PDA

View Full Version : Disable Space Bar for Selection?

IMI
02-12-2009, 04:59 AM
I kind of doubt this is possible, but is there a hack or anything to disable point, poly and edge selection for the space bar in Modeler, while keeping the ability to drop the current tool?

If you go into the Configure Keys panel (Alt+F9 by default) you see the space bar is assigned to "Change Selection Mode", but unfortunately it's also assigned to drop the current tool. The problem is, I have 3 other keys assigned for points, polys and edges, and I'd like the space bar to do nothing but drop a tool and not change my selection mode. Some tools don't need to be dropped, such as one I use quite a bit, Set Value. Out of habit, after I use it, I hit space bar, since I've gotten in the habit of hitting Space every time I'm finished doing something, so then I end up in a different mode than what I want to be in.
This has been aggravating me for a long time... :bangwall:

The Return key is (by default) mapped to "Deselect Tool", and does exactly that. So I can unassign the Space Bar entirely and hit Enter to drop a tool, but then I'd have to lose the Space Bar habit built up over years of using Modeler.

All I want is for the Space Bar to drop a tool and do nothing else at all, least of all even so much as think about changing my selection mode. Is it at all possible?

Thanks. :)

Lewis
02-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Easiest way would be to broke/rip off Space Bar key until you stop pushing it :D :D.

I know what you mean and my fingers are automatically pressing space bar also but I've assigned Drop Selection and Drop tool to my Thumb mouse buttons so I'm used to this workflow but i can imagine oyu are frustrated if you use other keys for changing selection modes :(.

IMI
02-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Hey thanks for the reply Lewis. :)
But better yet, thanks for the suggestion! No, I don't mean about ripping the space bar off my keyboard. ;)
But I hadn't even thought about assigning a key to one of my mouse thumb buttons, and I think doing that will be a happy in-between. I can disable the space bar and assign a mouse button to the return key and just get used to that rather than have to reach over for the keyboard return or Enter key. I think that will work.

Lewis
02-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Good to hear that :).

I have assigned all 5 (beside native 3) programmable buttons on my Logitech MX 510/518. It's really fast to work in modeler when i gave thumb at drop tool/drop selection and 3 top small buttons set to various shading modes (texture wire, texture and wireframe) which helps a lot in modeling since you don't have to go to pull down and change mode to select some points/polys or so :).

cheers

IMI
02-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Yeah it's nice that we can come up with these workarounds, and cool that LW has so many available assignable key combinations. :)

I have the bottom left three programmable keys of my Logitech G11 keyboard assigned to points, edges and polys from left to right, just as they appear at the bottom of Modeler. The cool thing about that is I can have my hand on those keys and still easily reach ctrl, shift and alt for navigation and other key combinations.
So now as you suggested, I have two of my Logitech MX Revolution mouse thumb buttons assigned to drop tool and drop selection. Works like a charm and very easy to get used to, thanks again for the great idea. :)

Lewis
02-12-2009, 07:03 AM
:), another Shortcut happy user :D.