View Full Version : God damn!!!!

02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
I move to another country and all hell breaks loose!!!

I have a couple of questions, as im a mac user thought best to stick em in here.

Q1: What the hell is LWCore? Should i be thinking of buying it? What does it do? Sorry i know someone is going to point me to a thread ive probably thought about reading and didnt....

Q2: I was thinking i could get a good deal on a Mac Pro right now what with everything going on in the world of money. But ...ahem.....Nehalem chips, they look very tasty. should i hold out, as ive been reading the chips come out end of March, which could mean another 6 weeks, maybe longer for the new MacPros........

Your kind opinions please......

Hey maybe now ive settled in a little more to my new home i can crack open LW 9.6 and give it the shnizzles.


02-15-2009, 01:15 PM

watch the reveal video for all the information everybode else here already knows :)

About your macpro... I wouldn't know, you can always wait to get a better machine, this never stops. I just upgraded from a single 1.8Ghz G5 to a 8 core 2.8 Ghz Mac pro, more then 10 times as fast, so I'm happy with it, no matter if there will be other processors next week or next month.

02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Computers should be purchased when you need them. New computer tech is always around the corner. The current Mac Pro is a nice machine at a premium price. It will run both Mac OS X & Windows XP (if you need it) very fast for you.

02-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Ahem.....but....ahem ....wow........thats the bees knees aye.

I think ill be getting my hardcore membership soon enough.....amazing stuff. Really does get my nads pumping (ok maybe too much info there sorry:)).

Yea i need a new machine, its not a wanting urge its a needing neccesity. I realize there is always improvements coming 6 months down the line, but my belief is that from what ive read after this chipset improvements may slow down somewhat for a couple of years or so. Thats why im in two minds whether just to hold out that little bit longer.

My MBP has this ATI x1600 Radeon card which just doesnt hack it anymore, especially with the display annomolies that i now have (logic board is on its way out). So i hear what your all saying, i was coming to the conclusion that i should just bite the bullet and get the machine now, i guess with apple protection i can always sell it in 6 months time for not much loss in money and then buy a new Nehalem chipped machine instead when they finally come out.

But i do have to say that CORE looks very tasty, i will have to recalculate though to allow for that slight extra cost.



02-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Mmmm will Core be 64 bit on Macs one day?????

02-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Yes it will. It wil also run on G5's.

If you're gonna buy a mac pro now, you'd better take the Nvidia card instead of the ATI, it kan make a difference (look at their tests) and especialy when Core gets here.

02-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Yea i had priced that Nvidia GT 512 Mb card in, along with the 3 ghz processors, plus the 500gb hard drive, airport.

Just wondering about displays though. At 391's for a 20" display, i could get 2 fairly nice 24" displays for almost the same money.

Thats the bit im stuck on now, which display setup.

Ive worked on 30" displays which are really nice, but i cant justify the cost for those right now.

02-16-2009, 12:22 PM
You could always look around Mac websites and try to get a feel for when the next version of the hardware is going to be announced and wait to buy after the next announcement if it is expected in the near future. The new model may not be available for a while, but the current models should cost less.

I had a couple of friends who bought powerbooks less than a month before the new models came out and were very frustrated knowing what they could've had for the same price.

Of course, a need is a need and new systems sometimes have new bugs so you may have to buy now regardless of what Apple is planning.

24" monitors are nice. :)

02-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Yea its a tricky decision, all tis speculation on when new MacPro will be out. Not before end of March from what i can gleam on macrumours website. But i really need a new machine and it cant wait any longer so.........i have to buy now and just take the rough with the smooth i guess. Hmmmppphhh. But you know, 30% faster machine is like a huge difference i would think on 3D and Video editing.

Also what you say about new bugs in new systems is always something to consider i guess, but i like that apple update often and seem to iron out bugs.

My bad experience with apple actually comes from 1st generation MBP and i believe all MBP's with and ATI Radeon x1600 card have a major design flaw that apple feel they can ignore. So i do worry about 'new' new apple products sometimes.

And now apple have discontinued the 20" screens, it seems they have at least made one decision for me:) I wont be buying the 24" apple screens i dont think, not when i can buy a HP one for half the price. I asked a pro photographer what they thought about the new glossy screens. They said they had hardly noticed any difference, and thats coming from someone who i thought would kick back against the glossy screens....so hey ho!!