PDA

View Full Version : Airline Animation

Andyjaggy
02-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Just a quick job I just finished. Enjoy.

View the animation here.
http://www.andysportfolio.com/external-images/airline/

shrox
02-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Just a quick job I just finished. Enjoy.

View the animation here.
http://www.andysportfolio.com/external-images/airline/

Pretty clouds, Hypervoxels or composited?

Nicolas Jordan
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Looks really good! I really like the engine exhaust trails. :thumbsup: I assume those were done with hypervoxels. If you don't mind me asking what was the main purpose of the animation? Was it for advertising?

Andyjaggy
02-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Vue clouds. Which amazingly enough actually rendered in about 2-3 minutes a frame.

The misty cloud stuff and the plane with contrails were all done in LW. Then composited with the Vue elements in After Effects.

m0184you
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Great look! I would be playing little more with camera move, also rotation.

adamredwoods
02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Fabulous work! Great colors. I agree with the camera, smooth out the movement more, but otherwise great results!

Mitja
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM
All rendered in Vue or just the clouds?
3 mins per frame sounds completely reasonable render time (for vue)!

Andyjaggy
02-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Just the clouds in the background were in Vue.

Larry_g1s
02-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Really nice work Andy. Everything looks solid. The clouds look great, I guess Vue is good for something huh? lol (I kid, I've only used the v5 that came with a LW release a version r two back).

Let me ask you this, the composite looks great, how did you save the rendered files from LW? I usually use png but I notice I have a little bit of white edges around my images. How did you go about avoiding that?

Andyjaggy
02-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I use EXR images 90% of the time.

Vue rocks, it has a bad wrap because most people just don't invest the time needed to learn how to use it and get decent render times out of it, but it is perfectly capable of speedy renders that look fantastic.

Andyjaggy
02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Vue 6 infinite, I haven't upgraded yet, although I would love to, if only for the improved OGL.

After Effects loads EXR files just fine, you can't access any of the buffers without 3rd party plugins however, just plain old vanilla EXR.

I love compositing in After Effects, I've used Shake and played with Fusion and while they are great and powerful, I don't do enough heavy duty compositing to have it be worth the time/money investment. I can do anything I need in After Effects.

Andyjaggy
02-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm using CS3. Sounds like the EXR support has been greatly expanded in CS4 though. Good to know.

OlaHaldor
02-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Holy... !!! :o I've tested some airliner renderings myself, but didn't get anything near this. What was total rendertime in LightWave for that ? And what render settings?

I've got Ozone 3 for LightWave, so I can get the clouds (with some limitations). I did a pass for clouds and a pass for the plane, at about 640x360 - 5 seconds worth of animation took almost two days... a tad slow.. !

3DGFXStudios
02-11-2009, 04:50 AM
Look nice! :) But I think if you remove the camera movement(position channels) it looks more realistic. Now it looks like your plane is a small toy plane in stead of a big airliner. If your camera moves like this in the real world it would travel at 400km/h or something like that. If you do only a tilt/pan movement it looks a lot better I think and it's not as jumpy as it is now.

Andyjaggy
02-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Render times in Lightwave were very good. Around 20-40 seconds for the plane. The contrails and mist took about 4 seconds a frame. The foreground mist was around 15 seconds a frame.

No I like the camera moving along with the plane. I have tweaked it a bit though to get rid of that funky twist around at the end and smoothed it out a tad.

Pamukkedi
02-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Looks really nicehttp://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/023.gif! I did a lot of aerial filming as a cameraman in my former life, so my little tip is ( in bad english): think about the camera. For a shot like this, you will need a fast airplane that can fly with same speed as the big jet. It has to be a small one, because of air turbulence. Best: a Learjet with a gyroscopic remote-controlled camera mount. So, you can fly only parallel with same speed, otherwise you loose the big jet and the director will kill you.
The camera is normally mounted to the bottom of the Learjet, so you have to fly higher then the big jet.
With your supersonic camera-dolly, you can slowly fly up and down and approach the jet to a safety distance of minimum 3 wingspans. But you can zoom in a littlebit ( the gyroscopic mount stabilizes the camera). Your camerawork should be calm, the big jet framing should be off-center to the left to indicate speed to the viewer. Then just build in some smooth and almost invisible " imperfections" from air turbulence
with the " noisy channel" ( slow speed 0.2 variable, value around 0.01 and much less, just play around in realtime, till it looks real ) in only H and B channel, because P is heavy stabilized, then it should look like a real camerawork.

By the way: how did you do such clean renderings in VUE in a couple of minutes?

Pamukkedi
02-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Looks really nice:thumbsup:! I did a lot of aerial filming as a cameraman in my former life, so my little tip is ( in bad english): think about the camera. For a shot like this, you will need a fast airplane that can fly with same speed as the big jet. It has to be a small one, because of air turbulence. Best: a Learjet with a gyroscopic remote-controlled camera mount. So, you can fly only parallel with same speed, otherwise you loose the big jet and the director will kill you.
The camera is normally mounted to the bottom of the Learjet, so you have to fly higher then the big jet.
With your supersonic camera-dolly, you can slowly fly up and down and approach the jet to a safety distance of minimum 3 wingspans. But you can zoom in a littlebit ( the gyroscopic mount stabilizes the camera). Your camerawork should be calm, the big jet framing should be off-center to the left to indicate speed to the viewer. Then just build in some smooth and almost invisible " imperfections" from air turbulence
with the " noisy channel" ( slow speed 0.2 variable, value around 0.01 and much less, just play around in realtime, till it looks real ) in only H and B channel, because P is heavy stabilized, then it should look like a real camerawork.

By the way: how did you do such clean renderings in VUE in a couple of minutes?

lwanmtr
02-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Looks great..nice and clean..a little short, but thats ok.

My only critique is the 'hand held' look. I would lose it, personally...to me it is distracting from what you are trying to show here. An Airline is going to want their plane and markings to be the focus of attention. Of course, I know hand-held a popular gimmick right now...hehe

monovich
02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm using CS3. Sounds like the EXR support has been greatly expanded in CS4 though. Good to know.

like Megladon mentioned, you can DL those plugins and use them in CS3. They are free and work great.

Nice work! I agree about the camera move. Clouds look amazing too, especially where the sun is blooming behind them.

dballesg
02-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Great job Andy! :)

I like the clouds. But the plane looks awesome as well! :)

David