towards event horizon. Personally i'm more interested in how to create realistic animated accretion disc.

fuzzyEuclid
03-04-2009, 09:11 PM
As far as the stretching goes, in case you hadn't figured on a solution to that, it may be that a lightwave tut on morphing an object based on distance is right up that alley - on the "24 hours of Video Training" link, there are a couple of tuts. I like the one using the Node Editor - very nice. Search for "
Localized morphing of an object based on the distance of another object:" - should lead you right to it, if it is of interest to you.

-EsHrA-
03-05-2009, 03:14 AM
for something really convincing you need an even bigger large haldron colider! :) hehe..

mlon

fuzzyEuclid
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Apparently we just need to give our current one some time, and we'll have our very own black hole! Although rather small in size, and provided it doesn't vanish in a puff of probability, I imagine it would be no less disastrous over time. (Hyperion, anyone?)

StudioBOZON
03-09-2009, 03:27 AM
I found this on wikipedia, maby this will help You to come with some idea to visualise an event horizon - it's a "simulation of Gravitational lensing by a black hole which distorts a galaxy in the background." this what You see is an event horizon, couse as Hawking discovered, You can't see the black hole - the naked singularity itself, need to be covered by an event horizon

check this out here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_holes

picture by Urbane Legend (optimised for web use by Alain r) - to be clear :)

JBT27
03-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Does this have to be done in LW?

If ever an effect was screaming to be done in comp....this is it :)

Julian.

CallMeCG
03-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Refraction, may be controlled with gradient using Fresnel node as input... In addition some node things to fake background light amplification and spectrum shifting.

jin choung
03-10-2009, 04:04 AM
actually, this might be a valid use for lw's lens cap plugin....

jin