PDA

View Full Version : Maya curves to LW

Ckeri
02-12-2009, 03:05 AM
I got file from client. It's Maya file containing some polygons, but mostly Maya curves (NURBS?). Is there any way to get those curves to Lightwave?

Tried FBX, but lightwave importer doesn't load those curves, only polygons. Also OBJ doesn't seem to work.

Or do I have to convert those curves to some other shape first with Maya and then export them?

Thanks,

Giacomo99
02-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Exactly what format is it in (i.e, what's the extension?) There are third-party apps that handle this sort of thing pretty well. If you don't have access to such a program, ask around online to see if someone can do the conversion for you.

Ckeri
02-12-2009, 08:04 AM
It's Maya binary, extension is .mb.

Can you be more specific what softaware can convert these curves to LW?

Giacomo99
02-12-2009, 08:19 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=converting+Maya++MB+files+to+other+formats&btnG=Search

Ckeri
02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Ok, thanks.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post. Like I said I can get polygons converted with no problems with Deep Exploration, but not curves. Or am I missing something here?

Giacomo99
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Oh. Not sure what to do in that case. I suspect the solution will lie in exporting the curves from Maya in some viable form, or (it sounds horrible and tedious, but I've actually done this) building a simple model in Maya with the curves (i.e, extruding them a little to make surface forms) so that will export successfully, and then re-derive the curves in the destination app. (for example, by picking points and making a spline from them in Lightwave.) This assumes that such an approach is feasible for your particular project, which it may not be.

I actually feel your pain—for some reason, 3D file formats just don't like to read each other's curves. I've experienced similar problems in many different apps.

Ckeri
02-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the tip. I extruded all curves just a little to get some polygons and they exported just fine. Of course this doesn't work if you want to use those curves to build model, but since they're just for reference this trick does the job.

Thanks again.