PDA

View Full Version : Content Directory... Where to put it?

Chrizto
02-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I've read diverse opinions on this.
By default the Content directory is placed in the [installation path]/Content

Inside, I see Scenes, Objects etc.
Some suggest setting your Content directory to your local home folder, as in a sub-folder of your user folder, as in [userdir]/Lightwave/Content

This seems reasonable to me, as it is a user controlled directory and all.
What I have ended up doing is to copy all the content from the original Content directory over to the user defined as mentioned above, and set the Content directory to point to this in LW config.

I hoped that by doing this, the default folder for saving Objects and Scenes would pop up to reflect my changes, as in new objects from Modeler in /Objects, scenes from Layout in /Scenes etc, and it does that now.

But. Is this the "right" way of doing things, or am I missing a point somewhere? Could I just delete the default Content directory (taking up 1,3GB of scenes and example files)

Besides, if I want to start a project from scratch, wouldn't it be wise to assign a separate content directory for this? With its own Objects, Scenes etc folders?

Is there a way to get this "auto populated" with the correct folder structure, as in Maya, when you choose new project, and "use defaults"?

With metta:
Chris

kopperdrake
02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
I have a content directory for each project I have on the go - usually labelled something like MOGS001TheProject, so I have my client's abbreviation, project number for them, and project title, all in one go - that also links up with invoices and so on. In that folder I have the usual folders needed by LW - objects, scenes, images and so on - there's the option to have these folders created in LightWave in Layout's Preferences window in the Paths tab - just choose the content directory for the current project, then hit 'Create Directories'.

When the project is done the entire folder is backed up...twice...onsite and offsite.

It's a clean and easy way of handling files I find :) And I usually remember if I've built a resource for a particular project, and this way it's easy to go in and browse to the old resource I want to reuse, copy it and paste it into the new project folder - to adapt and reuse.

I just leave the default content directory in LW's folder in case I need to get at anything in it, but I rarely venture in there to be honest.

Chrizto
02-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Sounds like a nice way to work. Think I'll adapt that.
But there is no automation in LW to create the basic folders? Objects, Scenes etc?

I wish those would be created "automagically" when I use "set content directory". Guess that could be easily scripted, if it doesn't exist a plugin or something.

Giacomo99
02-10-2009, 12:41 PM
What kopperdrake said.

There's no automation in LW to create the basic folders. What I did (a few years ago) was just make a generic folder named "Lightwave Folder"—with three folders inside named "Scenes," Images," and "Objects"—which I just copy-drag to the appropriate location whenever I start a Lightwave project. In the "Scenes" folder is an empty scene named "Empty LW Scene." When I double-click "Empty LW Scene" to open it, Lightwave automatically sets the directories to the correct folders and I'm ready to go.

(Note: I'm on a Mac. It might be different for PC users.)

RollerJesus
02-10-2009, 12:43 PM
If you go into Layout and open the options panel, there is a command to create the content directory structure.

JeffrySG
02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Sounds like a nice way to work. Think I'll adapt that.
But there is no automation in LW to create the basic folders? Objects, Scenes etc?

I wish those would be created "automagically" when I use "set content directory". Guess that could be easily scripted, if it doesn't exist a plugin or something.

Yes, Layout will create all of the folders for you, but modeler will not. See screen shot. Just hit the create directories button and it will create them all in the directory you have selected.

I use the content folder per project also. And to be honest, I just have a folder that I copy for each job that only has the folders that I need in the content directory as well as a few others as well. I just copy it into my job folder at the start of the job.

http://i39.tinypic.com/6faw48.png

kopperdrake
02-10-2009, 01:13 PM
And to be honest, I just have a folder that I copy for each job that only has the folders that I need in the content directory as well as a few others as well. I just copy it into my job folder at the start of the job.

I do the same too tbh - I've been in that habit since the year dot and the automatic system creates loads of folders I don't need.

Plus I also create folders called 'renders' and 'comps' rather than rely on just the 'animations' folder created the automatic way.

pdp editor
02-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I have one note that must be mentioned: dont use any folders that the OS system creates to store files you cant live without. more than a few years ago my entire storage system was centered around every folder that started with the word "MY" ie
my pictures, my programs, my documents. then one sunny day my hard drive ate itself and all those OS create folders went away; want to talk about heartache. Since then I dont use any folders on the "C" drive for storage of any of my creative work. This way if my OS crashes I lose nothing other than programs and a few hours fixing things as I like them.

Chrizto
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for your replies!

I've just started using LW, so I haven't even tried starting a project from Layout...:foreheads

Knew there had to be some way to do this, without using the "manual" method. I guess, after a while these things are pure routine tasks, so having a directory "pre-built", and just copying it makes more sense if you know you're gonna add more than just the defaults...

I bought LW a while back, but then got the idea to use Max, then C4D, then it was XSI and Maya! Think I must be schizophrenic or something. :santa:

Being a student, I've bought every major 3D app there is out there... Even Houdini Apprentice HD and Modo 302, when I think about it! 8~

But, now I've made my decision (again), so I hope it sticks this time.
LW was the first 3D application I tried many years ago, but I've been doing totally different things meanwhile.

My conclusion being:
1. I don't like monopoly, so no :2guns:Autodesk
2. Houdini is great, but, man it's complex!
3. C4D, well, it's very nice, but for equal functionality as I get with LW I have to pay 3500$ for a commercial license, so, bye-bye Maxon:hammer:
4. Modo is a bit "strange" to me. Doesn't work well with my brain's circuitry

So, because I know I'm gonna need a commercial license of whatever application I choose, I take the one with batteries included, thats not governed by "The Alliance".:alien:

Giacomo99
02-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, Layout will create all of the folders for you...

Pretty cool! I never knew about that before!

paulhart
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Last point that was obliquely referenced... It is good practice to have your program files on your main (working) drive, and a separate drive (or partition, but not as good) for all data. I have a second backup drive for each of these two items, with simple batch files on the desktop that run a quick script to make updated copies of both, separately as needed. Having "crashed & burned" more than once (Murphy... stay away) I have adapted a strategy of multiple backups, and my life has been better for it. Work for a period of time, run the batch file, move along... I have done both the "copy pre-existing folder" and the Lightwave tool. Both work fine.
Paul

Chrizto
02-11-2009, 02:42 AM
Sounds like you could need a directory synchronization tool...
They are free for most OS'es you know... You can set it up to update on full saves, or incremental differences as shadow copies.

Just so you don't have to run the batch files all the time!
:hey:

Korvar
02-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes, Layout will create all of the folders for you, but modeler will not.

Thanks very much for that! Can't believe I didn't spot it before!

monfoodoo
02-12-2009, 04:12 PM
i've always made my content on a external drive.do not keep your work files in the pc,in case of a crash.But do back up your backup.

Chrizto
02-12-2009, 04:17 PM
FileHamster takes care of most backup needs when working in LW.

monfoodoo
02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Just installed File Master.I just had my c drive wiped after a crash and am now refiguring my plugins.What a pain.File master is perfect for this operation.

paulhart
02-12-2009, 11:10 PM
There are a variety of solutions, however, experience has taught me that I want to have control over when I do my sync/backup, having tried other solutions. This is just for all the data. For my system backup, I have shifted some time ago to Acronis. As I shared on other threads on other forums, it allowed me to backup a RAID system, dissemble the RAID, restore the entire system programs files to a single drive, and have it then work, something my "tech guy" told me wouldn't work. I now use it to backup a WinXPro dual boot with UbuntuStudio64 to a separate drive on a remote station. I have done a complete restore once with this setup, worked flawlessly. Good luck everybody, I have never complained about too many backups, only the opposite. Check Acronis for system drives, solid piece of kit....
Paul

Chrizto
02-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Acronis is absolutely worthy the mention.
I simply use FileHamster, because:

1. I'm on a Windows machine
2. It keeps revisions of your files even between saves if you want.
3. It backs up to both my external (off site via sftp) and external (at site) continuously
4. It has a clean tree view interface.
5. It runs in the background without any interruption, except in the case of errors
6. The advanced version costs next to nothing

I don't want to start an app vs. app discussion.
Just saying that FileHamster may suit most users need for a revision/backup control system, not only for LW, but for regular documents via multiple "watch trees" as well.
:thumbsup: