PDA

View Full Version : OSX UB 64 bit status?



3dworks
02-10-2009, 11:56 AM
please can we get some information about the development status for the mac UB 64 bit version of LW 9.6? personally i'm now quite frustrated, because even if 9.6 is such a good release on mac, in the end of the day for most of my works i have to switch over to my windows xp64 installation on the bootcamp sides of my macs, because the 32 bit version simply will give me an out of memory problem. i wonder when this situation will end?

sorry for hammering again on this issue, but it's a serious one imo. :hammer:

cheers

markus

Kuzey
02-10-2009, 01:46 PM
From what I can gather from the other thread, a bit further down from this one, is that it will come....first to Hardcore members and later on to the rest.

I wouldn't expect this to be an overnight kinda thing, because the fact they are still developing 9.6 while working on the Core...will, probably mean it'll be months away from release. At least until the Core becomes more stable and usable...just a guess.

Kuzey

3dworks
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
From what I can gather from the other thread, a bit further down from this one, is that it will come....first to Hardcore members and later on to the rest.

I wouldn't expect this to be an overnight kinda thing, because the fact they are still developing 9.6 while working on the Core...will, probably mean it'll be months away from release. At least until the Core becomes more stable and usable...just a guess.

Kuzey

yes, that's what we all know already - what i'm asking here is some statement (chilton?, jay?) about what is to come for us mac pro users. it's nearly mid february 2009, we are talking about that 64 bit version for how many months now? we should not forget that from a production point of view we will be using LW 9.6.x for at least another year - i doubt that core will become production ready before that period -, so the sooner we get that version, the better.

another point is that maybe, after another longer delay, plugin developers will not care anymore to port even the most important plugins to UB64, because the focus will all be on developments for the new core. think about worley's fprime, HDI, LWCAD, dponts free gems and also some few others. this is a scary perspective imo.

cheers

markus

dsol
02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Personally I think it's pretty unlikely we'll be seeing any 64bit plugins for mac LW9.6 UB64 - Or certainly not the major ones - like Fprime. Realistically, If I was a plugin developer, then it would hardly seem worth the time and money to port a plugin to a platform that will likely be obsolete within 12 months, when CORE ships.

Harsh, I know. Blame Apple for dumping their planned support for 64bit Carbon in Leopard if it makes you feel better. Or run the 64bit PC version on windows using bootcamp.

EDIT: Just to clarify - the 64bit version of Mac Lightwave will be a very different beast to the 32bit version. All (or most of) the UI code has to be ported to Objective-C/Cocoa from the original C++/Carbon. This might mean additional headaches for plugin developers beyond a simple recompile. Of course if any coders/developers want to chime in to correct me....

Kuzey
02-10-2009, 04:59 PM
yes, that's what we all know already - what i'm asking here is some statement (chilton?, jay?) about what is to come for us mac pro users. it's nearly mid february 2009, we are talking about that 64 bit version for how many months now? we should not forget that from a production point of view we will be using LW 9.6.x for at least another year - i doubt that core will become production ready before that period -, so the sooner we get that version, the better.

another point is that maybe, after another longer delay, plugin developers will not care anymore to port even the most important plugins to UB64, because the focus will all be on developments for the new core. think about worley's fprime, HDI, LWCAD, dponts free gems and also some few others. this is a scary perspective imo.

cheers

markus

I think Chilton has said as much as he can. So...that would be Jay who needs to step up and make things clear...or let Chilton know what the plan is, so he can pass it on to the rest of us :D

As for the 3rd party plugins, who knows...maybe it's easy to strip the Mac component from the Core's 3 platform plugin system and use it in LW9.6. Or, they might only need to recompile the plugins without changing the code in Xcode. Otherwise, I don't think people would be making plugins for the 64bit version when they can work on the Core version...if there is a major difference between the two.


Kuzey

kfinla
02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm kinda confused lately about the difference between the 32-bit UB 9.6 and 32-bit CFM.. I thought the UB version was cocoa? or is it just some parts.. and the FULL top to bottom cocoa version will be the 64 bit 9.6.. and Core versions.. I know it runs faster. Im just confused about the composition of the UB 9.6 code now with the core announcement the "first cocoa version" of LW will appear. I'm hoping this means possibly .plugins may work in LW 10.

Limbus
02-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Some update on the Mac 64 Bit Version would be very welcome.

Cheers, Florian

Haven1000
02-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Some clarity, or even a hint at a road map for the UB64 LW would be greatly appreciated.

This to me is beginning to feel like ground hog day. We had to wait what felt like an eternity to see the existence of a Universal Binary Lightwave, and ultimately an application which was on par with the windows versions, my memory is a bit hazy but I think it was around a year between the two release and many promises along the way.

As somebody who is unsure of whether I'm going to stick with LW through another impending bumpy LW Mac ride, a firm answer to when the 64bit version is going to drop (if ever!) would go a long way to making a decision for myself.

Stuart

Otterman
02-11-2009, 02:56 AM
As somebody who is unsure of whether I'm going to stick with LW through another impending bumpy LW Mac ride, a firm answer to when the 64bit version is going to drop (if ever!) would go a long way to making a decision for myself.

Stuart

Ditto! Ive said this before in the other thread but im needing 64bit right now! Im fed up of having to resort to workarounds...its counter productive and a really ballache with my tight deadlines. Bottom line is i might have to look at an alternative very soon if newtek isnt going to deliver.

Im watching this space very closely-my career depends on it!

3dworks
02-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Ditto! Ive said this before in the other thread but im needing 64bit right now! Im fed up of having to resort to workarounds...its counter productive and a really ballache with my tight deadlines. Bottom line is i might have to look at an alternative very soon if newtek isnt going to deliver.

Im watching this space very closely-my career depends on it!

exactly my points. LW is my preferred tool, but not at every cost. the switch to windows in between most bigger projects is a real workflow stopper. when my macs are booted under windows, i can't use for example adobe software (at least if you own just mac licenses like me). sure the work in LW itself is not a big trick under windows, but as that OS is not my day-by-day platform, working efficiency for all processes outside lightwave (even file management etc) is much reduced. i am not willing to move completely to the windows platform just for lightwave, because all my other tools work in an excellent way under OSX.

clearly, over a long time the situation as it is isn't a professionally viable one, so it could mean also to drop LW as an app. of course this would be the last step, but probably i'm not willing to wait another 6 months for a working 64 bit version on OSX.

i'm not posting here to 'whine' about the missing 64 bit version, but just to illustrate how exactly this situation is.

cheers

markus

3dworks
02-11-2009, 04:34 AM
ok, finally i found a post here http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=826402&postcount=30 right now in this big threads jungle with 1000s of 'core' posts which explains it pretty well... thanks!

markus

dsol
02-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Hmmm... well I suppose we'll know within a couple of weeks what's going to happen - in terms of product timelines.

Basically, when we (or rather the hardCORE members) get our hands on the beta of CORE - we can see what state it's in, and likely how far we have to go 'til we have a solid shipping product. If development is fairly advanced, then NT may not prioritise the 9.6 UB64/Cocoa update. Ironically, any problems with the development of CORE might encourage them focus on doing the UB64 as an interim fix to keep users happy.

Personally though, I hope that CORE is off to a good start when the beta's released. Not just because I want to play with the newest shiniest thing, but because ultimiately - it's the future. All the info that's available right now tells me that in every way possible, the right design decisions have been made for LW CORE (because they're exactly the same decisions I would have taken!). I think it has the potential to be a true "break out" product for NT - and give Autodesk a serious headache. It's vital for the future of Newtek (or at least their 3D division) that it happens as soon as possible. And hopefully without turning into an XSIv1.0-style mess.

Fingers crossed!

But yeah, going back to the 9.6/Cocoa thread - hopefully we'll get it soon. But don't hold your breath for major commercial plugins being updated to that format. But I think I said that already ;) The Cocoa port isn't in beta at this stage, so it's pretty much impossible to say how difficult it is to port OSX UB32(Carbon) plugins to UB64(Cocoa). If it's a plugin with a minimal interface, it may not be so painful. It's all conjecture on my part. Maybe a LW plugin developer (Lightwolf?) can chime in? Of course, they may be in the same position as me - waiting to see what CORE is like - before making any plans.

hdace
02-11-2009, 04:24 PM
we are talking about that 64 bit version for how many months now?

MONTHS? I've been begging for this since 2006.