PDA

View Full Version : Background hires image display

Boris Goreta
02-14-2009, 04:47 AM
I have an images set as background image in effects->compositing tab. Camera View Background is set to background image and the image displays in camera viewport. But LW chooses fixed OpenGL resolution for the display of this image. Resolution of the original is very high but it seems I can only display it this way at around 1024x1024 or maybe less. I need more detail in the viewport.

rsfd
02-14-2009, 06:02 AM
Hello,
a background image always shows off uncut (full size) in camera view, but screen resolution is normally lower then highres imagery, so interpolation comes in just to show that image full size in viewport.
I don't know, how LW interpolates or if LW uses a proxy image for the display, but LW shows background images always kind of "blurry".
You just can't show an image that exceeds screen resolution that detailed as you would expect in a 100% view (e.g. in photoshop).

But, if camera resolution matches background image resolution you should get an acceptable image quality even with highres imagery.

It could help to reduce the image resolution in photoshop (e.g) to a size, that better fits screen resolution by achieving as much detail as possible (so you would get less "on-screen" interpolation from LW).

But... it depends on what this image is used for.
(A highres image renders highres, if you render highres. If you need this image as a placeholder for later compositing and just more detail to match items and camera more precisely, then I would try to reduce image size and see if that gives you a better quality in camera viewport. You would then comp your highres render to the original (highres) background image in a compositing software.
If you need the highres as background as you render it with the scene, then I unfortunately have no idea how to get a better viewport quality, (sorry).

Boris Goreta
02-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Shame it can't show it sharp. Check out the attached image. The background image is blurred but the polygon which sits in front of camera and has the same image front projected looks sharp.

rsfd
02-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Yes, I see what you mean.
I think, LW uses a "not so good" interpolation method for displaying background images in camera viewport, as otherwise images are shown with a better quality.
But it seems to me, you have already found a possible fix for that.