PDA

View Full Version : Object vs Scene Surfacing??

Johnny
08-13-2003, 04:59 PM
in reading in the LW manual about Object vs Scene edit mode in Surface editor, I hate to admit that I don't understand the difference between the two, going by the description. To me, it merely seems like they're either grouping your layers by Object, or not grouping them at all in that list..

Not sure what they mean by: "scene mode is very handy if you want many objects to share a surface"

wouldn't you just tag them with the same surface in Modeler and be done with it?

J

toby
08-13-2003, 05:10 PM
in "scene mode", every surface that has the same name becomes identical, and when you change the surface it changes on all the different objects. I believe that this is the way LW used to work, and they included this as an option when they changed it -

mlinde
08-13-2003, 05:14 PM
If I recall my usage accurately, this is actually a great feature. Say you have a scene with lots of object with the same surface name. You want to make some basic settings to those surfaces, so you view by Scene. Edit the settings for those surfaces. Now, you've got one object you want to have some differences. Edit by object, and just that one object's surface will change.

Try it.
1) Make a box in modeler, give it a custom surface name, and save it.
2) Now save it with a different name (but don't rename the surface).
3) Load both boxes into Layout.
4) Open the surface editor, set to edit by scene, and make changes to the surface.
5) Switch to edit by object, and make changes to each object individually.

See how that can be useful?

Johnny
08-13-2003, 05:30 PM
I can see how it would be useful now...my (in)experience hasn't brought me to such a need, tho..

the manual's example has a pile of objects like 'cowhead', 'coweye,' 'cowtail,' etc..

so, the names aren't identical, but they have something in common..

J

toby
08-13-2003, 05:35 PM
That's more useful than I thought - good trick to know

spardacus
08-15-2003, 04:57 AM
Maybe ya'll can shed some light on a parrallel topic on the Surface Editor.

I actually love the scene vs object surface hierarchy... I guess 'cause I "understood it".

I still ... sorry mlinde and toby ... don't get how to remove or delete an unwanted surface.

I have an object that is currently carrying three surfaces. This is by mistake as I fumbled around the surface editor from LW to Modeler.

How can I remove two surfaces altogether?

I'm sure placing multiple surfaces on an object is goin to be great fun ... one day. Today, however, I am frustrated on how to clean up - and minimize - my object surfacing data.

thank you

toby
08-15-2003, 05:50 AM
"how to remove or delete an unwanted surface"

You don't. :)

Any surface that's not assigned to a polygon will not be there when you close and re-load the object. I guess it was deemed unimportant to provode a 'delete' feature since it doesn't affect the model or performance.