PDA

View Full Version : Weird render - other ways to do this?

Algae998
02-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Hey all,

Im still trying to fully understand the secrets of lighting. My friend was helping me out and messing around with various setting and the render attached was the result.
I think the render looks really cool, especially how it works with the blocky animation character. So, what Id like to know is, are there other ways of getting this luminescent result?

I was able to figure out what caused this particular render. The camera, light and everything are in an enclosed room. I have an hdri image loaded in image world and the camera view background in the display options set to background image. I only have one dome light in the scene and its light intensity is set to 0%, with the ambient intensity set to 800%.
I dont really understand why this happened, but I think its a pretty interesting render.

The only way I can figure to get something similar to this luminescent style, is to have a character/object with seperated pieces (like the figure in the render), having lights parented to different pieces and the surfrace settings set for transluscent.

Any ideas?

adamredwoods
02-17-2009, 11:25 AM
You could create a weight map to control the luminosity texture for the object's surfaces.
Or in short:
luminosity texture->gradient->weight map

MUCUS
02-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I would try that with only a point light and SSS node for the character

toby
02-20-2009, 03:13 AM
Just so you know, your hdri will do absolutley nothing unless; the room is set to 'unseen by rays', or your ray recursion is set quite low; and having ambient set to 800% depends on what color you have it set to. 800% white would make your character, if not the whole image, look solid white. Also, if you use Image World, your hdr *must* be a 'light probe' image. If it's a spherical map hdr, use the texture environment plugin instead.