PDA

View Full Version : 24+ Hour Check Disk

m4a2000
02-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I started this yesterday and I am just now getting near the end of phase 2. The drive is a LaCie Big Disk Extreme 500 gig and I hocked it up to my laptop via USB 2.0... I Know I should have done FireWire...

Anyways, like I was saying I'm near the end of phase 2. It looks to have one more little bar to go and it has been that way for the past five hours!!! Last night it look to have stalled halfway through phase 1. I really hope it gets done and I can recover what I can off the hard drive.

BigHache
02-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Did the drive fail on you?

If that doesn't complete you could also try removing the hard drive itself from the enclosure and connecting it internally to your computer. That would void any warranty left on the drive, but information is usually more valuable than warranty.

Good luck!

zapper1998
02-14-2009, 02:32 AM
did you enable all the checks ????

Personally I have some big HD's, 4 - 500 gig HD's, all are partitioned to 125 gig
IMHO anything over 137 gig is to much for the OS and the clusters just get scattered to easlily...

gerry_g
02-14-2009, 06:04 AM
Had my oldest Lacie external go down about a week ago, second one I lost this year, this doesn't mean I think there bad drives far from it the last to go down was around seven years old and despite this have lost no data at all in the past eight to nine years. The drive that went down prior to that was stalling and starting just like yours but it got there cos like you I just left it running till it did, you switch it off chances are it'll never start again. As to partition size 137gigs as a max is questionable, I have three 1tb drives daisy chained by Firewire800 each is partitioned into three and each partition is 310,75gb's they're accessible over a network and run just fine

akademus
02-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Some people praise Lacie drives, some hate them. I never had serious problems with any of them. I think check program just stalled. There might be some fishy data on it

m4a2000
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, it stopped itself and I am almost done backing up all the data. Anyone know of a good USB/FireWire harddrive besides LaCie?

akademus
02-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, it stopped itself and I am almost done backing up all the data. Anyone know of a good USB/FireWire harddrive besides LaCie?

Western Digital...