PDA

View Full Version : 'Creepy Crawlies'

bethel
02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi, my students are working on an animation of an interior space that's carpeted. The carpet is an image map on the floor polygon. When the scene is animated, it looks like there's thousands of creepy 'ants' on the carpet. How can we fix that? I've tried using motion/camera blur, turning on or off adaptive sampling....don't seem to work very well. I've also tried 'soft filter', but flickering continues. Any help will be much appreciated.

lwanmtr
02-16-2009, 10:02 PM
can you post an example?

jaxtone
02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
What level is your AA?

Hi, my students are working on an animation of an interior space that's carpeted. The carpet is an image map on the floor polygon. When the scene is animated, it looks like there's thousands of creepy 'ants' on the carpet. How can we fix that? I've tried using motion/camera blur, turning on or off adaptive sampling....don't seem to work very well. I've also tried 'soft filter', but flickering continues. Any help will be much appreciated.

bethel
02-19-2009, 06:48 AM
We use between AA5 up to Classic Low. Thanks

lwanmtr
02-19-2009, 03:13 PM
If you are using 9.6, Have you tried perspective or real lens camera? you get better aa with those.

bethel
02-19-2009, 05:59 PM
We are using the perspective camera. When animated, the mapped carpet image on the floor of the building seems to flicker: looks like a 1000 ants are crawling on it. I've tried using soft focus, motion blur, etc, but then textures on the wall seem to move or fade in and out.

lwanmtr
02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
can you post the scene?

toby
02-20-2009, 01:45 AM
More AA would do it, 5 is very low, animation needs more AA than still images do. It might be more eficient to increase the mip-map strength on the carpet's texture, or a combination of both. If the texture is also used for bump it will need even more AA.