PDA

View Full Version : Computer Shopping

Captain Chaos
02-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Looking for a used computer on eBay, after which I'm going to upgrade my copy of Lightwave. Anything I need to look for in terms of hardware?

gerry_g
02-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Just make sure its an intel Mac preferably eight core/dual quad, anything else will be way too slow, don't buy an iMac the graphics cards aren't up to 3D specs and don't even think about a laptop.

Chilton
02-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Definitely an Intel Mac. We build and test LW on pretty much all currently available Mac hardware. Most of us use MacBooks and MacBook Pros. The new 15" and 17" versions have a badass video card, but it tends to burn through the battery.

The biggest problem we've had was a bug in the iMac's video card, which would do funky things like make things like the directional arrows in the OpenGL viewports appear to be gigantic. And the integrated video cards on the MacBook and MacMini tend to be easy to overpower. I haven't seen that problem on any of the MacBook Pros with their dedicated video cards though.

If you're going to be running LightWaveCORE on your new system, you'll want a dedicated graphics card, because it can really take advantage of it.

LightWave3D 9.6 is not as tightly coupled to the GPU though, so RAM will be your real ceiling. Load up on that.

Edit: And for your own sanity, make sure you install Leopard on it. Tiger had a number of problems that Apple fixed for Leopard.

-Chilton

dsol
02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
If you're going to be running LightWaveCORE on your new system, you'll want a dedicated graphics card, because it can really take advantage of it.

Heh - was that an actual wee sliver of information about CORE?

Mmm... so let speculation commence again :) Maybe we'll be seeing some GPGPU support in the final release (assuming OpenCL actually works in Snow Leopard and Windows 7)? Or just a thoroughly overhauled and updated openGL previewer - faster/prettier?

Enquiring minds want to know... but appreciate that such info may be subject to change and therefore can neither be confirmed nor denied at this point ;)

Chilton
02-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi dsol,

Mmm... so let speculation commence again :) Maybe we'll be seeing some GPGPU support in the final release (assuming OpenCL actually works in Snow Leopard and Windows 7)? Or just a thoroughly overhauled and updated openGL previewer - faster/prettier?

Nothing more than what we've already stated...

From the F.A.Q.:
"LightWave CORE™ is designed to leverage the modern computing landscape and beyond. It works great in 32-bit, and is a monster in 64-bit. It is fully multi-threaded, multi-processor and GPU aware."

-Chilton