PDA

View Full Version : Coraline is out!

akademus
02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Movies like this one make me like stop motion better than CG animation.

http://coraline.com/

Titus
02-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Coraline has a lot of CG and greenscreen, starting with the faces. So it's a mixed technique.

I liked the story and the atmosphere.

popcorn32
02-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Coraline was a great movie, I took my son out to see it last weekend. It does have a great mixture of stop-motion and CGI. I read the other day that the Coraline team thought it was funny that everyone thought they used CG, but instead it was a mixture. The artists did a great job of making the motions really smooth and the backgrounds perfect. I think more movies will be made like this one in the near future, the techniques were flawless.

akademus
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I don't know the amount of CG involved in creation, but there is a nice bit on CGS on making of it.

I'd love to see more movies made using mixed mediums.

Exception
02-17-2009, 06:24 PM
This movie is indeed wonderful.
Even as a CG fan I soon forgot to try to find things and just emersed into the story. I love tales like this, it's as suitable for adults as for children.

Titus
02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
I say the stereoscopic versions at SIGGRAPH and theater, I'm very grateful they didn't overuse the depth effect.

akademus
02-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Yeah. I wonderful movie indeed. I just saw some images from the set, it was really amazing how they put all the things together.

Some of the environments are modeled in Maya and Zbrush and than rapid prototyped. I don't know if this has been used before but I found the idea very new.

cresshead
02-18-2009, 03:48 AM
for the facial expressions the made them in cg then output the models from a 3d printer and rapid prototyped them for use on face replacements for lip sync and expression as real models for stop motion...great idea.

BlueApple
02-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Can't say that I enjoyed this one.

It looked pretty, but the story telling didn't work for me. I'm guessing that in translating from book to screen something may've been lost.

Also, whenever a 3D-glasses-portion of the movie kicked in, the screen flickered black for a few seconds. This isn't the movie's fault, but the movie theater's. Still, it was pretty distracting and may've influenced my overall experience.

Sarford
02-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Also, whenever a 3D-glasses-portion of the movie kicked in, the screen flickered black for a few seconds.

What? Are only parts of the movie 3D?? that must be weird. If that's the case I'll wait till the dvd release.

Kuzey
02-18-2009, 06:57 AM
You can see the Maquettes for the film here:

http://www.bardsculpturestudio.com/portfolio/Sculpture

I haven't seen it but the characters look great.

Kuzey

akademus
02-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Cool! thanks.

RudySchneider
02-18-2009, 08:28 AM
There's an article in Wired magazine about the making of...

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/multimedia/2009/01/pl_screen

BlueApple
02-18-2009, 09:07 AM
What? Are only parts of the movie 3D?? that must be weird. If that's the case I'll wait till the dvd release.

I think that only parts were 3D, though I may be wrong.

The whole thing felt like playing Final Fantasy 9 or something. Game play is normal and uninterrupted most of the time, but occasionally there is a slight pause followed by a juicy pre-rendered cut scene. That's how the 3D effects came across to me.

akademus
02-19-2009, 03:06 AM
There's an article in Wired magazine about the making of...

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/multimedia/2009/01/pl_screen

cool. there seem to incorporate a lot of new techniques in it. pushing boundaries is one of the most exiting aspects of film making.

TimothyB
02-19-2009, 09:04 PM
I think that only parts were 3D, though I may be wrong.

The whole thing felt like playing Final Fantasy 9 or something. Game play is normal and uninterrupted most of the time, but occasionally there is a slight pause followed by a juicy pre-rendered cut scene. That's how the 3D effects came across to me.

The entire movie for me was 3D. Some theaters have different glasses. The theater I went to used tinted color plastic lenses, but looked natural when on where you wouldn't know like old glasses from the past. And you had to return them. my brother went to see My Bloody Valentine at another theater and the glasses there were disposable and were clear colored I think.

With Coraline, all shots had depth, but crazy shocks were minimal in the film so you can soon forget. Which has been reviewed as good, since many films over use the jump out of the screen shots

My only complaint was during fast motion it was hard to follow things clearly, almost appeared like a low refresh rate or like each eye was out of sync. Maybe the lack of motion blur made this worse and it was my first 3D film. The trailers for Monsters VS Aliens, Ice Age 3, and UP! were 3D too (except the part showing older Pixar films)

But at no time was there a drop in picture to black. All shots, no matter how slow or simple, had 3D.

Did your theater have you where the glasses all the time, or only put them on during the blackout before the 3D?

I really enjoyed it, but a friend and I did agree something about the story felt rushed and unexplained, like it was missing parts. But the visuals and design were still worth it. Without the amazing 3D though, it might not be the same experience at home. Unless when watching it on blu-ray you finally get to see the fine detail in the sets that gets lost when watching 3D.