PDA

View Full Version : Stupid 9.6 loading question

DCordes
02-15-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm hesitant to even ask, but oh well.

What's the "exact" procedure to load 9.6 on Mac UB?

Dragging and dropping as instructed (would be painfully simple) to the applications folder does not work. It wants the license key and doesn't update the previous version of LW.

Sorry for the stupid question.

bethel
02-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Not its not an update of the previous version. You have to physically copy and paste the license key from the 'Shared Support' folder of the previous version to the 'shared support' folder of LW9.6.

DCordes
02-15-2009, 09:56 AM
That was it..maybe. I wonder why it's not documented? Or is it?

Thanks!

Sarford
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I believe there is a script (make licence) you should run to create your key. I think it was discribed in the install files once. It could be simpler, I agree. Let's hope the instalment of Core goes smoother.

Chilton
02-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi,

The procedure is pretty simple, but we have a LOT of people with specific variations on it that they all deemed critical, so we accommodate all of them.

If the license.key file is found in the default location for any Universal Binary version of LightWave, which is in the ~/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/ folder, it will find it there and use that.

There are about 3 other places it will find it as well, all documented in the readme. However, I see that the readme only appears to have made it to the disk version, and I don't see it in the downloadable version. I'll see if we can correct that.

The main way to do this though is through the Mac OS X Help menu in Layout or Modeler. Choose the 'Enter Unlock Code...' from that menu item, and copy your unlock code from register.newtek.com or your email, into that. And it takes care of the rest for you.

And if that doesn't work, please let us know!

...I need to find out about that readme now...

HTH,
-Chilton

DCordes
02-16-2009, 06:47 AM
It worked just fine. Thanks again. I've recently jumped back into LW as my main 3D tool, so I'm learning all over again.

Looking forward to what the CORE has to offer as well.