PDA

View Full Version : I don't know about this video card...

hrgiger
02-13-2009, 04:54 PM
I just my new my i7 system up and running last night but I'm already having a snag. I haven't really gotten to put the video card to a real test yet but I was playing some video today and whenever I put the video (media player) to full screen, the video starts skipping and losing sync with the audio. I just watched part of the same movie on my previous system yesterday with no issues and it was a Q6600 with an 8800 GeForce card in it (32 bit) and now I'm having issues playing video full screen on my new i7 system with a GeForce 285GTX OC (64-bit). I mean, does this card suck or is something else going on that could do this? I'm emailing tech support for the card now but can anyone help me figure this out?
Jeez, I was hoping this new system would be better to do some video editing then my old one but maybe not.

hrgiger
02-13-2009, 05:28 PM
and yes, I have the most recent driver for my card.

Mr Big
02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Try playing the video on quicktime if you can, I was having a sync problem with media player. When I play the video on quicktime it worked.

P.S I am not trying to start an O.S war here .

JMCarrigan
02-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Hrgiger, was Mr Big's solution not working? I hate Media Player at times. I'm either graduating this system to the entertainment center as a dvr or I'm gonna upgrade the mobo etc to the i7 etc.

hrgiger
02-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, I'm not the biggest fan of QT but I did try it out. The video seems to work ok but I only use QT on a limited basis. It's not necessarily bugging me that I can't play full screen video at the moment, what concerns me is that I paid almost $400 for this video card which can't seem to handle full screen video like my older 8800 could. That's why I'm hoping it's an issue with media player.

mattclary
02-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Steve, you can also get the VLC media player from download.com. I install it standard on all my customer's machines for the main reason that it will play DVDs for free. I like it a lot better than Windows media player.

As to the actual issue, i suspect it is a driver issue. The 285 is pretty new, so they are probably still working the kinks out. If you still have your 8800, try putting it in the new system and see how it works.

Oddly enough, I'm planning to buy one myself here in the next few days.

hrgiger
02-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Media player will play DVDs too.

It's not the fact that I'm having trouble playing video, it's just that when you buy a new system and new card and all that you don't expect to see such performance issues. I'm hoping it's a media player thing and that the card is performing as it should.
I thought about trying the old card too. I'll try the VLC player too and see how that works.

d1wojo
02-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I had the same problem with my new laptop. After a few weeks and updates from Vista things ran smooth for me.

Lewis
02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Try with old medial player/classic (on win XP you just hit Run/mplayer2.exe).

hrgiger
02-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Just installed the VLC player and it plays full screen with no problem. So it seems something is amiss with MP11 and my machine.

Lewis
02-14-2009, 06:00 PM
No it's just Mplayer 11, your machine is probably OK :D :D. I never use Mplayer after version 9 and i'm always using Mplayer classic and no problems :).

Oedo 808
02-14-2009, 06:09 PM
A friend of mine was complaining that even the demo clip that came with his PDA wouldn't play smoothly on it, I told him to use a third party player and that would solve the problem.

If you use MP, chances are you'll come unstuck at some point, no need to have any worries about the card you have there.

BTW, I also use VLC.

mattclary
02-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Media player will play DVDs too.

Yeah, weird, just tried it with media player 10 on my machine and it works. It may have just been previous versions of media player...

hrgiger
02-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Yeah, weird, just tried it with media player 10 on my machine and it works. It may have just been previous versions of media player...

Yeah, it didn't in previous versions but 10 and beyond will play them.

IMI
02-15-2009, 08:48 AM
WMP is kinda weird at times, but honestly I'd blame the driver for the vid card before anything else. What about frame rate on that machine, using WMP, as opposed to the other machine?
How's it doing with other apps like LW, and have you tried it with any games? The nvidia drivers tend to be designed for gaming, mostly, and apps and video playback are very much secondary concerns to them when designing drivers.