PDA

View Full Version : 3DMAX to Lightwave 9.6

jaxtone
02-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Is there any appropriate program that are not too expensive that can convert an "intact" 3DMAX object with all itīs textures and UV-maps into a fully functional Lightwave 9.6. object?

Red_Oddity
02-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Is there any appropriate program that are not too expensive that can convert an "intact" 3DMAX object with all itīs textures and UV-maps into a fully functional Lightwave 9.6. object?

Only Max can save out another format as a Max file can contain history and modifier stack (with or without 3rd party modeling tools) that define the final object, so without that stack and those plugins you can't convert it (so you pretty much need 3DMax to do a conversion)

Try Max with PointOven or export as FBX or Collada.

jaxtone
02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Well this is pretty much simpler and I donīt think that the FBX and Collada export/import function is necessary, and by the way Lightwaves Collada importer sucks! This is just a simple model of a vehicle model with texture and UV maps originally made in 3DMAX! I just need to get this model converted from 3DMAX to a *.3ds-file so I can open it in Lightwave 9.6.

Do you mean itīs piece of cake for anyone with a 3DMAX license to convert this model into a *.3ds file so I can open that in Lightwave with all textures and UV-maps intact? Or canīt 3DMAX save or export to the *.3ds format?

Lorigosolo
02-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey Jaxtone,

Yes itīs a piece of cake to export a model from Max if you have a 3DMax License, as you can export a model in almost any format that you wish (Obj, 3ds, Dae, FBX, etc)! I use Max at work in my pipeline, we use Lightwave to model and make UVs, then we export an Obj so we can rig and animate the model in Max, after that we can export the animation and model to Collada (As you metioned, Collada support in LW is not as great as it should be, at least for now! ;) ).

So YES you can convert a *.MAX file using Max and have the UV-maps intact... the only thing you will have to do on your own is to apply by hand the texture maps to your materials.

ivanze
02-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I exported from max an object using .obj the other day and it came to LW with all the textures applied. Just asked me once where an image was and loaded all the others without problem

archijam
02-14-2009, 06:04 AM
.OBJ sounds like your option, a good all-round format. .3DS is tricky, since it triangulates all quads ...

Also, try accutrans in-between if you have any issues.

Wolvy_UK
02-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Can't you just download a 30 day demo of 3DMax and use that to convert the file ?

jaxtone
02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Youīre right in your humble opinion when mentioning the lousy Collada interface in Lightwave! I cannot be just as calm as you when mention this though I think itīs a scandal behavior that NT even mention the Collada as a functional part of Lightwave! And when you ask about it the answer is not as expected though they rather blame the other softwares on the planet!

One of the reasons I chosed to go any further with LW in my production was that many things sounded great in LW9. Unfortunally they were not!

If I cannot solve this problem Iīll give you an offer about converting the file in your MAX!

Hey Jaxtone,

Yes itīs a piece of cake to export a model from Max if you have a 3DMax License, as you can export a model in almost any format that you wish (Obj, 3ds, Dae, FBX, etc)! I use Max at work in my pipeline, we use Lightwave to model and make UVs, then we export an Obj so we can rig and animate the model in Max, after that we can export the animation and model to Collada (As you metioned, Collada support in LW is not as great as it should be, at least for now! ;) ).

So YES you can convert a *.MAX file using Max and have the UV-maps intact... the only thing you will have to do on your own is to apply by hand the texture maps to your materials.

jaxtone
02-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Damn! What you say reminds me of tricky situations in the past! Is it still so that all Quads are automatically converted into Triangles when you import a 3ds file into Lightwave?

I also have a memory about the OBJ thing! Doesnīt this optional OBJ import exclude all surface and texture information of the object and import it as one single surface instead of separated parts?

.OBJ sounds like your option, a good all-round format. .3DS is tricky, since it triangulates all quads ...

Also, try accutrans in-between if you have any issues.

jaxtone
02-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Didnīt know AD had this feature! Thanks for the advice!

Can't you just download a 30 day demo of 3DMax and use that to convert the file ?

Lorigosolo
02-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Hey Jaxtone,

Don't loose your faith on LW, it's a great software; it has several features that the competition don't, but it has some weak points that i hope they have tackled down in LWCore... or at least give Newtek the edge they need to be a competitive software and fight AD head to head!! Just wait and don't give up on Newtek! ;)

Yep, i think you should do what Wolvy_UK said... download a 30 day demo from AD and try to export your Max file to OBJ. If you can not solve the problem you can drop me a line and I will be glad to help you with the file conversion...

Lol... i know that LW's collada plugin well... sucks at the moment; but I hope that changes with the release of Core. Will have to wait and see what Core brings to the table!! Maybe i will be able to ditch Max from my pipeline when LWCore arrives!! :D

Cageman
02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
OBJ in LW9.6 is quite solid. I have transfered tons of objects from Maya to LW and all of them comes into LW with colours, textures, UVs and Vertex Normals (vertex normals is my favourite feature of the new OBJ importer/exporter).

The only bad thing that I've experienced is that some polys may be flipped upon import into Modeler. However, this, so far, has happened on very, very, very uggly structured meshes (triangulated and whatnot in Maya). If your mesh is a pure mesh, preferably quads, I see very little that would go wrong with using OBJ.

jaxtone
02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
I support anyone that picks up a fight with the monopolistic AD! Even if itīs just to spread the word about their eager business-style!

Hey Jaxtone,

Don't loose your faith on LW, it's a great software; it has several features that the competition don't, but it has some weak points that i hope they have tackled down in LWCore... or at least give Newtek the edge they need to be a competitive software and fight AD head to head!! Just wait and don't give up on Newtek! ;)

Yep, i think you should do what Wolvy_UK said... download a 30 day demo from AD and try to export your Max file to OBJ. If you can not solve the problem you can drop me a line and I will be glad to help you with the file conversion...

Lol... i know that LW's collada plugin well... sucks at the moment; but I hope that changes with the release of Core. Will have to wait and see what Core brings to the table!! Maybe i will be able to ditch Max from my pipeline when LWCore arrives!! :D

jaxtone
02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the info but I must aski if this means that 3DMAX obj export into Lightwave does exactly the same thing as with an obj export from MAYA to Lightwave?

OBJ in LW9.6 is quite solid. I have transfered tons of objects from Maya to LW and all of them comes into LW with colours, textures, UVs and Vertex Normals (vertex normals is my favourite feature of the new OBJ importer/exporter).

The only bad thing that I've experienced is that some polys may be flipped upon import into Modeler. However, this, so far, has happened on very, very, very uggly structured meshes (triangulated and whatnot in Maya). If your mesh is a pure mesh, preferably quads, I see very little that would go wrong with using OBJ.

Cageman
02-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info but I must aski if this means that 3DMAX obj export into Lightwave does exactly the same thing as with an obj export from MAYA to Lightwave?

If I would have known that answer, don't you think I would have said that then? :)

What I am trying to say is that, yes.. OBJ works very well between Maya and LW, and since AD owns both Max and Maya, it does add in favour of: yes...it will probably work the same way!

You should also have noticed that LW9.6 OBJ importer/exporter is vastly improved over any earlier version of LW. That fact alone should at least give you enough energy to try it, instead of basing your judgment on old experiences.

jaxtone
02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Questions need answers!

How would you expect me to know if there are any similarities between the MAYA and 3DMAX interfaces, I am a rookie and havenīt got a clue! If you do I am glad for that but I have actually only used these in old versions for a couple of months 8 years ago!

So whatīs so fantastic about the new import/export functions in LW if connecting this to my question in the first place! I couldnīt import the 3DMAX model at all. I coudnīt use the Collada interface properly! Especially the ****** up Collada import instability made me give up pretty early on this in LW 9 becuase that was one of the promised features I had put very much hope in. But as you just mentioned I am understandable just as many other users colored by old judgement and experiences... but hey now, I consider not to blame me or the users for LWīs tradition of having lousy import and export functions!

But thereīs always the OBJ function... yeah!

P.S. I am about to buy a bunch of 3D-models in 3DMAX format but will not do so before I know that there are frictionless and undisputed ways to convert them into the world of LW!

If I would have known that answer, don't you think I would have said that then? :)

What I am trying to say is that, yes.. OBJ works very well between Maya and LW, and since AD owns both Max and Maya, it does add in favour of: yes...it will probably work the same way!

You should also have noticed that LW9.6 OBJ importer/exporter is vastly improved over any earlier version of LW. That fact alone should at least give you enough energy to try it, instead of basing your judgment on old experiences.