PDA

View Full Version : where is 'registration wizard'? Have dongle but running in discovery mode

3dWannabe
02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I'd been running the 30 day 9.6 trial.

I registered the Lock ID and serial # at register.newtek.com.

I got back an email saying:

On the Mac, you will find the Registration Wizard in the Programs folder. Run the Registration wizard, and follow the instructions to place your permanent key on your system.

However, there is no registration wizard.

When I run LW, even after trashing my older prefs, it runs in discovery mode.

How can I get my permanent key? Tech support, which I thought was 7 days a week, doesn't answer.

zapper1998
02-15-2009, 01:23 PM
go to:
http://register.newtek.com/Splash.aspx

then go to the tab named "My Products"

Your information is there..

3dWannabe
02-15-2009, 01:34 PM
zapper - I had already done that. Registered the dongle - which generated the email telling me to use the 'registration wizard' program in the 'programs' folder on the Mac.

However, as I mentioned, there is no registration wizard.

Chilton
02-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi,

That email is wrong. The wizard is no longer needed, for the Universal Binary.
1) Copy your unlock code to the clipboard
2) Open Layout or Modeler.
3) Choose the 'Enter Unlock Code' item in the Mac OS X Help menu in either of those apps.
4) Enter your code, when prompted.
5) Quit and restart LightWave.

That should do it. If that doesn't work, please let us know!

Thank you,
-Chilton

3dWannabe
02-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Chilton - in the 'Help' menu of Modeler - there is only 'search' and 'web based help'.

I do not see 'Enter Unlock Code'.

What obvious thing am I missing?

Thanks!

3dWannabe
02-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Chilton - that menu is only available in Layout, not Modeler.

Problem resolved, but you might update your registration confirmation emails - as this was a bit confusing.

Thanks!

Chilton
02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi 3dWannabe,

I will do that. Glad to hear you're up and running!

-Chilton

3dWannabe
02-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Chilton - I'm currently installing the help.

I looked at the pdf from this link:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94245

and copied the macHelp.zip files into the proper directory.

Is there a way to get context sensitive help, so that if I open a dialog and press F1, the help displayed (on a Mac UB) will show the help for that specific dialog?

Also, I've downloaded and renamed the PDFs as outlined in that tech note. When they are installed in the Documentation folder inside the Lightwave Application folder, exactly how will I access them from inside Lightwave? Are they part of the context sensitive help?

Thanks!

Chilton
02-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi,

Chilton - I'm currently installing the help.

I looked at the pdf from this link:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94245

and copied the macHelp.zip files into the proper directory.

Is there a way to get context sensitive help, so that if I open a dialog and press F1, the help displayed (on a Mac UB) will show the help for that specific dialog?

I *think* I know the answer to this, but my system already has them set up, so I'll make a new account and try it from scratch, just to make sure. I'll give you an answer in a few minutes.

Also, I've downloaded and renamed the PDFs as outlined in that tech note. When they are installed in the Documentation folder inside the Lightwave Application folder, exactly how will I access them from inside Lightwave? Are they part of the context sensitive help?

Well, that's where they'd technically go, but I don't think we link to the PDFs from inside LW anywhere. So feel free to put them wherever you feel it is convenient, and access them from there.

Also, if you're a more visual person (like I am), or a product of the MTV generation, have ADHD, or are generally impatient, you might find these videos very helpful:

http://newtek.com/lightwave/training.php

HTH,
-Chilton

Chilton
02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Alright, assuming you're using the UB version (and if you are not, you should be)...

1) Quit LightWave. There's a reason, I'll get to that in a sec.
2) Download the Help.zip file, and decompress that. It will turn into a Help folder.
3) Move that Help folder to your SharedSupport folder, which resides in the /Applications/LightWave3D 9.6/ folder. If it asks, you do want to replace the existing 'Help' folder with the one you've downloaded.
4) Start Layout.
5) Hit F1 or choose the 'Contents' link under the popup Help menu on the LightWave sidebar.

When Layout (or Modeler, possibly as well) starts, it checks to see if you have that help folder present. If so, it registers its presence with OS X, and hooks up everything for you.

Let us know if there's anything else you need!
-Chilton

3dWannabe
02-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Chilton - loved the videos, which were a primary reason for my purchase of Lightwave.

BTW - one other issue.

I'm on a Mac trying to get the bonus materials installed.

Unlike Windows, when I copy a folder over a folder (if copy xx folder into a folder that already contans an xx folder) it does a replace not a merge.

I've been trying for an hour to copy everything from the Bonus content into one content folder. Starting out with the earlier version, and then adding the later ones (is this the way to do this?)

I just can't get everything copied, something gets replaced, as there are so many sub-directories, even when I try to open each sub directory and copy it only.

What's a good way to get this accomplished? I'm looking at purchasing a 3rd party file manager like Path Finder (just sent them an email to see if they can merge rather than replace).

For your 30 day trial folks (who have not yet purchased), I expect this might be an issue also, would be nice to have one single 9.6 bonus material content folder that had it all set up.

Thanks!

3dWannabe
02-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Chilton - I opened Layout, and when I pressed F1, it opened Lightwave9 help, but didn't go to help for the dialog I had open (surface editor).

Not sure if you designed it to do that or not.

Thanks.

Chilton
02-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi,

Chilton - I opened Layout, and when I pressed F1, it opened Lightwave9 help, but didn't go to help for the dialog I had open (surface editor).

Not sure if you designed it to do that or not.

I'm sorry, I should have caught that earlier. It's not designed to be context sensitive, unfortunately.

But that's a really good idea! The help system is actually content indexed, so it uses the OS X content searching and relevance ranking systems to find relevant parts of the help files, but aside from that it's not entirely context sensitive.

-Chilton

Chilton
02-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Chilton - loved the videos, which were a primary reason for my purchase of Lightwave.

BTW - one other issue.

I'm on a Mac trying to get the bonus materials installed.

Unlike Windows, when I copy a folder over a folder (if copy xx folder into a folder that already contans an xx folder) it does a replace not a merge.

I've been trying for an hour to copy everything from the Bonus content into one content folder. Starting out with the earlier version, and then adding the later ones (is this the way to do this?)

I just can't get everything copied, something gets replaced, as there are so many sub-directories, even when I try to open each sub directory and copy it only.

What's a good way to get this accomplished? I'm looking at purchasing a 3rd party file manager like Path Finder (just sent them an email to see if they can merge rather than replace).

For your 30 day trial folks (who have not yet purchased), I expect this might be an issue also, would be nice to have one single 9.6 bonus material content folder that had it all set up.

Thanks!

Hmm. It looks like that's what they expect you to do, and that's a problem. I'll look into it.

-Chilton

3dWannabe
02-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Hmm. It looks like that's what they expect you to do, and that's a problem. I'll look into it.

-Chilton
Chilton - yes, I think for Mac users it might be.

I bet most Mac users don't realize the Finder does a destructive removal of the destination folder (of any folders inside with the same name) when using the finder to copy folders from one folder to another.

No other version of "move" in the world REPLACES a directory, they all "merge". Thankfully OSX is written on top of Unix. So, using the terminal window one could use the following (which are still quite a pain for most Mac users, lots of typing where one mistake....)

mv -v /Volumes/Internal/Users/[username]/Desktop/directory /Volumes/External/

This will cause the contents to merge, not totally obliterate.

or use ditto:
Use the ditto command in the Terminal, which is in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder; for instructions on its use, enter 'man ditto' without the quote marks into the Terminal prompt.
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/ditto.1.html

And, of course the user will spend some frustrating time figuring how to do this, if he is able.

So, yes - a single content download for 9.6 would be really appeciated.

?? I wonder if I could unzip them on an XP box, assemble them, and then move them to the Mac, would this mess anything up? - as I don't think those Mac file managers I mentioned do a merge either (I saw many complaints on their forums).

Thanks!