PDA

View Full Version : Where is "preview options"??

Rami Laine
08-13-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm trying to make a small preview of an animation, and reading the manual it says there is a "preview options" under the "preview"-popup menu. I don't see it, there are only "make-", "play-", "free-", "load-" and "save preview". The save make- and save preview work, but the animation ends up enormous in size and totally unusable.

I also tried Viper, but it only gives me a gray screen everytime i do anything.

Uh. What's wrong? I use LW 7.5c on a Mac OSX.

Please help.

Thanks!
rami.

mlinde
08-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Well, I can't tell you how to make it work, but under the "Menus" configuration panel (Option - F10) there is a preview set, and in that set is Preview Options. I tried adding it as a button to one of my menu groups, but it didn't do anything so I can't help more than telling you where it is...

Rami Laine
08-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks. I found it, but like on your case, it doesn't do anything. Damn. Presentation tomorrow, and ... well you know the case.

Cheers,
rami.

toby
08-13-2003, 02:48 PM
As far as I know, preview options have never been available on the Mac.

If you want your preview to be smaller in resolution, re-size your windows thereby sizing the preview - if you want a smaller file size, you'll have to save your preview first, open it in Quicktime Pro and export it with the compression you want.

Rami Laine
08-13-2003, 02:50 PM
Oh, strange it isn't mentioned in the manual.. but thanks for the tip 'll try that.

Cheers,
rami.

drclare
08-16-2003, 01:10 PM
How suprizing, another feature that isn't available on the mac! And like Rami said, it wasn't mentioned in the manual. They can't even give us the courtesy of telling ahead of time that these features aren't availble on the mac. Instead we waste valuable time looking for them.

riki
08-16-2003, 08:26 PM
I remember asking this same question back in the old forums when I first started using Lightwave. It's good to see that some things never change :)

Rami Laine
08-17-2003, 04:20 AM
It seems like no ones asked it for a long time tho, since I tried searching forums and news groups, but found nothing on the subject.

Anyway, I tried the window resizing, and it worked quite ok. Altho I ended up rendering a very small animation with very little options on :).

Cheers,
rami.

riki
08-17-2003, 05:16 AM
You searched the *old* forum?

re: http://forums.newtek.com/discus/index.html

OnePerson
09-01-2003, 10:28 PM
I have been going over the manual and found this preview panel and used it. It could have saved me time not to mention the agrevation of rendering large scences that took hours.

Now I find a possible solution to do my work faster and get results more quickly to find out its not available to Mac users!!

Can NT answer if this will be something added to LW8?

Cheers!

One

Beamtracer
09-01-2003, 11:12 PM
I don't think it's that big a deal.

When using the "Make Preview" function, the frames are created using OpenGL, so it shouldn't make any difference (as in rendering times) whether your preview is big or small.

It really is only for a quick preview to check things before you hit the real F10 render button.

Meshbuilder
09-02-2003, 12:47 AM
If you didn't know you can find the OpenGL preview QT movie in your Lightwave/programs/ folder.

But it's sad thing that you can't change the videocodec, I think it is using animation kodec.

It would be really great if you could change the default QT video codec (like the PC version). If you are using Logic or ProTools you must rekompress your preview to a new kodec. If we could change it from the begining it would save us alot of time.

Please Newtek fix this little Mac problem in LightWave 3D [8].

riki
09-02-2003, 12:57 AM
A lot of folk have recommended just renderring out your animation as a series of images.