PDA

View Full Version : Maya style navigation in CORE?

Sonk
02-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah that's my only request for CORE so far, Maya style navigation because i can't stand the LW one. There should be a preference for this in CORE if you want to grab user outside of the LW community.

Nemoid
02-15-2009, 06:02 AM
second that, and i'd ask for several options for navigatgion style either, and for mouse buttons assignment too.

Maya navigation stile just fits better for my hands. 1 key 3 mouse buttons.

another navigation style i like is Zbrush navigation style, in wich you can rotate the model freely, and snap it in side, top, front, whatever view hitting shift when object is near to that POV. its great for working with a tablet. :)

G M D THREE
02-15-2009, 09:04 AM
another navigation style i like is Zbrush navigation style, in wich you can rotate the model freely, and snap it in side, top, front, whatever view hitting shift when object is near to that POV. its great for working with a tablet. :)

lol, this made my day.

If there is a app no one should mimic its shortcuts and navigation style, than its most def Zbrush. It has by far the worst shortcuts and workflow of any 3d app on the market out there.

///

Nicolas Jordan
02-15-2009, 09:20 AM
:agree: The navigation was one of the only things I liked about Maya when I used it years ago.

Nemoid
02-15-2009, 11:11 AM
lol, this made my day.

If there is a app no one should mimic its shortcuts and navigation style, than its most def Zbrush. It has by far the worst shortcuts and workflow of any 3d app on the market out there.

///

laugh as you want, but for me is awesome, especially with tablet

pooby
02-15-2009, 11:44 AM
I'd like to see CORE completely customisable with options to mimic Maya, XSI and Max etc as presets.

Verlon
02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
And it only took 3 posts to show that a customizeable interface is the way to go.

(and add 3D connexion support too.... :devil: )

jasonwestmas
02-15-2009, 12:11 PM
laugh as you want, but for me is awesome, especially with tablet

ZBrush Nav for scultping, not comparable to Nav in a subpatch/poly modeling with a mouse imo. ZB Nav is just fine and dandy when sculpting with a pen.

jasonwestmas
02-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I'd like to see CORE completely customisable with options to mimic Maya, XSI and Max etc as presets.

Yeah, I would go this way too though I'm pretty comfortable in modeler.

SkidBoot
02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
It sounds like Core will be very customizable. I was reading the tech specs in the Core site and it seems Core may have some XSI ICE-like capabilities. I am drawing my own conclusions here, but that's what I get. I like where Lightwave is heading. I watched some of the reveal and Newtek has the right idea. I'm excited.

Oh, and add another vote for options to set up navigation however you want with presets to match competitor's software regardless of what it is.

cresshead
02-15-2009, 03:28 PM
second that, and i'd ask for several options for navigatgion style either, and for mouse buttons assignment too.

Maya navigation stile just fits better for my hands. 1 key 3 mouse buttons.

:agree:

custom keys are the way to go and then be able to save them as reloadable themes

i really like zbrush viewport navigation for sculpting and also the brushes too

maya nav for usual 3d duties and maybe some sort of hotbox via spacebar or something similar so we can hid the whole u.i and still get to ANY manue within core like you can in maya with the hotbox.

Sonk
02-15-2009, 04:04 PM
:agree:

custom keys are the way to go and then be able to save them as reloadable themes

i really like zbrush viewport navigation for sculpting and also the brushes too

maya nav for usual 3d duties and maybe some sort of hotbox via spacebar or something similar so we can hid the whole u.i and still get to ANY manue within core like you can in maya with the hotbox.

The Maya hotbox is patented so you can't really copy it. I would just prefer a universal context menu ala Mirai/Nendo/Wings3D or just allow the users to customize the right click menu. Here is what Mirai context menu looks like:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1761/contextinfohx8.jpg

You can see that each tool has left, middle and right mouse button, in the example it's the extrude tool. Being able to define those L,M,B for a specific tool would be awesome. You can access anything from rendering,rigging,etc thru other context menu.

Pre-selection highlighting would be a time saver also ala Mirai:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4092/shes9.gif

This is important because you don't have to move your mouse all the way to reach a element(vertex,edge,polygon). You then can perform modeling task on the highlighted element.

cresshead
02-15-2009, 04:33 PM
hotbox patened>>yeah that's why 3dsmax [before autodesk owned maya] went with righthand click quad menu's...lightwave core could also do something similar so not to infringe on patents.

pre selection hilighting is already in core btw..see the video!

Sonk
02-15-2009, 04:53 PM
pre selection hilighting is already in core btw..see the video!

I watched it again but i do not see any pre selection highlighting going on, i do see him selecting polygons which turns them yellow-orange.
:thumbsdow

Modo has this feature but it's implemented wrong. 8/

The Dommo
02-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Back in the days of SoftImage 3D (pre XSI) for translation, scale and rotation, you'd have the right tool selected, and then Left mouse button worked exclusively on the X axis, middle button on Y, and right button on Z.

That worked very well indeed and became very natural.

cresshead
02-15-2009, 05:51 PM
pre selection hi lighting is in 3dsmax 2009 and also as you demo'd in wings3d..also silo i believe too.

lordtangent
02-16-2009, 01:02 AM
I too like the Maya style navigation. Once you get used to "orbiting" lights and the camera, it's tough to go back. (Especially orbiting lights to set them up)

akademus
02-16-2009, 02:10 AM
I'd just like the Alt button navigation to work in all viewports!

Red_Oddity
02-16-2009, 02:50 AM
I absolutly hate the way the camera navigation in Maya works when i need to animate the camera, you can't rotate the camera without moving it when viewing through the camera (this is something that works so much nicer in LW).

And yes, i'm aware Maya has a LW style navigation tool, but it's pretty much borked and the navigation axis are inverted.

So for the love of whatever deity, give us the option, but don't make it mandatory.

akademus
02-16-2009, 08:44 AM
I absolutly hate the way the camera navigation in Maya works when i need to animate the camera, you can't rotate the camera without moving it when viewing through the camera (this is something that works so much nicer in LW).

And yes, i'm aware Maya has a LW style navigation tool, but it's pretty much borked and the navigation axis are inverted.

So for the love of whatever deity, give us the option, but don't make it mandatory.

That is why I use SpaceNavigator in Maya!

Guess with new Core architecture we'll get support for LW too at last.

theo
02-16-2009, 09:07 AM

Alternatively, I thoroughly enjoy ZB's workflow.

MAUROCOR
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
For me Maya and ZBrush have the worst style navigation ever! I really hope NT donīt get inspiration of those apps.:thumbsdow

02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Ditto on zbrush for sculpting - it's the best for me. I hate mudbox's maya style nav when sculpting. Zbrush gets it right, especially when you can also flow quite smoothly between hiding/unhiding polygroups and masking with this too. It's not just about navigation in the viewport. That's something that other sculpting solutions completely miss out on. When you factor that extra workflow boost in, mudbox slows right down in comparison.

Personally I think the LW/Modo default nav scheme works much better than other 3d apps when used with a tablet (blenders works the same way btw). A mouse on the other hand... well nothing short of full on customization the way silo does it would make me happy. And maya can keep its hotbox. What a pos.

lordtangent
02-16-2009, 06:57 PM
I just want a "orbit" option like Alt dragging in Modeller. It is SOOOO useful for setting up lights. But yes, it can be pain for animating the camera. Basically it's useless for actually animating.

Silkrooster
02-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Alternatively, I thoroughly enjoy ZB's workflow.

Oh man I am just the opposite. I don't like the work flow, but i do see the possibilities with it.

jasonwestmas
02-17-2009, 07:42 AM
So it sounds like 50/50 on Zbrush workflow. :P

probiner
02-17-2009, 08:06 AM
I dont like the CTRL+SHIFT part, but the 3 menu shortcuts (Ctrl+Shift+left/middle/right mouse button) Lw has now are pretty ok.
Could be better? Sure.

Nemoid
02-17-2009, 11:03 AM

But core will not be Maya, and camera will not be similar to Maya either, i believe... its just a matter of giving options to chage keyboard shortcuts and mouse buttons assignment, not the way camera works in Lw (it is actually awesome) :thumbsup:

mouse_art
02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
As Option ok, as standart, no thanks. ;)

Mike_RB
02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
let move and rotate work on the camera as it does now, but also let alt work like a perspective viewport for orbiting. We all win.

dwburman
02-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I agree with the customizable viewport navigation idea. We want to get new users from other apps in here and if they are as frustrated with the navigation LW as I am in Maya then, if possible, fix it for them... just don't break the interface I've been working with for over a decade. :D

I do think that the convention of pressing the spacebar to open a user configurable menu is an odd thing to patent. I guess the way some of the menu items are spring-loaded and you have the options in a circle around your pointer is unique but it seems like something similar could be implemented that didn't step on a patent.

Matt
02-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Camera navigation is LightWave is just fine as it is! It's one of the things I LOVE about LightWave, I would NOT want that to change.

At least, make all this stuff user configurable.

JeffrySG
02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I would just prefer a universal context menu ala Mirai/Nendo/Wings3D or just allow the users to customize the right click menu. Here is what Mirai context menu looks like:

Agreed, I also love the Mirai style of view rotation. Silo has that as well. And we definitely need pre-selection highlighting and the ability/option to do operations on pre-selected elements too.

JeffrySG
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Camera navigation is LightWave is just fine as it is! It's one of the things I LOVE about LightWave, I would NOT want that to change.

At least, make all this stuff user configurable.

I agree, I would just like the ability to view rotate with any mouse button I choose as well. Middle mouse click for me, please! Mirai style!

And I want to be able to use ANY of my keys for operations. I hate the way LW limits what keys you can use for shortcuts.

akademus
02-18-2009, 06:52 AM
let move and rotate work on the camera as it does now, but also let alt work like a perspective viewport for orbiting. We all win.

Exactly. Give people choice to have it one way or the other...