PDA

View Full Version : PIZAZZ, vanderwielen, kltv, jcupp - HELP! Need X-Keys assistance

D3Cast
02-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I know you have all done some work with X-Keys devices in the past -- I just need some help getting going.

I am having a bear of a time mapping the key combos for Kris' scoreboards under VT[5.2] to an X-Keys Jog/Shuttle Device (sometimes referred to as the "Editor'). (NOTE: I'm not really planning on using the jog/shuttle wheel for much; just needed a bunch of buttons and got a good deal on this one on eBay.) As further background, I've quite successfully programmed a ShuttlePro in the past to trigger many of Kris' functions, so I'm quite familiar with the key combos that exist as shortcuts at the end of each Initialization.ToasterScriptfile for each of Kris' skins.

As some who reads and writes a decent amount of technical documentation, the docs on the P.I. Engineering site are, frankly, bewildering. SPLAT mode, HID mode, hardware mode, etc. -- it's all pretty confusing.

I know several of you -- and maybe even some folks not called out in the thread title! -- have gone down this road before. I need to know how I can get this working reliably. I understand that may mean changing some of the defined shortcuts (although they all still work from the keyboard with the X-Keys unplugged). I'm close on some things -- for example, if I define only "{Ctrl + <Applications> + <Insert>}" as an X-Key and use only that one, I can reliably turn on and off the clock. But when I start to use the shortcuts that use the NumPad keys, things begin to go haywire. (I can describe 'haywire' in greater detail if need be.)

Anyone (or ones) who can provide a quick tutorial, including things like "do or don't use the MacroWorks II software, and put your device in 'SPLAT mode' for this task", key combos to use or stay away from, examples of your keys, would be providing a huge service to me and anyone else who tries to use X-Keys.

Many, many thanks in advance.

-steve

kltv
02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I'd check and make sure that NumLock is on for one thing... I think that's caused me some problems in the past.

I've definitely done that mapping to an Xkeys in the past, including NumPad functions. So it is possible. I don't use the Macro software they are showing on the website. I use something else to program them in hardware mode so that everything is stored in memory on the device. I'll dig up that little app when I get home. It's annoying but it works. I seem to remember having problems with their Macro software online.

Kris

kltv
02-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Here's the utility I use. It isn't as fancy as the MacroRecorder, but it seems to work. Usually what I do is run this exe and then clear and reprogram each key. It starts with "0" in the upper left and moves down each column and then back up to the top. I'm not sure how it deals with the jog/shuttle in this app. Basically, you set each macro, the hit "Write to Device" and wait for some blinking, then hit the "Go To Hardware Mode" and it reboots the Xkeys. Then you should be good to go.

I hope that helps!
Kris

D3Cast
02-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks so much for your help, Kris. My device is older, and doesn't have what they call the "MWII firmware", so I couldn't use that app you posted, but I think I discovered the issue. (It's about 25 hours of my life that I won't get back, but such is technology and stubborness.)

I was using Macro Recorder to program the keys, and I noticed something odd whenever I saved the key and went back in to look at the macro. When I created the macro, it looked like this (paraphrasing):

App Key Down
Ctrl Key Down
NumPad 7 Down
NumPad 7 Up
Ctrl Key Up
App Key Up

But when I saved it and went back in to look at it, it looked like this:

OEM Key 102 Down
Ctrl Key Down
NumPad 7 Down
NumPad 7 Up
Ctrl Key Up
OEM Key 102 Up

Odd, I thought. Finally, by looking at Macro Recorder's saved .xkp files, and at this grid (PDF) (http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/1/161ba512-40e2-4cc9-843a-923143f3456c/translate.pdf), I finally managed to figure out that Macro Recorder was saving the wrong "HID Usage ID" (at least that's what it's called in the Microsoft PDF) for the Apps key -- it was writing "64" to the .xkp file, instead of the correct "65".

So I programmed a few keys, saved the layout, then went into the .xkp file, changed all the "64"s to "65"s, went back in, loaded the .xkp file, wrote it to the device, and bang! Worked like a charm. (At least for three keys I had time to program.)

So it was ugly, but I think I've got it working now. So for anyone who has or buys an old X-Keys device, and can't get it working in a scenario where you need the "Apps" key, that may be your issue.

-steve

kltv
02-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Glad you figured it out! Sounds like a pain...

Kris