PDA

View Full Version : What I like about NewTek.

GandB
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
In the midst of all the "Core" circus; I thought I'd try to put up something positive. :thumbsup:

What's everyone's best experience with NewTek been?

When I first came on board, I was trying to get a copy of the LW demo (many of us remember how difficult it was to locate it). The unfortunate thing was that I was trying to do this while NT was at Siggraph that year; which caused my request to fall be the wayside. After a flurry of posts in a thread I made (and some communications with Zane...who is a great customer rep); Jay came on and explained to me that my experience was not the norm. I was then taken care of in a very unexpected (and pleasant) way. To reciprocate, I bought an upgrade to v9...without reservation.

As a result; I tend to give NT more of a benefit of the doubt than any other I deal with (though I have current reservations, and await further word like everyone else on the next "evolution").

So; while we wait to see what NT and crew come up with, as far as questions put forward....what's everyone else's best experience with the guys (and gals) at NewTek? :newtek:

-Keith

*Pete*
02-11-2009, 11:52 AM
nothing as personal as yours...i have followed NT and LW since 1995, but a real and true eyeopener to what NT truly is, was during the 9.X series and the beta sessions.

they always managed to give the impression that they truly care for your views and opinions, its not just what we got or didnt get during the 9.X cycle, it is that NT really gave their best shot at serving us in the best possible way...

they never give the feeling that you are getting screwed (as some other companies do, lets not name any names now *points discreetly at autodesk*).

ncr100
02-11-2009, 12:04 PM
NT does seem to prioritize customers very high on their list of important things to do.

OnlineRender
02-11-2009, 12:07 PM
they have too without us there is no them

mpiper
02-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Actually, no, they don't HAVE to place us high on their priority list. There are tons of companies out there who talk a great game, but suck as far as customer service.

But the fact is they seem to always place customer service very high. I called their tech support with a serious graphics card problem (Version 7.5 I think) and they followed up with an email with specific directions to resolve my problem, and then followed up to make sure it worked.

I bought from a 3rd party and when I switched a parallel dongle to a USB, the switch was handled very smoothly and simply. I live in San Antonio, so when I called, they simply said to stop by and save the delay of mailing back and forth. my current employer bought three seats based on my recommendation (one from a different third party and two direct from Newtek). Never at any time have I had any "hold" time or problems when I needed to ask a question.

Now if only they would have a few more todbits out for CORE.:D

bobakabob
02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
But the fact is they seem to always place customer service very high. I called their tech support with a serious graphics card problem (Version 7.5 I think) and they followed up with an email with specific directions to resolve my problem, and then followed up to make sure it worked.

I had the same problem and support was first rate. :dito:

jcupp
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I've been a NewTek customer and dealer since 1991 and from what I've seen over the years above-and-beyond customer service is the norm at NewTek.:thumbsup:

Stooch
02-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I like the hand cut pieces of paper stuffed into an office depot cd case along with a CD arriving in a brown paper bag when i ordered lw9. I knew off the bat where they are NOT spending their money lol.

Matt
02-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Oh, where to begin! :)

I've never had a situation where I've had a major problem that they sorted, as everything has always gone without a hitch.

Oh, when I upgraded my OS to Vista64, Ben Vost did sort out my 64 Bit license code within minutes of me Skyping him when I asked him what I needed to do! (Ben is such a top guy!)

And how I can I forget the hours upon hours of fantastic tutorials made by William Vaughan, the man just loves to give, I've learnt soooo much from him.

Not necessarily NewTek, but I must shout out to the LightWave community. The most friendly, helpful and generous people I have ever met, seriously, great, great people.

But NewTek are one of the most friendly companies I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. In fact, it's easy to forget they are a company sometimes, I see them more as friends who happen to make some software I love to use!

:)

splitpoint
02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I have to say I like the liberal upgrade policy. I went from Amiga v4.0 to SGI v5.6 to 7.x, 8.x and 9.x on Windows. 9.x upgrade was free. Each time the price was very reasonable and there was no problem going cross-platform and it was nice to be able to skip versions without being penalized.

3DeeNut
02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Honestly, they are one of the best customer oriented companies ive run into. They remind me of "Bose" who also have incredible customer service. In all fairness its one of the most important things to me when buying a product... I will eat at a restaurant that has decent food so long as the owners are nice, pleasant and service me. The same holds true for NT, except their products (especially given the fair price of the product) are nothing short of amazing. I doubt ill shop elsewhere. Price, Quality and Serivice all in 2 three letter words... New Tek!

Love you guys! Ill be hard coring it real soon!

wp_capozzi
02-11-2009, 09:23 PM
My experience since about 1993 has been that Newtek is essentially made up of decent people, not sequestered away in an intangible business bureaucracy. Some of my favorite interactions with Newtek people have been at various Siggraph events. Namely, the party on the river boat in New Orleans in 1996, and at the race track place in Boston in 2006. When you get a chance to shake hands and chat with any of them, you get to see things on a different level. I'm at least 15 years thankful that Newtek has created affordable, professional, progressive 3D software, and followed it up with great support.

-Bill C.

Magnetix
02-11-2009, 09:35 PM
I some times think there the only honest business left in America. Thanks for 9.6 and as soon as I find $395.00 I will support you again, you have proven all I need to now with your effort on 9.6. Thanks!

DAV-3
02-11-2009, 09:41 PM
I am fairly new to NewTek, bought a TC Broadcast several months ago. We had some problems that we didn't get right until our second replacement arrived. Yes it was inconveinent, but NewTek stayed involved until we got it right. And yes, they are obligated to do that, but it was the way they did it, without question and with full support. As a customer, they showed me they stand behind their product AND their clients, and have paved the road for a long-time business relationship. Kudos to the company and the support crew!

GandB
02-11-2009, 09:48 PM
It's good to hear the positive; after all the recent complaints (myself included). I'm still going to wait for the big "C" to go "live" (whatever that means ;)); but I may purchase it in the end...if only to support one of the only companies left who seem to give a damn about customers as individuals.

Keep them coming. :)

-Keith

Stooch
02-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Honestly, they are one of the best customer oriented companies ive run into. They remind me of "Bose" who also have incredible customer service.

uhhh.... you are aware that bose makes some of the ****tiest performing products for the money right? all of the money that you overpay goes directly to marketing while the product is utter crap.

Darth Mole
02-12-2009, 02:04 AM
I have to give a big shout-out for Chilton Webb on the Mac side, for 1) actually coding the UB version of LW, 2) for being a regular and fun participant of the Mac forums and 3) taking time to reply personally to the nonsense I keep sending him (I put him in touch with the guys at E-on and within weeks Vu xStream now works on Mac!). I'd like to buy the man a beer.

akademus
02-16-2009, 03:52 AM
I just adore the fact they never let Lightwave go. It never changed owner and I truly hope it will remain under Newtek's roof for at least another 20 years.

shrox
02-16-2009, 05:04 AM
I can say the LW forums literally saved my life!

mav3rick
02-16-2009, 05:39 AM
u r drug addict ? :)
if so glad we helped you out

shrox
02-16-2009, 06:54 AM
u r drug addict ?...

No. Several events came together in a perfect storm of economic ruin in my life. Many that post here sent me help in the forms of money, good wishes and job leads. I can never repay that. All I can do is pay forward.

akademus
02-16-2009, 07:09 AM
he is LW addict :D

shrox
02-16-2009, 07:12 AM
he is LW addict :D

Yes, I spent some time at the Raytrace Clinic and Polygonal/Spline Recovery Center.

GandB
02-16-2009, 07:16 AM
How is your situation now, Shrox? :caffeine:

shrox
02-16-2009, 07:49 AM
How is your situation now, Shrox? :caffeine:

I am now CGI director at House of Fear studios in Redruth, Cornwall, UK. From the gutter to the penthouse in one week. Well, not the penthouse, but an office and a job!

dsol
02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
I have to give a big shout-out for Chilton Webb on the Mac side.

Yup, gotta agree with this. Chilton is indeed a top banana! I dunno for sure how many Mac engineers are working for NT, but it does seem like since he came on board the OSX version has come along in leaps and bounds. It's as stable as the windows version now - thank god! (and Chilton!)

GandB
02-16-2009, 08:19 AM
That's good to hear, Shrox!

GandB
02-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Anybody else?

praa
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
one good thing about newtek

they are not listed on any stock market

being a privately owned company they don't have to invent quarterly software update$ to boost their revenue (like AutoDesk)

and not being tradable they are less likely to be destroyed like softimage
:newtek::thumbsup:

flakester
02-26-2009, 08:30 AM
~ And how I can I forget the hours upon hours of fantastic tutorials made by William Vaughan, the man just loves to give, I've learnt soooo much from him.

Not necessarily NewTek, but I must shout out to the LightWave community. The most friendly, helpful and generous people I have ever met, seriously, great, great people. ~

Here here! :thumbsup:
Two of the things that have helped to swell my LW knowledge, skills.... and enjoyment. Well said Matt.

--
flakester.

*Pete*
02-26-2009, 08:34 AM
one good thing about newtek

they are not listed on any stock market

being a privately owned company they don't have to invent quarterly software update$ to boost their revenue (like AutoDesk)

and not being tradable they are less likely to be destroyed like softimage
:newtek::thumbsup:

intresting point, and true too...Autodesk empire cant take over NT by buying its stocks, never thought about that.

Earl
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
I like that NewTek is very accessible. They read their forums, even on their own personal time, and they respond (and always in a professional manner). I actually feel like they are run by humans rather than corporate machines. I can't stand dealing with companies like Adobe and Microsoft. Even many smaller companies still have that big company feel (e-on is right here in my home town of Beaverton!, yet getting a reply from them can be impossible).