PDA

View Full Version : How many have played World in Conflict?

Cageman
02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
So... as the title says... :)

Please feel free to elaborate more on what you thought about the game.

:)

StereoMike
02-17-2009, 03:13 AM
I played "World in flames" (Mercenaries 2). Does this count?
:D

mike

Netvudu
02-17-2009, 03:33 AM
I didnīt bother as I donīt usually enjoy RTS at all....but the cinematics rock!! :)

Lightwolf
02-17-2009, 05:47 AM
I only play demos... that keeps me from spending to much time gaming. :D

Cheers,
Mike

artstorm
02-17-2009, 05:59 AM
I played it for about a day or two when it was pretty new. And I liked it, unfortunately I bought the download version, and at least then, the official patches didn't work with the download version, so you had to wait until (I think it was trymedia who handled the sales and support of the download version if I remember correctly?) a special version of the patch where released for the download version, and they where several patch versions behind. I had so much crashes and lock ups, with that version (which I came to understand was resolved in the latest patches, which I couldn't use), so I uninstalled it during the grace period and got refunded.

I am a sucker for strategy games, and as I liked it I was about to get the DVD version instead, but didn't get around to it, I am still playing rise of nations instead (my favorite rts). Which is too bad, as I did like the little time I got to spend with WIC. But if there is a new game coming in the series, I'll for sure give it another go, and go with the physical version then, I learned my lesson to not buy the download version the last time. :)

IMI
02-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Yes, I've played it. I mentioned that a while back and you and I chatted about it on Steam.
I can't remember how far I made it through, although I played for several days, several hours each day, so I think I made it a good deal through it.
I really liked it from the beginning. It was kind of difficult getting used to the controls, controlling the camera, and all the options, but it was quite an immersive experience.
I can't remember details too well right now... what was the guy's name- the sissy suck-up captain who takes all the credit for YOUR good decisions? While you know he'd just as soon surrender and go home...

Although shortly afterwards I built a new PC and haven't reinstalled it. Truth is, I forgot all about it until now! No offense to the game, there's alot of stuff I haven't reinstalled, but I'm glad you reminded me. I hope I don't have any trouble over another activation. I hope it wasn't one of those one time only activation games. Yeah, I bought the download version. I don't even know if they had a retail disk version.

From what I remember, I mentioned to you the smoke look liked LW hypervoxel smoke, and I think you told me it was. In any event, the graphics were really good. Come to think of it, I can't remember now if I had my 8800 GTS yet at that point.

The only criticism I would have was the camera controls. I got used to it, but for someone who plays mostly FPS games and games from a 1st person perspective, it took a while to get used to. The tutorial section in the beginning was really well-done though. :)

Oedo 808
02-17-2009, 06:22 AM
I was dribbling over the thought of playing games like this when I was shopping for my new system, it was used for quite a few benchmarks and seeing the screens in a few GPU reviews is what got me interested in it. But as it turns out I haven't played any games on my new system.

I'm just too concerned about how much time games will eat up, I used to game 24/7 and I don't think it would take a great leap to I think that I could go back to being like that.

So I'm staying teetotal until I make a little more headway with LightWave.

But I'm sure I'll play it in the not too distant future.

Captain Obvious
02-17-2009, 06:26 AM
I downloaded the demo, but I never had time to install it. I've been meaning to have a look at it for months now, but I never have the time and energy (at least not at the same time :p )...

It does look really nice, though. I'm sure I'll get around to installing it eventually, and I'll tell you all about it!

akademus
02-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Played? I've seen it in person :D

IMI
02-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Looks as though I bought it from trymedia.com, according to my receipt.
Says you can only activate it 3 times, but each time have to request a new activation code:

The license you have purchased is only valid for your computer. In the
event of a license loss, a change in your computer's configuration or if
you wish to install the software on additional computers, you will have
to RENEW your license by providing us with your activation code.

You have the right to acquire 3 RENEWALS without charge.

I want to reinstall it, but man I hate these activation schemes. I'm STILL waiting on my activation renewal for FEAR and Perseus Mandate, and I requested those well over a week ago. Forgot all about it until now, actually.

Captain Obvious
02-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Err, wait, does World in Conflict has this silly DRM business, other than (say) a CD key or the like? I refuse to buy games that require online activation.

IMI
02-17-2009, 09:15 AM
I can't remember details. What I posted was pretty much the extent of the info they gave me in the email. I don't have the original email anymore, but I copied it to a text file in the folder I saved my backup to.
It included an activation code, and I remember I didn't have any trouble installing it the first time.
From what I see looking in my backup folder, it appears as though you install it and enter the activation code. I imagine it does an online check, else I don't see how it would know if you have a new puter or not. From what I'm reading it looks like that activation code will only be good once and for any further installs I'd have to contact them for a second or third.... but no more afterwards.

That's just trymedia.com though. I can't remember why I bought it from them - maybe they were the first I saw with it, maybe they're the only. I think there is a retail DVD version of it, since I think I saw it being offered for free at NewEgg with some video card purchases.
Meaning, I don't think Massive has any control over it.
But as for the download version, yes, it appears to be quite limited, and quite DRM'd, requiring online activation.
Yes, God forbid you should get a simple CD key and be done with it. That would be too simple, and would only benefit the consumer, who, as we all know, doesn't really matter...

It's been said a thousand times, and still it matters not. All this fancy activation BS doesn't stop the piracy even slightly. I think if anything, it encourages it. Hackers need something to hack, after all, preferably something more challenging than a simple CD key.

EDIT:
I'm going to install it now and see what happens. Will get back with the details.

IMI
02-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Well that was pretty painless.
I followed the instructions to install it and afterwards install the update they had also provided a link for.
After that was done I launched it, gave it firewall permission and it phoned home to...whomever, I don't know. I assume Trymedia Systems.
Then it gave me a "you have an hour to check this game out or activate it" thingy, followed by a drop down of selections like "I'm installing this on a new puter", or "I installed a new hard disk".
Still in that little program, I was told to enter the original activation key they had sent. Did that and after a few seconds it gave me the green light - official permission to use what I paid for. Isn't that swell of them? And it appears their undying love and respect for the consumer includes one more whole time I get to do that for free. Their generosity almost brings a tear to my eye...

Well, it could be worse. At least it was fast and automatic and didn't require me sending some pleading email to some overworked, attention-deficit cubicle dude who never checks his email and can't read English anyway.

Speaking of which, as I said, I'm still waiting to hear back from the FEAR people. I can't play either FEAR or the expansion, Perseus Mandate, at all, because it refuses to allow my activation code. To make that even worse, it's a real nightmare navigating through the confusing jumble of web crap they have set up as...errmm... "help" and uhhh... "support". Not like they did that intentionally, I'm sure.....

But back to World in Conflict - annoying activation scheme aside, it's well worth it, IMO, and knowing myself, chances are I'll have long finished it and written it off as a ghost of games gone by, by the time I need a fourth activation, which will probably never happen.

EDIT: I also just got a shiny, spiffy email from Trymedia Systems, informing me I have reactivated WIC, along with a link in case I have problems.

IMI
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh right.... narrated by Alec Baldwin. How I would love to have the option to place him directly in the midst of the Conflict. ;) :2guns:

mouse_art
02-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Blame the Download Store for the DRM, the Release Version had a DVD Check and a MP Key, done.

I played through the SP part, and the MP Part with mates roughly 30 hours*(but the MP beta before a bit more.) *less time for gaming :/ (from 99 to 2002 i played Q3 TDM almost 3,500 Hours, and i don't even regret it. ;)

I hope UBI will release it anytime soon on Steam, because i'm more a DRM player these days now.

For WiC itself, i enjoyed playing it, and the quality throughout Game was very high compared to many RTS,

IMI
02-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Blame the Download Store for the DRM, the Release Version had a DVD Check and a MP Key, done.

That's what I figured. That's the way it ought to be, at least when you buy the physical disk.

Captain Obvious
02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Oh, alright then. Key codes and DVD checks I can live with. Online activation is a no-no. I refuse to pay for something that requires permission to install and play.

IMI
02-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Oh, alright then. Key codes and DVD checks I can live with. Online activation is a no-no. I refuse to pay for something that requires permission to install and play.

I'm not big on it either, but the only place I have near me I can buy physical game disks is Wal Mart, and they only get the more popular titles. Otherwise I have a long drive through alot of really obnoxious traffic, or I have to order from Amazon and pay shipping, plus of course, the waiting time.
When I want something, I want it yesterday, not a week from now. ;)

Captain Obvious
02-19-2009, 04:26 AM
I guess Steam does use online activation, but at least with proper Steam games (ie, the ones that do not use third party DRM as well), they manage the whole thing. Steam games do not require CD keys or the like, so even if I'm only able to play my games because they let me, at least it's more convinient. I've never really had a Steam game not work for me, whereas the ones that require CD keys as well as online activation have caused no end of headaches (to the point where I stopped playing them).

mouse_art
02-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I had yet never problems with CD-Check, Key activation or DRM...allthough one thing...but not a game, it's called Microsoft Windows, it can happen that i change HW several times per year, and most of the time i have to call the undermotivated Support to unlock Windows again...