PDA

View Full Version : core video python example slow as hell?

Stooch
02-16-2009, 08:23 PM
the example making the torus. ?? why so slow? is that the famous core multithreading in action?

3D Kiwi
02-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I thought the same thing, tho saying that a similar script written in jscript for xsi would be about the same speed. But i know that scripting in xsi isnt multi threaded, so would have expected it to be pretty fast in a multicore app.

Unless it was they way they captured the video???

Cageman
02-16-2009, 08:44 PM
the example making the torus. ?? why so slow? is that the famous core multithreading in action?

Yeah.. I've actually thought about that as well.

My first theory is that something isn't compiled as it should. That aside, my second theory is this:

The script has been altered so that we, the viewers, would understand what is going on when Python creates a torus.

I mean, with all the conspiration going on, if it would have been an instant creation of the torus, people would have thought... "Ahh... they used the torus tool instead of Python, because Python isn't implemented yet."

Well, you know how it is. :)

zapper1998
02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
link ??

Myagi
02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd also guess on either the slowed down for demo thing, or maybe the whole history stuff still needs some optimization (as it creates a bunch of disc polys). Don't think it was the script execution itself that was slow.

Multithreading doesn't lend itself particularily well for what was shown there, so bashing its multi-threading/core support is a tad premature :)

3D Kiwi
02-16-2009, 09:04 PM
link ??

link1   /lɪŋk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [lingk] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. one of the rings or separate pieces of which a chain is composed.
2. anything serving to connect one part or thing with another; a bond or tie: The locket was a link with the past.
3. a unit in a communications system, as a radio relay station or a television booster station.
4. any of a series of sausages in a chain.
5. a cuff link.
6. a ring, loop, or the like: a link of hair.
7. Computers. an object, as text or graphics, linked through hypertext to a document, another object, etc.
8. Surveying, Civil Engineering. a. (in a surveyor's chain) a unit of length equal to 7.92 inches (20.12 centimeters).
b. one of 100 rods or loops of equal length forming a surveyor's or engineer's chain.

9. Chemistry. bond 1 (def. 15).
10. Machinery. a rigid, movable piece or rod, connected with other parts by means of pivots or the like, for the purpose of transmitting motion.
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object) 11. to join by or as if by a link or links; connect; unite (often fol. by up): The new bridge will link the island to the mainland. The company will soon link up with a hotel chain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1375–1425; late ME link(e) < ODan lænkia chain; c. ON hlekkr link (pl., chain), OE hlence coat of chain mail, akin to G Gelenk joint

Celshader
02-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents based on RealFlow...

Python scripts written for RealFlow use only one thread by default. Normal RealFlow calculations are multithreaded, but RealFlow calculations controlled by a script are not multithreaded.

I doubt CORE can take a Python script written without multithread code (http://docs.python.org/library/multiprocessing.html) and run it across multiple processors. I don't see how, other than CORE-specific Python functions getting handled with multiple threads. Even then, the Python-specific stuff would be single-threaded by default unless written with multithread code.

If CORE can take normal Python scripts and run them across multiple cores, I'll be impressed.

-+-

As others pointed out, the Python script in the CORE demo could have been slowed down for the purpose of demonstration. Folks can use the "sleep" function in the time (http://docs.python.org/library/time.html) module to do this.

Stooch
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
I dont care how you slice it. how many threads are you using. to make that torus, its too damn slow even if you use 1/10th of a thread.

Celshader
02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
I dont care how you slice it. how many threads are you using. to make that torus, its too damn slow even if you use 1/10th of a thread.

OK, then it was deliberately slowed down for demonstration purposes.

Stooch
02-16-2009, 09:56 PM
I hope so...

mosconariz
02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
link ??

http://zelda.dollskingdom.com/characters/ZeldaLinkAni.gif

SplineGod
02-16-2009, 11:29 PM
It wouldnt surprise me that its simply that slow since Core or parts are still in development or in a state of flux.

Silkrooster
02-16-2009, 11:58 PM
It wouldnt surprise me that its simply that slow since Core or parts are still in development or in a state of flux.

That would be my guess. I can't imagine it being optimized at this point of the game.

zapper1998
02-17-2009, 12:26 AM
k
found it

geothefaust
02-17-2009, 12:41 AM
OK, then it was deliberately slowed down for demonstration purposes.

That's what I thought when I saw it. I honestly doubt it's that slow, but... Hey who knows. Larry could be spot on.

mosconariz, awesome!

Silkrooster
02-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Only one way to find out. Purchase LW Core for $395 until March 31. http://www.newtek.com/core/ :thumbsup:

Stooch
02-17-2009, 01:47 AM
thats stupid. id rather hear from NT