PDA

View Full Version : "new and improved render buffers"

IRML
02-17-2009, 05:57 AM
is there any reason why render buffer view now shows any surface with nodes as pure black?

the only buffers that work now are ones like shading and depth, but stuff I want like raw rgb and all the other value buffers are just black

I mean I know buffers have been shoddy since the new cameras and nodes were added, but at least they mostly worked in 9.5, now I can't do anything unless I have old school surfaces

all my images render fine, so the correct buffers must be hiding in there somewhere right?

stevecullum
02-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Sounds a bit odd. I've not had any such issues myself and infact were performing better than ever last time I checked. Are you using a third party shader or something as well as the nodes?

IRML
02-17-2009, 06:14 AM
nope my lightwave is basically plugin free, apart from a motion vector exporter and some uv tools for modeller

so you're saying it works fine for you? this is interesting, there must be some way I can fix it but I'd rather not have to reinstall, I've already cleared configs and that didn't help

stevecullum
02-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Admittedly I was using EXR Trader to view my buffers through the Viper previewer, but I will test with the native buffer view when I get back. Can you post a cut down version of your scene?

stevecullum
02-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I did a quick test with nodes and shaders and Raw RGB comes out the Render Buffer View as expected.

multipass
02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
nope my lightwave is basically plugin free, apart from a motion vector exporter and some uv tools for modeller

so you're saying it works fine for you? this is interesting, there must be some way I can fix it but I'd rather not have to reinstall, I've already cleared configs and that didn't help

can i ask what motion vector exporter your using? Lightwaves works for me in render buffer view, but not in buffer export

stevecullum
02-17-2009, 02:38 PM
I use EXR trader for all my compositing needs as it exports all buffers. Although I tend not to use motion vectors any longer, because the Photoreal Mblur renders so quick - sometimes quicker than a non motion blurred scene! I would also be interested to know how D Clark is exporting vectors as its been a pain in the past.

If I need to add post blur - Reelsmart rocks!

IRML
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm using this one (I haven't tried it since updating to 9.6 though)

http://www.richardnichols.net/content/view/19/7/

I think it's actually recommended on the reelsmart website, there's another free one I've used in the past which also worked fine (though it was a bit more tricky to set up), although I've noticed ever so slightly different results between the two - so they must be doing something a bit differently from each other

I do find the new cameras and photoreal blur render super fast, but I still like the look I can get with reelsmart in post, plus some of my older models show up full of holes if I use the new cameras, so I have to go back to classic

I'm just preparing a scene with a simplified object, I'll upload that in a few minutes

IRML
02-17-2009, 04:50 PM
forget that it might not be necessary

stevecullum when I replicate your node setup it works fine - because I have a diffuse shader in there

if I set up the nodes and leave out a diffuse shader then certain buffers become black - this is the opposite to what I used to get in 9.5, where if I had a diffuse shader it would appear black in the buffers, so I didn't add one if I didn't need it

the way I saw it is what's the point in adding a lambert shader to the nodes if lightwave will render lambert by default anyway?

I hope I don't have to go back and resurface my models

stevecullum
02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
forget that it might not be necessary

stevecullum when I replicate your node setup it works fine - because I have a diffuse shader in there

if I set up the nodes and leave out a diffuse shader then certain buffers become black - this is the opposite to what I used to get in 9.5, where if I had a diffuse shader it would appear black in the buffers, so I didn't add one if I didn't need it

the way I saw it is what's the point in adding a lambert shader to the nodes if lightwave will render lambert by default anyway?

I hope I don't have to go back and resurface my models

I think some buffers are specific to those shader inputs, so if you weren't using them, nothing shows in the buffer output.

I hope this new CORE brings a complete overhaul of the passes and buffers system.

IRML
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
just an update here, if I plug diffuse shaders into my surfaces I can get the diffuse and raw rgb buffers to show up, but if I plug reflection shaders into my surfaces I still can't get the mirror buffer to show up

I have a model here with 120 surfaces that I literally just finished surfacing before I upgraded to 9.6, I really don't want to have to go back and change every single one of them - and even if I did that wouldn't get the mirror buffer to show up anyway

this is really annoying

stevecullum
02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
You should be looking in the Shaded Relection buffer. ;)

IRML
02-24-2009, 04:51 PM
yeah that one works fine, as does shaded diffuse and shaded refraction, but the mirror buffer doesn't, I just like using it when I'm setting up surfaces to see how my reflection curves are working, but now I can't do that any more

stevecullum
02-24-2009, 05:17 PM
yeah that one works fine, as does shaded diffuse and shaded refraction, but the mirror buffer doesn't, I just like using it when I'm setting up surfaces to see how my reflection curves are working, but now I can't do that any more

I do see what you mean - bit of a meaningless buffer right now. However, you might want to investigate Dponts extended buffer nodes. With that is possible to send say an output from a gradient into an 'extra' buffer. I've never even used that mirror buffer before as I normally just tweak things in Fprime and send to comp for finals.

Good luck!