PDA

View Full Version : Same surface, different object, different rendering?!

csquared63
02-12-2009, 08:53 AM
OK, I have two "building" surfaces that have the exact same texture applied to each, but I am getting different results when I render. What am I doing wrong? I LOVE LW and would classify myself as beginning-intermediate, but stuff like this drives me nuts because I don't know if it's me or the software.

See attached JPEG. The lower building is the texture I'm going for.

Thanks, Carl

Nangleator
02-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Looks like the upper surface has an additional bump layer of Grid. Or, one object or the other has been radically scaled.

Some of the reasons that a texture won't work well on a different object are...

Texture is influenced by weight maps
Objects are different scales
Textures are based on Reference Objects
UVs not correct on the new object.

Have another look.

csquared63
02-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Looks like the upper surface has an additional bump layer of Grid. Or, one object or the other has been radically scaled.

Some of the reasons that a texture won't work well on a different object are...

Texture is influenced by weight maps
Objects are different scales
Textures are based on Reference Objects
UVs not correct on the new object.

Have another look.

Thanks for the quick reply. They both have a bump layer of grid—They are using the same exact named texture and are in the same object layer (scaled very similarly).

See attached.

Nangleator
02-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Well, that's a puzzler.

I have to claim ignorance from this point forward, because I've never liked using Grid as a bump map.

Just a thought, if you were to replace that procedural with an image map, temporarily, to see if the scaling looks the same on both surfaces...

cagey5
02-12-2009, 11:06 AM
The thing with grid is its effect will differ depending on position. The fact that one building level is further back than the other can give this result. I'm willing to bet that if you brought both walls in line with each other, they would look the same.

World coordinates v local?

Nangleator
02-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Oh, of course! It's a 3D texture.

csquared63
02-12-2009, 11:30 AM
The thing with grid is its effect will differ depending on position. The fact that one building level is further back than the other can give this result. I'm willing to bet that if you brought both walls in line with each other, they would look the same.

World coordinates v local?

Oh, of course! It's a 3D texture.

Aha! Local coordinates. So the distance is affecting it. How do I adjust the texture for the top building then if I want it to be the same as the bottom? Image map would be one way because it's 2d, right? What if I wanted to use that 3D texture? How would I ACCURATELY account for distance? A lot of this feels like trial and error, but I guess the more you use it the more you learn what numbers to use.

Thanks guys.

Carl

cagey5
02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
That's going to be tricky. If they are both modelled on the same layer you would need to know with some degree of accuracy how far back one wall was from the other down one particular axis and then put in that same measurement as an adjustment on the position tab.

Image projection could be a whole lot easier, and as it's a bump map, a monochrome image would work better.

csquared63
02-12-2009, 11:39 AM
That's going to be tricky. If they are both modelled on the same layer you would need to know with some degree of accuracy how far back one wall was from the other down one particular axis and then put in that same measurement as an adjustment on the position tab.

Image projection could be a whole lot easier, but as it's a bump map, a monochrome image would work better.

A case of the right tools for the job. I'll try the monochrome image route. Thanks again.

-Carl