PDA

View Full Version : Archviz must-haves?

Nangleator
02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I've gotten a nibble on some bargain-basement archviz work that a client may need. I'm no professional at that, so I've told the client I can be cheap, but don't expect me to be fast.

When the first sniff of money comes along, I'll buy LWCAD. What else should I consider? Is LW GI the right tool for the job? How important is it to buy libraries of furniture or loitering people? Is that sort of thing expensive?

I've got Polytrans with a CAD module. How are files usually given to you? How much work do you have to do on a CAD model after you get it into LW? Honestly, I don't even know if I'll get CAD models from this client. I may end up trying to decipher blueprints from a PDF.

How would you suggest I break into archviz?

*Pete*
02-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Archviz must haves....Lightwave.

to be successfull you need nothing more, LW is enough..its render engine is strong, its modelling abilities are great.

LWcad is great too, but you do not need it to get into archviz...i suggest you pay for LWcad and other plugins with the projects you get.

but, if you are into buying plugins...id buy HDInstance instead of LWcad..you can do everything that LWcad does in modeller, even if it is more of a job, but you cant do what HDinstance does in any other way than having the plugin.

i have been getting mainly PDF files or sketchy drawings on a piece of paper showing what im to construct, i havent built anything by actual Cad drawings yet...im sure others will advice you better on the workflow.

Tzan
02-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Pete has good advice.

3D people: http://www.axyz-design.com/
You cant use these for close ups, but are good at a distance.

3D Cars/people: http://www.lowpolygon3d.com/
Low poly and low price, Oh they have people now!
They have free samples.

Free furniture: http://www.e-interiors.net/
I havent tried them yet I usually just do exterior.

waly
02-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I've gotten a nibble on some bargain-basement archviz work that a client may need. I'm no professional at that, so I've told the client I can be cheap, but don't expect me to be fast.

When the first sniff of money comes along, I'll buy LWCAD. What else should I consider? Is LW GI the right tool for the job? How important is it to buy libraries of furniture or loitering people? Is that sort of thing expensive?

I've got Polytrans with a CAD module. How are files usually given to you? How much work do you have to do on a CAD model after you get it into LW? Honestly, I don't even know if I'll get CAD models from this client. I may end up trying to decipher blueprints from a PDF.

How would you suggest I break into archviz?

If you get the cad file you might want to use AccuTrans 3D to "translate" the dxf files to LW.

due to my experience it s better to start from scratch cause it will blend better with background.

I have newer bought libraries, I usually model the furniture that I need and i don t like the idea of getting things done with no effort, and i like the idea of everything that is in project to be mine.

LW cad will save your time a lot and will make thing s simple.

Is it interior or exterior.

There are also very handy plugins that you might want to have, I like the DP sunsky.

I'm sure there is no need to remind of the very well known plugins Fprime, HD instance, e-on ozone etc..

good luck and have good time with arch viz stuff.

Titus
02-13-2009, 04:40 PM
LWcad is a must when modeling is boring, also Kray or Frayrender are a good addition to the archviz arsenal.

Nangleator
02-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks, all! And thanks Pete, for reassuring me about LW.

waly, I'd prefer to model things myself, too. But if the client's in a rush, it might make the difference between keeping the gig and giving it up. I may have to use a rendering service. I might have to look for help.

But I've got a full-time job, so if this gig gets too stressful, I'll probably recommend someone else.

I always have wanted to try, though. I really love good renders of that sort. Just never thought of adding an imaginary building to my portfolio.

tyrot
02-13-2009, 05:17 PM
dear nan

Pictrix plugins...SPmove, SPpolygon etc...I have started archviz modelling after Pictrix's SPMOVE..

and do not even try to render anything without HDInstance.....After using Hdinstance my income from 3D increased 3-4 times..

Best

Nicolas Jordan
02-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I have found a fairly simple free modeling plugin called speedy quad from a 3 plugin bundle called speedy tools. I wasn't able to track down the original plugin but I found one that does the same thing. It can be found here http://www.garagepost.tv/renderman.htm

Many times I found myself with only 3 points to define a polygonal plane with difficulty placing a fourth point. This plugin solves that perfectly. :thumbsup:

Iain
02-14-2009, 03:16 PM
If you're completely new to arch viz, I'd suggest browsing CGArchitect or Evermotion to get a feel for what's current and what will be expected of you.

I' also echo the strength of LW on it's own. Over the last 3 years or so, it's become much more capable at fast, high end rendering and it's always been a great modeller.

I find FPrime a total essential. Even if I don't use it for the final render.
Being able to change lighting and surfacing with radiosity calculating in near real time is a huge boon.

___mats___
02-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Kray

Titus
02-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I have found a fairly simple free modeling plugin called speedy quad from a 3 plugin bundle called speedy tools. I wasn't able to track down the original plugin but I found one that does the same thing. It can be found here http://www.garagepost.tv/renderman.htm

Many times I found myself with only 3 points to define a polygonal plane with difficulty placing a fourth point. This plugin solves that perfectly. :thumbsup:

You're welcome :). It's good to know this script is useful to someone besides me.