PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a Unique and Separate Core Dongle?

cglensmith
02-16-2009, 06:15 PM
So here's a question I was wondering the answer to. If I upgraded to LW9.6 from an earlier version right now, oviously, I would receive a new USB dongle in place of my old parallel dongle that would work with my new LW9.6 software. Because I have upgraded now, eventually, I would receive my new final release of Core in Q4.

Given that I would now have in my possession two distinct and seperate pieces of software, am I going to receive a second, unqiue Core dongle? I don't know the answer to this, but I would assume it would be "yes".

If that indeed was the case, that would appear to give me the freedom to sell my LW9.6 license and keep Core, or vice versa, as I see fit. However, if both Core and LW are tied to the same USB LW dongle, selling either piece of software in the future would require transfer of my olny dongle and make the other license inoperable. Anyone from NT or the community hear the position on this and care to wade in and share their thots?

Dexter2999
02-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Obviously? Not so fast. I use Lightwave 9.6 at work with a parrallel dongle. There is no guarantee that you will automaticaly get a new dongle with an upgrade to 9.6.

Can't say about CORE.

cglensmith
02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Heh, yeah. Well, I have an old Amiga license collecting dust, so I could upgrade that and I'm pretty sure that they would cough up a USB dongle for my PC, if that's what I asked for. ;) I'm still wondering whether we'll be receiving a new and seperate dongle for Core... :)

lwanmtr
02-16-2009, 08:10 PM
What is it about the Amiga licenses? I have one also..and while I will probably never use it, I still cant seem to part with it...lol

cglensmith
02-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Came across mine, while I was bundling up a lot of my old Amiga software to sell on eBay. Those were the days! It makes us part of a special club. Dates ya too. Ha!

Well, I just might have a reason to put it to use now. Just want to know whether the final release of Core will work off it's own dongle, so that NT customer's can decide for themselves what to do with their LW software. Keep as a backup for themselves or sell to others.

lwanmtr
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Considering core is offered as an upgrade, it will probably use your current dongle..or if it requires a new one, you'd have to send the old one in for exchange. Of course, if you buy a new Core license, you'll get a new key anyway.

Every now and then I consider selling my Amiga license...I am selling an old mac license..and I have 2 other licenses (one at 8 and one at 9.x)

dwburman
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
I had to pay good money to exchange my Parallel Port Dongle several years ago.

I kind of assumed that CORE would use the same dongle since, as lwanmtr pointed out, it's being counted as an upgrade.

I haven't seen NT say CORE will use a dongle or some other licensing model so the dongle talk may be irrelevant. :D

Greenlaw
02-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I have three licenses of LW, two on USB and one still on parallel. The parallel one used to be an old Apple ADB dongle and I had to pay to transfer it to parallel. The other two were purchased as USB dongles, I think starting at around LW 8. All three dongles currently work with 9.6; no new dongle was ever offered. Someday I will upgrade the parallel dongle to USB but, as with the ADB dongle, I imagine they will charge me a fee to exchange it.

Unless...it turns out that CORE requires a USB dongle, making my parallel dongle useless for upgrading, so they throw in a new ADB dongle. At least, I would hope they do that. FWIW, when I upgraded my Fusion 4 license to 5, Eyeon included a shiney new USB to replace my parallel dongle for just this reason, no extra charge. Even in this case, however, my old Fusion 4 dongle license is considered 'retired' and I'm not allowed to sell it. And even if I did, the buyer wouldn't be able to upgrade that license anyway since that license was already upgraded.

I guess my point is that when you purchase an 'upgrade' you're upgrading an existing license, not buying a new second license, so technically they don't owe you a new dongle, and if you sell your old software you are selling (probably illegally) a 'dead-end' license to somebody.

Of course, that just my opinion. For the real answers, I would call or write NewTek's customer service.

Greenlaw

Lito
02-17-2009, 07:47 AM
FYI if you still have the parallel dongle and want to swap it out for free make sure that at the time of purchase you tell them. IIRC at the time of the upgrade you can update a parallel dongle to USB one for free as it is part of the cost of the paid upgrade, but anytime after that you will have to pay a fee.

Greenlaw
02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
FYI if you still have the parallel dongle and want to swap it out for free make sure that at the time of purchase you tell them. IIRC at the time of the upgrade you can update a parallel dongle to USB one for free as it is part of the cost of the paid upgrade, but anytime after that you will have to pay a fee.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip! I've only upgraded one of my USB dongle licenses to CORE so far, so this will be good to know when I upgrade the parallel one.

Greenlaw

BeeVee
02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
The USB dongle started with 7.0 and the dual platform one with 7.5. It works with 6.5 as long as you already have the software installed. If you need to reinstall for whatever reason you won't be able to from the CD as the installer is hardcoded to look for a parallel dongle (on Windows PCs). Lito's right, if when you upgrade you say you'd like to swap your dongle it's done for free.

B

cglensmith
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah, when I upgraded one of my windows licenses in the past I received the new USB dongle (in place of a parallel dongle) as part of my upgrade. There was no charge, but I think I had to pay a few bucks to ship my old dongle to them.

I've been debating on whether to upgrade my existing LW9.6 license to Core at $395 or upgrade my old Amiga License at $495 to Core. For the extra $100, I'd wind up with 2 working licenses of LW9.6 and 1 working license of Core. After Core is officially released in Q4, I'm thinking that I might be able to sell my LW9.6 only license for at least $395 to someone who wants to upgrade to Core and, hopefully, recoup most of my own upgrade fee. ;)

As far as NT sending a different dongle for Core, in retrospect, I don't see that in the cards. Especially, due to the likelihood they would tie the LW9.6 license to the version of Core they upgraded you to. Otherwise, folks would try and sell their LW9.6 license, after it had already been upgraded once. Not cool, in software terms. ;)

Snosrap
02-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Heh, yeah. Well, I have an old Amiga license collecting dust, so I could upgrade that and I'm pretty sure that they would cough up a USB dongle for my PC, if that's what I asked for. ;) I'm still wondering whether we'll be receiving a new and seperate dongle for Core... :)

Wasn't the Amiga dongle a Video Toaster?

Snosrap

cglensmith
02-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Ha! LOL Nope! :)

I bought an Amiga stand alone software license back in the day...

I just ossed my 3000 within the past year. It gave up the ghost.

Sniff (sentimental)