PDA

View Full Version : local area morph

tudor
02-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Hi!

Sorry if this is basic or posted in some other thread, but here goes.

Is there a way to apply a morph to only a part of an object in an easy way?

Example:
I create a car, and then create a damaged car as a damage morph.
Can I now apply this damage morph only where the damage happens, say by a null acting as an effector with a radius falloff? I do not want to create weight maps for where I will apply the morph as that would make it non dynamic.

Thanks

serge
02-17-2009, 04:01 AM
Check out this tutorial by William Vaughan:

Localized morphing of an object based on the distance of another object:
Click Here to view (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/md.mov)

There are two more tutorials covering the same principle:

Localized morphing of an object based on the distance of another object using Normal Displacement:
Click Here to view (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/NormalD.mov)

Localized morphing used on a face rig:
Click Here to view (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/face.mov)

(Copied from the LightWave Training thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002).)

SplineGod
02-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Actually you can damage teh whole car and either use normal displacement or nodal displacement with a texture to drive it locally by givng the texture a falloff.
Relativity also has morph effectors built in that will do a similar thing.http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/morph_effector_test.mov

Ive used this technique for years to do many things
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/staph2.mov
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/box-ball.mov

tudor
02-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Thank you :)

Went for the simple solution of normal displacement set to morph with a gradient set to object distance for the effect.

tudor
02-18-2009, 12:39 PM
wow.. Think I found a bug.
I created a test object with a morph.
added normal displacement. Set gradient to object distance.

Now.. kinda works, but not realtime. Only when scrubbing.
And weirder. If I move the object from 0,0,0 the object distance set in the gradient still thinks the object is set at 0,0,0 in the world..

Not like the normalD.mov example posted above.. That was realtime, no scrubbing.

I am using 9.6

Edit: same goes for the node editor version.

edit2: Oh dear.. Same goes for relativity.. Object is treated as if it is always at 0,0,0..

edit3: relativity works now when setting to world coords.. Any way of doing that for the other methods?

edit4: This is turning into a farse.. Yes, relativity kinda works but doesn't. It respects that the object has world coordinates, but not the vertexes. Did something break in 9.6?

tudor
02-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Problem still there...

Larry, the examples you had with the face and the morph. Does that work even when you move the face away from 0,0,0?

Tried LW versions back to 9.3 and still the same problem.

SplineGod
02-19-2009, 07:30 AM
How are you moving your object? I dont recall having issues if hte object was moved from the origin unless it was moved using bones, morphing or other types of displacement. Its quite possible something was messed up in 9.5+. Ill try and take a look this evening.

tudor
02-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Hey!
No bones. Just moving the object and keeping the "collision object" static.

In essence, what I am trying to do is to create a car going down a path, hitting an object and being damaged.

Impact happens where it is supposed to, but the morph applied ignores the transform and assumes the object was placed in zero.

see image. Bottom image I have moved the object away from the centre, and given it a transform value.
I wish there just was a switch somewhere that said 'use world coordinates only'.

tudor
02-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Hey Larry!
Tried it on your side yet?
Just curious if it is me doing something wrong.

SplineGod
02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Confirmed. What a pain. I did kinda get it to work with Relativity morph but with some weird behavior. Im going to give it a try using some nodes since you do have some world coord options. This actually explains a few other behaviors Ive noticed.

endall
02-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Confirmed. What a pain. I did kinda get it to work with Relativity morph but with some weird behavior. Im going to give it a try using some nodes since you do have some world coord options. This actually explains a few other behaviors Ive noticed.

You are correct. This can be done very easily with nodes.

tudor
02-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Hey!

If you could share that node setup I would be extremely grateful :D