PDA

View Full Version : "What if" question about configs.

Dexter2999
02-16-2009, 03:51 PM
What if the dongle worked also a thumbdrive in that it saved your preferences to a chip on the dongle?

Then when you pull your dongle to run LW somewhere else your preferences about skins and shortcuts go with you?

Or is there a flaw with this idea I am not seeing?

Myagi
02-16-2009, 04:12 PM
cool idea, considering the size of flash drives nowadays you could have the whole install on it, and take it along with you

lwanmtr
02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
be a cool idea..as long as it was very cheap to exchange the old one for the new one

UnCommonGrafx
02-16-2009, 08:31 PM
flash drives suck.
Drop a couple. You'll see. USB dongles, flash drives and compact flash disk all drop from the same height or get the same bump. Guess which one may lose all the info on it first in this, or similar, scenario?

I used to think they were dreamy. Until that 8 gigger I had with the exact setup spoken of here went belly up on me. Forever. Grrrrrrrr

Dexter2999
02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
And why are you trying to be all Galileo on your drives? I hope you never apply these tests to an iphone or a laptop. How did your monitor or computer match up when being dropped from say 4 feet? ;)

Of course they break when you drop them, they are cheap plastic. DVD's split when dropped on tile floors as well (when they hit on edge just right). My 8gig drive has been going strong for about a year. Then again I never dropped it. I had a 256 drive years ago that went through a washer and dryer and worked fine. But, then I had one die once when it took errant volatage when I pulled it without "ejecting" it first.

It's technology. It isn't meant to be foolproof. But it is what we have. I'm fine with it. I don't like the whole "internet license verification" deal because my systems aren't on the internet.

UnCommonGrafx
02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Funny you would say that:
The laptop broke on the edge; still runs.
Don't get me wrong: I will have others. I have a dual layer backup to rely on. But I am trying to figure out a usb alternative like the compact flash. Microdrives may soon come this way. Solid state... what have you.
My 256 meg has survived about 6 years. Two 8s have died. I'm really not that hard on this stuff...

lwanmtr
02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
You kidding..thats the first thing everyone should when they buy a peice of hardware..drop it a couple times..record the noise it makes, maybe take pictures..then try it out to see if it works.

When I went overseas, I actually dropped my Macbook Pro..and its still working great, though there is a small dent on the corner..battle scars...hehe

Silkrooster
02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Funny you would say that:
The laptop broke on the edge; still runs.
Don't get me wrong: I will have others. I have a dual layer backup to rely on. But I am trying to figure out a usb alternative like the compact flash. Microdrives may soon come this way. Solid state... what have you.
My 256 meg has survived about 6 years. Two 8s have died. I'm really not that hard on this stuff...

OK tell the truth, were you testing impact studies or just a bit accident prone.
Just joking with ya.