PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to conform to curve?

sublimationman
02-14-2009, 11:05 PM
I have a film strip object I made as a segmented flat plane. I would like to make it wavy, I tried bend but can't get it to bend like I want and be smooth. I can draw a bezier curve exactly like I want it curved. Is there a way to bend it to the curve? The first image before shows the film strip from the front and the second is a top view with a Bezier curve that I would like to bend it to.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Sekhar
02-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Try CurveConform displacement (under Deform) in Layout.

ramccombe
02-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Use Spline Guide. Set up background curve as normal, select layer to be modified, load, modify, transform Spline Guide. In the numeric panel select appropriate axis, select Bend and select get background curve. That should do it.:thumbsup:

sublimationman
02-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Both of these methods work but there is a problem. They stretch the frames of the film elongating it where the curve is more pronounced. To show this I made an exaggerated curve below and left some of it strait on purpose for comparison.

Now it's got a kink in it but look at the length of the frames before and after the bend, it is quite a bit longer after the bend. When I make a smooth bend it's less noticeable until you render it with a photo in the frame.

Not sure how I would compensate for the stretching.

precedia
02-15-2009, 02:01 AM
Don't forget about Cloth dynamics in Layout.

You can let Layout's dynamics and cloth engine take your film and bend it into shape using real collision and dynamic calculations.

I have attached a mock-up scene file where I placed a test film strip and a curve that was extruded.

The film strip had cloth applied to it. The curved surface has a collision dynamic applied to it.

When you open the scene file, select filem_v001:Layer1 and open its Properties (p). Select the Dynamics tab, select ClothFX, the press the Calculate button and watch the film strip drop and confirm to the collision surface.

When the calculation is done simply select File->Save->Save Trans Object... to save the modified film strip.

Experiment with the cloth settings and collision objects, especially cloth settings that don't allow much stretch to your original film.

Even add some wind into the scene and have your film strip gently blow and sway into some interesting pattern before you save it out again.

Although hand-done modeling techniques work (very) well, my point is to not forget about applying actual cloth, collision, and wind dynamics as a helper tool when modeling paper or cloth-like material. It can save you quite a bit of time and sometimes generates more life-like patterns and effects.

Daniel

SplineGod
02-15-2009, 06:07 AM
I would also try a free plugin called c bend. You can find a link to it on flay.com