PDA

View Full Version : Real-time interactive previewer/renderer for MacOS X UB :)

Sensei
02-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi! If you're interested in MacUB version, please use Contact page on http://www.trueart.eu
LW v9.6 required (for now).

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/TrueHair/Graphics/TrueHair_Preview_On_MacOS_X_UB.png

Sensei
02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Interactive renderer videos are available to watch here:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=243623#post243623
It looks like MacOS version has 20% faster rendering with exactly the same GHz dual-core CPU than Windows..

Phil
02-19-2009, 09:39 AM
A little more comprehensive information would be useful :

- is the previewer available without the hair system?
- do you support volumetrics (including 3rd party systems)?
- is Nodal supported?
- are you limited by frame size that is previewable (e.g. 1024x768) or is any resolution available?
- is the previewer usable in distributed rendering like FPrime's WSN mode?

What limitations exist in your previewer?

3dworks
02-19-2009, 09:48 AM
hey, looks very cool, do you only sell it together with hair system? what does it NOT preview?

markus

Sensei
02-19-2009, 10:19 AM
hey, looks very cool, do you only sell it together with hair system?

Alternative (and not available on UB previewer) is for 400 usd.. TrueHair is for 500 usd.. Small difference to get also hairs tools.. :)

what does it NOT preview?

Limits are similar to other 3rd party renderers available on LW: no pixel-filters, no image-filters, applied at the end of rendering process, no traditional shaders. LW doesn't give any access to them.

Sensei
02-19-2009, 10:30 AM
- is the previewer available without the hair system?

Currently no.

- do you support volumetrics (including 3rd party systems)?

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/TrueHair/Graphics/Movies/TrueHair_Preview_HyperVoxels_1.mov

Whether some 3rd party volumetric will work depend on what it's doing in Init/NewTime/Cleanup.. If they have very quick execution times, it should work, without killing interactivity..

- is Nodal supported?

It's too general question.. ;)
Obviously there are nodes that work, and are node that doesn't work. I am trying finding those not working and fixing it. Can't tell XXX node doesn't work, because tomorrow it could work..

Here is video of even 3rd party node usage, Pom's Ambient Occlusion:
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/TrueHair/Graphics/Movies/TrueHair_Preview_Ambient_Occlusion.mov

- are you limited by frame size that is previewable (e.g. 1024x768) or is any resolution available?

No. You have presets with resolutions (left top pull-down gadget on screen-shot), and you can resize window without any limits. Of course the bigger window, the slower rendering.

You can click left mouse button on any pixel on preview area and it's zoomed it.. right mouse button to zoom out.. clicking left mouse button without releasing and move is sliding (even outside of camera viewport).. All without touching camera zooming/rotating/panning etc. So if you work on one detail f.e. surface or node, just zoom it in, and you have it covering whole previewer area.

- is the previewer usable in distributed rendering like FPrime's WSN mode?

It'll be done as LWSDK v9.6 renderer in near future. So no more hacking to LWSN to have renderfarm support.. :)

3dworks
02-19-2009, 10:33 AM
wow, tough price point for just the previewer... how stable is the whole system? can i change image maps in surfaces or scale and move complex geometry in preview mode without crashing?

cheers

markus

Sensei
02-19-2009, 10:42 AM
wow, tough price point for just the previewer...

Difference between previewer and full renderer is just save output option.. ;) Can be added in one day or less. So the same LW v9.6 renderer support.

how stable is the whole system? can i change image maps in surfaces or scale and move complex geometry in preview mode without crashing?

With complex geometry problem is not in crashing, but rebuilding kd-tree times.. ;)
I was playing yesterday with 500k objects and rendering, spinning camera, moving lights, editing surfaces etc. And everything what doesn't cause kd-tree rebuilding is much faster than I thought initially. After improvement to kd-tree rebuilding routine it should fly in all circumstances.

does it preview all sort of nodes?

I answered this question above..

how about procedural layers?

Surprisingly, I never have never seen any problems from them.

Darth Mole
02-20-2009, 07:00 AM
If I'm brutally honest Sensei, I don't need yet another hair system - I barely use the ones I already have (Sasquatch and FiberFX). I think the previewer looks great, but having paid for FPrime - and still expecting a UB version to appear soon - you need to sweeten the deal a bit. perhaps do a cross-grade deal or something.

With CORE on the way and a new FPrime expected before long, you'll be hard pushed to shift units at that price. In my opinion, of course.

zapper1998
02-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Sensei ... ?

With core coming, out and will u then will have full access to the SDK, will that help you out?

I am drooling still at the previewer, and yes i do agree with Mr.Darth Mole...
You need to sweeten the pot...

LW has a good previewer, and yes your TrueHair is awesome,
imho they Newtrek, should have Bought your TrueHair,
and or Contracted you to write the New Hair Generation Plug In..

IMHO FFX is still way to unsable....imho..

I am stool drooling over the Preveiwer ... It needs to have something that LW does not have..and something every boby wants....

You Code some Totally Awesome stuff ....

-Michael

adamredwoods
02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Impressive.

Sensei
02-20-2009, 11:53 AM
With CORE on the way and a new FPrime expected before long, you'll be hard pushed to shift units at that price. In my opinion, of course.

You didn't read Jay message? In this year Core will be just a modeler ("For now, our primary focus for LightWave CORE will be in the modeling environment.")..
If you want to wait another 24 months or more for fully production ready product, then it's fine. It means you don't need our previewer or other tools. It's for creative people what wants solutions right now, improving their workflow here and now, in everyday work.. For 3d graphics artist earning 3000+ usd per month, it should not be problem paying 400-500 usd for previewer saving him/her dozen hours per month spend on setting up lights and surfaces with real-time feedback instead of constantly press F9, waiting for finish, applying changes and again F9..

With core coming, out and will u then will have full access to the SDK, will that help you out?

Sure. But don't expect it this year. This year LW Core will be just modeler tools. Even for 3rd party renderer/previewer it'll be interesting. f.e. if you want to see just one object, place 3rd party previewer modifier node as parent of some geometry.. And only child geometry is displayed in window/viewport.. If you would place previewer modifier node top most, then all geometry in that scene is displayed.. Just a thought.. We will see later what will be really possible, when NewTek will finally release SDK for it.. Until that moment, it's just speculation..

Darth Mole
02-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Okay, well in that case I'm out. I have FPrime so I'll just wait for the UB.

3dworks
02-21-2009, 02:34 AM
Difference between previewer and full renderer is just save output option.. ;) Can be added in one day or less. So the same LW v9.6 renderer support.

sounds good, but its just raytracing so far... or is it doing more than that? i mean - its not a full GI render engine like fprime, or am i wrong?

Limbus
02-21-2009, 09:58 AM
No GI? Then the price is to high.

jwiede
02-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Sensei, can you please clarify whether TrueHair's previewer does GI or not?

3dworks
05-28-2009, 05:05 AM
it doesn't... or is this supposed to change? any news? this tool is looking like to have a lot of potential...

cheers

markus

HenrikSkoglund
06-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Surely seems interesting to me as well... If it could do GI fast then it would replace Fprime for me since the wait for Fprime to get volumetric support never seems to end. Also, if it would be able to show hair/fur in the preview (like Modo 401), it would sort of complete the circle in a way. And I would really like another hair/fur solution since I have really been struggeling with getting shadows, motion blur etc. to work in a satisfying way in both Sas and FiberFX... Sas not being able to use all lights and cast traced shadows and FiberFX just crashing all the time.

So... keep up the good work, please.

Matt
06-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Sensei, you really ought to rename this to TrueView or something rather than TrueHair!

:D

3dworks
02-26-2010, 03:54 AM
sensei, any news about your great truehair previewer?
does it already work with mac 9.6.1 mac 64 bit? is this planned?

do you still sell it only with the complete hair package?

cheers

markus

3dworks
03-13-2010, 04:08 PM
bump... or is this thread definitely dead?

Sensei
03-20-2010, 01:36 PM
does it already work with mac 9.6.1 mac 64 bit? is this planned?

Thanks to you, yes.

3dworks is great beta tester.. :)

ps. Any Macintosh user know how to disable transparent windows in LW v9.6.1+ ???