PDA

View Full Version : stealth subs collide because they didn't see each other

biliousfrog
02-16-2009, 07:35 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2240543.ece

Although I'm extremely thankful that this story didn't end in disaster, I also find it hilarious.

Two submarines, one from UK the other from France, crashed into each other whilst in the Atlantic. Most of the reports then go on to say that they both were equiped with sonar...but very few also say that they both had the latest anti-sonar technology to become invisible to enemy ships...surely that creates some kind of black hole? :stumped:

What are the chances of two submarines bumping into each other in the Atlantic ocean?

RollerJesus
02-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Subs and satellites colliding. Millions-to-one is starting to not seem like such great odds.

Riff_Masteroff
02-16-2009, 08:21 AM
The solution is to kill whales for 'peace' and defense:

http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/marine/sonar.asp

biliousfrog
02-16-2009, 09:13 AM

thanks for the link :)

JeffrySG
02-16-2009, 09:53 AM

Didn't these people watch Star Trek IV!!!????!!! Do they want the EARTH to be destroyed???!?!?!!!

(that's governments and the military for you)

cresshead
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
looks like these 2 sub captains ARE whale lovers as they wern't using sonar..that's how they went 'bump in the night' ....oppss!..maybe they should have 'L' plates on them.

good to see the 32 nuclear missiles ALSO didn't go BANG or the reactors didn't melt there way thru to new zealand!

cresshead
02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Subs and satellites colliding. Millions-to-one is starting to not seem like such great odds.

yeah things are looking good for lightwave core development!:devil:

[oh i hate myself...i really do!...always see the funny side]

RollerJesus
02-16-2009, 10:31 AM
yeah things are looking good for lightwave core development!:devil:

[oh i hate myself...i really do!...always see the funny side]

Looks like the Core delivery has arrived and you guys say that NT doesn't know how to reveal a product...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,493344,00.html

or maybe it's a symbol of how much taxpayer money is burned when national assets collide in space.

Hopper
02-16-2009, 10:34 AM
What are the chances of two submarines bumping into each other in the Atlantic ocean?
I'd say 100%

I can't believe they didn't have the advanced curb feelers installed.

cresshead
02-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Looks like the Core delivery has arrived and you guys say that NT doesn't know how to reveal a product...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,493344,00.html

or maybe it's a symbol of how much taxpayer money is burned when national assets collide in space.

core reveal was a little later over europe>>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7836656.stm?lss

:thumbsup:

*Pete*
02-16-2009, 02:38 PM
they both were equiped with sonar...but very few also say that they both had the latest anti-sonar technology to become invisible to enemy ships.

its not that big of a mystery, and the media doesnt necessarily know what sonar is and what anti sonar is.

a sonar is like a radar..a sound that is sent from the sub, it returns an echo when it hits a solid object, a whale, terrain, sub or ship.

anti sonar tech is basically materials that absorb the sound pulse or divert its echo, not sure which..but basically it is not returning any echo that would show a sub on a sonar.

sounding of an sonar pulse will necessarily give away a subs position, its like a hidden, camouflaged sniper blowing in a duck-whistle to see if any enemies will pop up there heads to see what made the sound...it goes against logic for a sub that is in "silent/stealth mode" to use noise to detect other subs in stealth mode.

so this means, those subs were steering blindly, only methods they had to detect other subs were listening devices where they could have a chance to passively detect the engine or propeller of an enemy vessel.

...and since those subs are so silent, plus the noise of ones own sub, plus the noise of the sea, plus the noise of other shipping..it was basically impossible to hear the other sneaking sub.

but still, its a funny accident :D

RollerJesus
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
core reveal was a little later over europe>>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7836656.stm?lss

:thumbsup:

Sure was, but with far more drama it seems...

kopperdrake
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
You have to ask yourself, was the French sub accidentally bumped, or rammed :devil:

akademus
02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
I find it hilarious and embarrassing for both navies. You can imagine them insulting each other monthy python style :D

Holy grail castle scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs)

Nangleator
02-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Pete has most of it. Subs don't use active sonar until it's time for final target ranging.

It's pretty clear the French sub was hunting the British sub, and knew exactly where it was. The collision wasn't a case of the only two subs in the whole ocean bumping into each other by accident!

The Frenchy got in nice and tight into the other's baffles, where they couldn't be detected, and the French boat didn't react quickly enough to a speed change.

I'm guessing at who was in behind who, because I heard the British boat had to be towed home (props smashed) and the French boat had a damaged sonar dome (which is in the front.)

Sub skippers play these games every day, and all day long. It's their job. It's something they have to be good at.

Tranimatronic
02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
if you drive into the back of anyone else.... its your fault.
I would love to see the insurance claims for this one....
"description of accident"
Ill sleep soundly tonight knowing these people are looking after our nation's security.

ncr100
02-18-2009, 12:04 AM
It's because the UK subs use Windows. .NET c# dll hell = embarrassment.

akademus
02-18-2009, 01:14 AM
And french use Le Mac :D

DiedonD
02-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Dont drink and drive I always say! :D

Mitja
02-18-2009, 02:06 AM
I was wondering why it didn't happen before!
The Atlantic is such a small and crowded place....

DiedonD
02-18-2009, 02:27 AM

Hmmm... Perhaps they werent drinking as much before!

Mitja
02-18-2009, 02:46 AM
Yeah, don't drink and drive, but smoke and fly! .... :)

*Pete*
02-18-2009, 03:48 AM

Actually, it happens very often.
Just a year or so ago an american sub crashed into and sunk a japanese fishing boat.

Some 20 years ago a sovjet sub crashed into a small
Swedish island, next to a swedish navy base.

Kursk, the russian sub thank sunk 8 years ago was initially claimed to been rammed bv a nato sub.

The thing is, subs in "stealth" mode are completely blind to their surroundings, they cant even check the distance to the ground below the sub without exiting stealth mode.

DiedonD
02-18-2009, 03:55 AM
That sounds like the guy on that comedie movie with Ben Stiller. He could become invisible, but everyone else including him should first close their eyes!

Anyway, the soldiers and the overall staff within the Sub! They are trained and educated about the ins and outs of the sub! They know that the sub is blind at Stealth time! And if it has happened that it has crashed before, they oughta be told about it! Like Sub History lessons at army school!

What Im getting at is that I wonder how the feeling onboard might be like, when the Commander says 'We are now on stealth mode, I want everyone to be quiet!'

Theyd go like: 'Oh ****! We wont be able to see few feet away now!'

The feeling of moving in silenced emptiness, knowing that they could very easily bump into anything and that theres nothing that they could do about it!

And when it crashes and sinks, is there anyway for them to be saved from the sub?

zapper1998
02-18-2009, 03:57 AM

Considering the 17,000 + pieces of space junk, and now thousands more pieces flying around in orbit from the satelites...crashing into each other...was alien induced we know it just no body will admit to it...

We'll probably be seeing more activity in space....soon ...

Now the subs thats a different story, they were probably in the standard shipping lanes, and the lights in the traffic signals probably were burnt out so the just decided to go for it...not paying attention to the right of way at sea.. which there is i do believe, but under water hmmmm, might be a request for a replay of the camera at that traffic signal video... so the captains say....

kindas funny yes but.. thank you know who no one was killed and no radiation leakies....

:)

DiedonD
02-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Considering the 17,000 + pieces of space junk, and now thousands more pieces flying around in orbit from the satelites...crashing into each other...was alien induced we know it just no body will admit to it...

We'll probably be seeing more activity in space....soon ...

Now the subs thats a different story, they were probably in the standard shipping lanes, and the lights in the traffic signals probably were burnt out so the just decided to go for it...not paying attention to the right of way at sea.. which there is i do believe, but under water hmmmm, might be a request for a replay of the camera at that traffic signal video... so the captains say....

kindas funny yes but.. thank you know who no one was killed and no radiation leakies....

:)

If mysterious aliens of the yet unknown kind are the cause for the sattelites to collide to one another.

Then naturally, the mysterious undersea monster, of the unknown yet kind, is the cause of the subs colliding.

There... Its so nice we can always make conspriacies with the imaginative mysterious beeings :D . And get to blame them too!

JohnMarchant
02-18-2009, 04:14 AM

Its happened on a few occasions ;););)

Mitja
02-18-2009, 05:25 AM
Its happened on a few occasions ;););)

The same is with stealth planes, they collide every 2nd day...

biliousfrog
02-18-2009, 06:41 AM
You'd think that they'd fit windows in subs by now wouldn't you?...Personally, if I was going to travel around under the sea in a metal box full of nuclear weapons I'd want to be able to see 'something' even if it means having whiskers attached to the nose...or failing that strap some cushions around the outside just in case.

Tranimatronic
02-18-2009, 08:47 AM
tins of cat food ? on the outside of a sub ?
I love the pillows idea. The sea will look like a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows floating around in it.
Appart from it not being brown. Or warm. Or in a cup.
Appart from that EXACTLY like one.
Only bigger.

Bill_Evans
02-18-2009, 08:58 AM

Happens alot more then you think. French Sub was shadowing the British and ran into it, its not a coincidence it ran into the sub, its poor french driving.
-Bill

biliousfrog
02-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Happens alot more then you think. French Sub was shadowing the British and ran into it, its not a coincidence it ran into the sub, its poor french driving.
-Bill

Yeah, it's bad enough trying to cross a street in Paris, I wouldn't want to be in the way of a French submariner.

Mitja
02-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Submariners have the highest duty mortality...

Nangleator
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Submariners have the highest duty mortality...
Seriously? Nowadays? I'd think yellowshirt on a carrier or... well, the guys who carry guns.