PDA

View Full Version : lightwave rotation order

eblu
02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi,
Lightwave uses the "now familiar" H,P,B rotation axes. But for a moment consider them as xyz...
H = Y
P = X
b = Z
implied by the way Lightwave presents the data, the Rotation order for LW is then:
YXZ.

most apps use a XYZ rotation order. different rotation orders result in different output. this is a problem.

I am in the process of trying to get object animation data from Lightwave to Aftereffects CS3, and the rotation order has made this process intensely difficult.

so I'm hoping for ideas here.
is LW capable of switching rotation order? (i do not believe 9.6 can, core may be able to, but we'll see)

does anyone have a handy conversion algorithm just laying around for making this leap? I'm sure there's math for this, I just do not yet know how to do it.

does anyone have any better ideas besides parenting Nulls specifically for single channels of rotation as a workaround?

newfan
10-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi,
Lightwave uses the "now familiar" H,P,B rotation axes. But for a moment consider them as xyz...
H = Y
P = X
b = Z
implied by the way Lightwave presents the data, the Rotation order for LW is then:
YXZ.

most apps use a XYZ rotation order. different rotation orders result in different output. this is a problem.

I am in the process of trying to get object animation data from Lightwave to Aftereffects CS3, and the rotation order has made this process intensely difficult.

so I'm hoping for ideas here.
is LW capable of switching rotation order? (i do not believe 9.6 can, core may be able to, but we'll see)

does anyone have a handy conversion algorithm just laying around for making this leap? I'm sure there's math for this, I just do not yet know how to do it.

does anyone have any better ideas besides parenting Nulls specifically for single channels of rotation as a workaround?

You can find source code here:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/developers.php

Look for the function called LWEUL_HPBtoXYZ.

Matt
10-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Maybe it's because I'm used to LW, but I find H,P,B easier to understand, X,Y,Z means translation to me. It's one of the things LW got right IMO.

It's one of the things I don't like in modo (the labelling, you can change the rotation order though)

Iaian7
11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Maybe it's because I'm used to LW, but I find H,P,B easier to understand, X,Y,Z means translation to me. It's one of the things LW got right IMO.

It's one of the things I don't like in modo (the labelling, you can change the rotation order though)

I agree - I prefer the H, P, B labeling and rotation order in LW. Always thought After Effects rotations were horrifically unusable; I can't even animate a simple camera path without building a gimbal system out of nulls! Maybe that has less to do with the rotation order in AE, and more to do with the preposterous 3D implementation. Ugh, it makes my skin crawl. :D Had to animate a minute and a half of camera moves the other week in AE; it was like pulling my own teeth. Repeatedly.

So is the AE order of rotation standard in other apps? It's been a long since I had to open Maya...

faulknermano
11-12-2009, 11:13 AM
FYI, in Maya lingo the rotation order of LW is not YXZ. It's ZXY.