PDA

View Full Version : BullFrog animations from Imax Film

SplineGod
08-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Heres a still from an Imax Film called Tall Tales. It was created for a theme park in Stone Mountain Georgia and is a Stereo 3D film.
The background was footage shot with a 3D camera. We match moved it. I modeled, textured, rigged animated and lit the bullfrogs and treefrogs as well as several other sequences.
You can see some of the animations HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/bullfrogshots.avi)
http://www.splinegod.com/amalgamated/bullfrog.jpg

richpr
08-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Nice frogs! Seems your movie has some compression issues... bleeding colors and the last part seems repeated twice (the frog and the firefly)...

SplineGod
08-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Thanks Rich,
I had to capture off VHS and then save iin Divx so there could be some issues. I didnt notice it much on here though. :)
Nobody else has mentioned it (not to say theres nothing wrong with the uploaded file) but are you using the latest Divx codec? I had a similar issue with some Divx compressed AVIs until I go the latest codec.

richpr
08-13-2003, 09:05 PM
Ah Divx... I have seen that happen before ;) Weird colors at the start of a clip and repetitions...

I've seen it when I burned some CDs with some shorts/clips... :(

SplineGod
08-13-2003, 09:19 PM
I downloaded it and it ran fine. Are you on a PC or Mac?

richpr
08-13-2003, 11:35 PM
PC...I'll see if my DIVX needs updating... ;) Updated it... Same thing in Media Player, however Quicktime is a bit better... (Seems to not show the color bleeding frames at the start).

Whatever ;)

hrgiger
08-14-2003, 09:32 AM
The frog is very cool.

His feet seem to be sliding around on the surface he's on and there's something weird with the way he shifts his body from one side to the other as he's looking around. He seems to be sliding more on his belly rather then using his legs to shift his posture.

SplineGod
08-14-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks Steve,
I wish i had the final shots from all this stuff. :)

lasco
08-15-2003, 02:01 PM
clap clap clap !!!

I find it excellent !

did you also animated it in LW ???

SplineGod
08-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks lasco. :)
Yes, the frogs were modeled, textured rigged, lit and animated in Lightwave. The textures were created by rendering out some fractal noise, touching it up in Paint Shop Pro and then applying them as two planar UV maps.

lasco
08-15-2003, 02:31 PM
well it's perfect !
I asked this because even if we all know that LW allows it
we must admit that most of time such animations are made
with Maya…
Glad to see for once a real good "character" animation in LW !

keep on the good job !

SplineGod
08-15-2003, 02:47 PM
LOL, Lightwave is more then up to doing great character work. Im definately not the only one out there nor the best. The place I was at when I worked on this stuff had started the project in Maya but ended up firing most of the Maya crew and having us do it all in Lightwave. :)