PDA

View Full Version : Great News for users of Torque and Core develpment!

GandB
02-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Garage Games is looking at the ability to import Collada files natively; eliminating the need for converting to their proprietary .dts format! Making Core development and game development with Torque an excellent pairing! :thumbsup: Check it out here:

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/16385

-Keith

RollerJesus
02-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Considering how much of a pain in the *** it is to use LW with torque right now, this is most welcome.

I'm hoping to take part in their test app they posted on the forums but time is tight right now. This could be what pushes me into the HardCore program... Crap, I was hoping on actually saving some money.

Frank_Geppert
02-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Considering how much of a pain in the *** it is to use LW with torque right now, this is most welcome.

Hm, there is an export plugin from David Wyand (the maker of Torque Showtool and Torque Constructor) and it exports perfectly from Lightwave to Torque. You can use your LW layers for LOD, collision and similar. You can also export animations, create vehicle setups and more.

I am not sure how they want to support all this in Collada, how do they want to support portals, LOD, collision? It is not that easy as importing a file. There is a bit more to it. We will see.

GandB
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
LOD and collision, etc. Would have to be done the same as any other 3D app...I suppose.

I thought there'd be more interest in this, but it appears that either there aren't many here considering using Torque for their development (which may be because of their newest license scheme)...or their just aren't that many LW Game Devs out there after all. Oh well, I've done my part.

-Keith

Tzan
02-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm waiting to see what Unity can do with the windows version coming out next monthish.

RollerJesus
02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Hm, there is an export plugin from David Wyand (the maker of Torque Showtool and Torque Constructor) and it exports perfectly from Lightwave to Torque. You can use your LW layers for LOD, collision and similar. You can also export animations, create vehicle setups and more.

I am not sure how they want to support all this in Collada, how do they want to support portals, LOD, collision? It is not that easy as importing a file. There is a bit more to it. We will see.

I wouldn't say that the Lightwave exporter works perfectly... As far as I can tell, there's no working normal mapping pipeline. If there is, please enlighten me (and some others out there)...

WillBellJr
02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I've been waiting on Visual3D.net to mature and now Unity 2.5 as well - I'm just not that much of a Torque fan...

-Will