PDA

View Full Version : LiveData and things like Baseball

ZachSchuster
02-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Hello,

Considering getting a Tricaster for our video production truck. We use Daktronics boards for our athletics venues. As I understand it, LiveData takes serial data from scoreboard controllers (as well as other sources) and displays that data in a title field through the CG.

But what if the data isn's text. For example, in baseball we want to have a graphic of the bases and highlight which bases are loaded. If the scoreboard controller has the ability to transmit that data to the scoreboard in the field, then Tricaster would receive that information too, yes?

So, can LiveData put up a designated icon instead of text, or would I need to duplicate the LiveData title enough times to account for all possible bases loaded scenarios and just have the CG operator update which title were using?

Hopefully that all made sense...

Thanks,

Zach

SBowie
02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
I think I followed you (you're referring to DataLink, btw - not LiveData ... though that's a cool monicker). :)

DataLink supports a specific list of values for the external equipment from each of the different manufacturers. Generally, to the best of my recollection, I'd say the supported data is all alpha-numeric (or maybe just numeric).

I don't think that you could specify a graphic in the manner you suggest. You would have to build variants of the graphic with the DataLink key values that were appropriate (scores, times, etc.) and Overlay them as the need dictated.

BTW, I think you can download the DataLink manual, which lists the supported values for each manufacturer.

ZachSchuster
02-17-2009, 10:18 AM
SBowie,

Yes, I meant DataLink... with all of their "LiveFEATURENAMEHERE" accessories, I just got confused!

I'll check the manual, but my guess is it won't let me do what I'm asking and I'll have to have several identical titles... or one title with the incoming data, plus a little 4-diamond background with text fields where I can just type in an asterisk or dash or something over the individual diamonds... that would probably be easier. As I understand it, a title with DataLink can mix user input data as well as incoming data.

SBowie
02-17-2009, 11:04 AM
... with all of their LiveFEATURENAMEHERE" accessories, I just got confused!No worries - I kind of like 'LiveData'. ;)

As I understand it, a title with DataLink can mix user input data as well as incoming data.Sure, you can design your own in Edit Text, then export it as a text template and tweak it in LIVE on the fly ...

kltv
02-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I've got a really nice solution for running baseball scoreboards. If you also purchase LiveText, which runs on a separate stand-alone computer and connects to your TriCaster via the network, this plug-in will do exactly what you are looking for. It doesn't connect via DataLink, so everything is manual control. However, it does give you the bases, runs, pitch counts and other data that might not be available from the scoreboard controller anyway.

I originally designed this plug-in back in 2004 for the Babe Ruth World Series, so baseball is definitely included!

Check it out!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178

Kris